EPA to investigate Ford C-Max, Fusion fuel economy

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EPA to investigate Ford C-Max, Fusion fuel economy

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Autoblog
    December 10, 2012
    by Jeremy Korzeniewski

The Environmental Protection Agency has said it "will look at the report and data" from Consumer Reports indicating that the 2013 Ford C-Max and Fusion hybrids don't come close to achieving their fuel economy estimates of 47 miles per gallon. In CR testing, the C-Max Hybrid averaged 37 mpg; the Fusion Hybrid averaged 39.

CR reports that the 10-mpg difference recorded with the C-Max represents "the largest discrepancy between our overall-mpg results and the estimates published by the EPA that we've seen among any current models." For reference, the Toyota Prius came up six mpg short of EPA estimates under CR's testing.

It's too early to suggest such drastic measures will be taken by Ford, especially since "a hybrid vehicle is going to be far more variable than a conventional vehicle" when it comes to observed fuel mileage, according to Linc Wehrly, director of light-duty vehicle center compliance division at the EPA's Ann Arbor laboratory.

Full article at link.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 donmateo's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Impala LTZ "Nancy"

Re: EPA to investigate Ford C-Max, Fusion fuel economy

LOL reviewing a report from a guy who openly admitted to mashing the pedal and driving at 70MPH. NO car will get near EPA #s doing that. This is simply ignorance at its finest.
    www.basilonestopshop.com
    Basil One-Stop Shop BBM Channel: C00120B93
    Basil One-Stop Shop BBM Customer Service Chat Available

Thanks
    My Ride
    CTA trains and buses

Quote Originally Posted by donmateo View Post
    LOL reviewing a report from a guy who openly admitted to mashing the pedal and driving at 70MPH. NO car will get near EPA #s doing that.
    Certainly, aggressive high speed driving will lower overall fuel economy. However, the EPA test protocols incorporate emissions test cycle US06 SFTP which has a peak speed of 80.8 mph and a fair amount of driving around the 70 mph mark.

My modes of transportation: CTA 'L' & buses, Metra, Pace bus, rental cars (usually GM), taxicabs, bicycling, and walking.
    Member of the "I will never purchase a new car" club.
    Get the facts about ethanol and biofuels in the USA!

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by donmateo View Post
    LOL reviewing a report from a guy who openly admitted to mashing the pedal and driving at 70MPH. NO car will get near EPA #s doing that. This is simply ignorance at its finest.
    I guess the issue is not the discrepancy, but the amount of discrepancy. Among all vehicles tested in the same manner the Ford hybrids have the largest, almost 40% greater discrepancy than the next closest.

That is significant...

Thanks

I trust that the EPA will clear this up. The last thing that Ford needs is a Hyundai incident.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FG Falcon Utility

What I'd like to know is how the C-Max fares in city driving where a Hybrid should be excelling in fuel consumption. If that is OK then perhaps we need to look at what is happening with regards free flowing highway running where maybe hybrids don't do so well.

So far nearly 8,000 people have bought C-Max in the first two months, you don't get that without a lot of good test drive feed back where the C-Max is blessed with a lot of performance. So I'm wondering if some buyers are expecting different things from their hybrids, I for one can't see how a hybrid at 65-70 mph driving makes any sense whatsoever yet look at the LA freeways with those Priuses traveling down the pool lans.... gotta wonder.
    Last edited by jpd80; 12-10-2012 at 02:41 PM.

Thanks

In my testing the Prius didn't get it's rated mileage either. I demand an inquiry!!! What a crock of chit.

Either someone at CR is blowing people at the EPA or several peoples pockets get lined by this. This just really bugs me, when did a magazine become the source for a government agencies information. Idiots one and all.

Thanks

How many people actually read what it says on the window-sticker?

Do they only see the large numbers?

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

All I have to say is that there is FAR too much emphasis placed on MPG and all this hybrid hoopla. A 20k Chevy Cruze gets 40 mpg or more. If you need to save even more fuel, DRIVE LESS!! And I don't want to hear that all the excess driving that most people do is essential. Cause it ain't.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pont3 View Post
    A 20k Chevy Cruze gets 40 mpg or more.
    You're claiming a car that gets a estimated 26 city, 39 highway, 31 combined actually delivers +40 mpg?

Have you read anything at all related to the topic of discussion here?

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

If he was actually unable to discern words from letters he would have a better grasp than a certain posters tenuous at best grasp of simple math.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) AMERICA 123's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Well..... firstly.......will they pull a Toyota NHTSA.... or an HK EPA ?
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

A lot of people on GMI don't pay attention regarding the mandated 55 mpg, which is an AVERAGE, not highway mileage. There is a huge difference, and that is the problem. Think 50 mpg city and 62 mpg highway to reach that 55 mpg. To get that will require electrics or strong hybrids, considering not even the standard Prius reaches that. Other than the Chevy Volt and Nissan Leaf, and the upcoming Spark EV, the rest don't reach those mandates.
    I hope people wake up to the massive unnecessary CAFE and EPA mandates before it's too late. At this point, there aren't enough people paying attention for Congress, the source of the CAFE/EPA nonsense, to change their idiotic and unnecessary laws.

Thanks

...many (most) EPA tests only have a 48-something mph AVERAGE speed...not 55 mph!
    2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 1.4LT 6A
    2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/SFI 4A
    2004 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/MFI 4A

1971 Dodge Charger 318 3A
    1970½ Plymouth AAR 'Cuda 340/6BBL 4M
    1968 Dodge Charger 383 3A
    1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 383 4M
    1965 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 273 4M

Thanks
    My Ride
    Impala/2009/Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Show-Me View Post
    A lot of people on GMI don't pay attention regarding the mandated 55 mpg, which is an AVERAGE, not highway mileage. There is a huge difference, and that is the problem. Think 50 mpg city and 62 mpg highway to reach that 55 mpg. To get that will require electrics or strong hybrids, considering not even the standard Prius reaches that. Other than the Chevy Volt and Nissan Leaf, and the upcoming Spark EV, the rest don't reach those mandates.
    I hope people wake up to the massive unnecessary CAFE and EPA mandates before it's too late. At this point, there aren't enough people paying attention for Congress, the source of the CAFE/EPA nonsense, to change their idiotic and unnecessary laws.
    It's a stupid law but the law is based on what the EPA counted as fuel economy 2 rather large revisions ago, not what you currently see on the stickers now.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information