Did Premium City Cars Kill the Ford Ka?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did Premium City Cars Kill the Ford Ka?

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

by Andrei Nedelea
    31st December 2012

The first Ford Ka was a revelation for small car buyers in Europe, yet not necessarily a positive one. It was one of those cars which split opinions, in an extreme fashion – it was not a matter of like or dislike, being more a love-hate kind of thing.

However, while its styling may not have been to everybody’s taste, the car drove beautifully, courtesy of the Fiesta which was being built at the time, as both cars shared the same platform. This also allowed Ford to minimize development costs, and thus, they were able to make enough money, while selling the car at an honest price – a trend which has all-but disappeared nowadays, when everything just seems overpriced for what you`re getting.

Perhaps Ford will revive the Ka nameplate, but this won`t happen any time soon, primarily because the second generation car is still in production, and is about to receive a mid-life makeover, and secondly, because if they do decide to make it, there is a very high likelihood of being a premium offering, as well.

Why? Well, the Fiat 500 is selling well in the US, where it is quickly gaining popularity and recognition, and factoring in Ford’s ‘One Ford’ philosophy, the next Ka could be a premium city car, which will be sold around the world and designed to appeal to a wide array of potential buyers, and it will, therefor be flawed.
    CONTINUE AT AUTOEVOLUTION
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Did Premium City Cars Kill the Ford Ka?

When I was in Britain in the winter of 1999 to 2000 the Ford Ka was all over the friggin place. I havent been following up on the following years models, so im interested in what Ford has in store for the little car.
    http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com
    I find it sad that some people wish for GM to fail and can't comprehend any good news. A plausible explanation for this kind of behavior is that you have a miserable life so you wish the same to others. Cory Pham, Autoblog Poster

GM must return its divisions to being interdependent entities within the corporation. Decentralize and free the different divisions talents to foster brand differentiation and customer loyalty.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

while selling the car at an honest price – a trend which has all-but disappeared nowadays, when everything just seems overpriced for what you`re getting.

Can someone tell me WTF is ment by this statement. Hell, at least in America (seeings how we are so damn cheap) we don't pay NEAR what a car is worth. To the point where big trucks are so overpriced (The car companies have to make money SOMEWHERE!)

Get over yourselves, we have it pretty damn good.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Charger AWD & 2003 Dakota

While the Premium City Car has been successful, it doesn't change many people's need for cheap city cars. Ford may decide to not make something as basic as the current Ka but somebody will and they'll sell a lot of them.

Even with their success the number of upscale small cars sold compared to entry level small cars is a pretty wide spread.
    * Pictured above left is a 1959 Dodge Silver Challenger. 1954 Oldsmobile Rocket F-88.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

I think it got ruined in the JV with Fiat. Even being made in Romania, it is too expensive and lost its identity. Ford should go it alone with a shortened 2dr version of the Fiesta. It can be made on the cheap.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Toyota Aygo City Car. :-)

I test drove a new Ford Ka a few years back. It was fun to drive, but I needed four doors, and better fuel economy so I bought
    a Toyota Aygo instead. It's smaller, get's superior fuel economy with it's 1 liter 3 cylinder,( 62mpg highway ) and more fun to drive.

I argue that Toyota imported the wrong city car to the USA. The Scion IQ is impractical and overpriced, perhaps they will
    bring the all new Aygo due later this year to North America.
    Previously owned Camaro's ;
    1973 RS
    1977 Z28
    1980 Z28
    1982 Z28
    2000 Z28

Previously owned Corvette;

Current ride;
    2008 Toyota Aygo city car

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Wow, the article completely ignores everything Ford has had to say on the issue and just invents the story altogether. Any follow on to the Ka won't be going more premium, rather it will be going further downmarket into a position similar to the much more successful first generation Ka. Even more, it very likely won't be named Ka, though that apparently isn't set in stone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket 88 View Post
    While the Premium City Car has been successful, it doesn't change many people's need for cheap city cars. Ford may decide to not make something as basic as the current Ka but somebody will and they'll sell a lot of them.

Even with their success the number of upscale small cars sold compared to entry level small cars is a pretty wide spread.
    The premium city car is a strategy for automakers to make a profit in a traditionally unprofitable segment.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mikkoo View Post
    I test drove a new Ford Ka a few years back. It was fun to drive, but I needed four doors, and better fuel economy so I bought
    a Toyota Aygo instead. It's smaller, get's superior fuel economy with it's 1 liter 3 cylinder,( 62mpg highway ) and more fun to drive.

I argue that Toyota imported the wrong city car to the USA. The Scion IQ is impractical and overpriced, perhaps they will
    A Toyota, "fun to drive?" That's news.

I know it's a joint project with Peugeot.

The iQ has that "funk factor" young Americans are looking for, as determined by Scion, while the Aygo just looks practical and straightforward.

But overall, this is the coming trend in the industrialized, and developing, world: people moving to metropolitan areas, and having smaller families, if at all. Everyone in America doesn't live in the suburbs and need a big truck anymore.

And to those who put forth that cars are appropriately priced, and that those who can't afford them are just losers: does a business exist to serve the needs of the consumer, or does the consumer exist to serve the needs of the business?

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 AVALANCHE

I know when the AyGo came out it was apparent Toyota/PSA designed the car to be cheap to build and spent extra effort to make it cheap VS most cars are decontented down to a price and I found the AyGo fun to drive in CITY traffic IMHO more fun that a Camaro would be

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Is that in US mpg?? Please clarify units.

What is you average fuel economy experience with the Aygo?
    It is important what WE use as our "moral compass" and ...
    the "measuring stick" chosen for judging progress/success as well.

44 mpg by 2010 ... 2013?

Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Charger AWD & 2003 Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by spidge View Post
    The premium city car is a strategy for automakers to make a profit in a traditionally unprofitable segment.
    Yes, but it seems more likely they're just allowing folks who were already going to spend $$$ on a car to buy something cuter and smaller then they're getting folks looking to spend $ on a small car to spend more.

Also, the segment is generally unprofitable for the domestics, not the imports. Right now the domestics don't have a premium city car unless you want to call the Fiat 500 a Chrysler.
    * Pictured above left is a 1959 Dodge Silver Challenger. 1954 Oldsmobile Rocket F-88.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Toyota Aygo City Car. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    I know when the AyGo came out it was apparent Toyota/PSA designed the car to be cheap to build and spent extra effort to make it cheap VS most cars are decontented down to a price and I found the AyGo fun to drive in CITY traffic IMHO more fun that a Camaro would be
    Do I detect a bit of sarcasm, about an Aygo being more fun to drive than a Camaro.? :-) Honestly, if gas wasn't $7.00 per gallon here in Finland, I would love to own another
    Camaro, but I have to be practical, they do cost 70,000 euro's new ( $110,000 ) here. If you saw the BBC Top Gear episode where they were all driving Aygo's and playing soccer by pushing the ball around with the Aygo's, you would understand that it actually is a fun small car to drive. And those not believing that Toyota can't make a fun car, think again.
    And understand that despite having a 3 cylinder engine, it doesn't make it boring. When I see late model Camaro's I still lust after them like lusting after a beautiful young women that I know is out of my league.
    Previously owned Camaro's ;
    1973 RS
    1977 Z28
    1980 Z28
    1982 Z28
    2000 Z28

Previously owned Corvette;

Current ride;
    2008 Toyota Aygo city car

GMI Staff Writer Premium Member ausrutherford's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Focus
    Quote Originally Posted by 44 mpg by 2010 View Post
    Is that in US mpg?? Please clarify units.

What is you average fuel economy experience with the Aygo?
    He's probably using the UK mileage. The UK gallon is bigger than the US gallon and even the mile is slightly different. Plus the UK teat cycle said to be easier.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
    Have sales for GM not seen in THIS POST? Email Me

Go Tigers! BCS Orange Bowl Champs!

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 AVALANCHE

Do I detect a bit of sarcasm, about an Aygo being more fun to drive than a Camaro.? :-) Honestly, if gas wasn't $7.00 per gallon here in Finland, I would love to own another
    Camaro, but I have to be practical, they do cost 70,000 euro's new ( $110,000 ) here. If you saw the BBC Top Gear episode where they were all driving Aygo's and playing soccer by pushing the ball around with the Aygo's, you would understand that it actually is a fun small car to drive. And those not believing that Toyota can't make a fun car, think again.
    And understand that despite having a 3 cylinder engine, it doesn't make it boring. When I see late model Camaro's I still lust after them like lusting after a beautiful young women that I know is out of my league.
    in HEAVY london/Berlin traffic a car like the Camaro is NOT fun to drive VS a small nimble car
    YES in more open conditions the Camaro EATS the AyGo's lunch

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information