GM Inside News Forum banner

Did Premium City Cars Kill the Ford Ka?

3K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  G8Montana 
#1 ·
Did Premium City Cars Kill the Ford Ka?
by Andrei Nedelea
31st December 2012

The first Ford Ka was a revelation for small car buyers in Europe, yet not necessarily a positive one. It was one of those cars which split opinions, in an extreme fashion – it was not a matter of like or dislike, being more a love-hate kind of thing.

However, while its styling may not have been to everybody’s taste, the car drove beautifully, courtesy of the Fiesta which was being built at the time, as both cars shared the same platform. This also allowed Ford to minimize development costs, and thus, they were able to make enough money, while selling the car at an honest price – a trend which has all-but disappeared nowadays, when everything just seems overpriced for what you`re getting.

Perhaps Ford will revive the Ka nameplate, but this won`t happen any time soon, primarily because the second generation car is still in production, and is about to receive a mid-life makeover, and secondly, because if they do decide to make it, there is a very high likelihood of being a premium offering, as well.

Why? Well, the Fiat 500 is selling well in the US, where it is quickly gaining popularity and recognition, and factoring in Ford’s ‘One Ford’ philosophy, the next Ka could be a premium city car, which will be sold around the world and designed to appeal to a wide array of potential buyers, and it will, therefor be flawed.
CONTINUE AT AUTOEVOLUTION

#2 ·
When I was in Britain in the winter of 1999 to 2000 the Ford Ka was all over the friggin place. I havent been following up on the following years models, so im interested in what Ford has in store for the little car.

#3 ·
while selling the car at an honest price – a trend which has all-but disappeared nowadays, when everything just seems overpriced for what you`re getting.

Can someone tell me WTF is ment by this statement. Hell, at least in America (seeings how we are so damn cheap) we don't pay NEAR what a car is worth. To the point where big trucks are so overpriced (The car companies have to make money SOMEWHERE!)

Get over yourselves, we have it pretty damn good.

#4 ·
While the Premium City Car has been successful, it doesn't change many people's need for cheap city cars. Ford may decide to not make something as basic as the current Ka but somebody will and they'll sell a lot of them.

Even with their success the number of upscale small cars sold compared to entry level small cars is a pretty wide spread.

#6 ·
I test drove a new Ford Ka a few years back. It was fun to drive, but I needed four doors, and better fuel economy so I bought
a Toyota Aygo instead. It's smaller, get's superior fuel economy with it's 1 liter 3 cylinder,( 62mpg highway ) and more fun to drive.

I argue that Toyota imported the wrong city car to the USA. The Scion IQ is impractical and overpriced, perhaps they will
bring the all new Aygo due later this year to North America.

#9 ·
A Toyota, "fun to drive?" That's news.

I know it's a joint project with Peugeot.

The iQ has that "funk factor" young Americans are looking for, as determined by Scion, while the Aygo just looks practical and straightforward.

But overall, this is the coming trend in the industrialized, and developing, world: people moving to metropolitan areas, and having smaller families, if at all. Everyone in America doesn't live in the suburbs and need a big truck anymore.

And to those who put forth that cars are appropriately priced, and that those who can't afford them are just losers: does a business exist to serve the needs of the consumer, or does the consumer exist to serve the needs of the business?

#7 ·
Wow, the article completely ignores everything Ford has had to say on the issue and just invents the story altogether. Any follow on to the Ka won't be going more premium, rather it will be going further downmarket into a position similar to the much more successful first generation Ka. Even more, it very likely won't be named Ka, though that apparently isn't set in stone.

#13 ·
Do I detect a bit of sarcasm, about an Aygo being more fun to drive than a Camaro.? :) Honestly, if gas wasn't $7.00 per gallon here in Finland, I would love to own another
Camaro, but I have to be practical, they do cost 70,000 euro's new ( $110,000 ) here. If you saw the BBC Top Gear episode where they were all driving Aygo's and playing soccer by pushing the ball around with the Aygo's, you would understand that it actually is a fun small car to drive. And those not believing that Toyota can't make a fun car, think again.
And understand that despite having a 3 cylinder engine, it doesn't make it boring. When I see late model Camaro's I still lust after them like lusting after a beautiful young women that I know is out of my league.

#19 ·
When one endeavors to bathe a baby, and realizes that with the bath water the baby was also unceremoniously evacuated from the tub why is it such a mystery as to what took place?

#21 ·
Unless you have driven one, you have no idea if it's fun or not. The struts are very stiff and the ride is too, so it
handles quite well and turns on a dime. Of course it won't give you a rush like Camaro SS, or Corvette.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.