GM Inside News Forum banner

CX-3 Debuts, Already Owns All Other Tiny Crossovers

8K views 58 replies 34 participants last post by  eaton53 
#1 ·
2016 Mazda CX-3 Debuts, Already Owns All Other Tiny Crossovers
Damn, this thing looks good.
NOVEMBER 2014
BY ALEXANDER STOKLOSA

The reveal of an all-new subcompact crossover typically elicits reactions from us that border on comatose. We look up, shrug, and then pour a beer and fantasize about all the bolt-ons we want to buy for our track cars. Or that classic Ford Bronco we could totally bring back from the brink of death.

That is more or less how we approached the unveilings of Chevrolet’s 2015 Trax, Kia’s newest Soul, and Fiat’s 500X. Even the Honda HR-V, which, being Fit-based, might have an iota of sportiness, hasn’t raised pulses around here. Nissan’s Juke, one of the first into the fray, and Jeep’s Renegade are marooned on an island of curiosity bordering on actual interest. To this bleak landscape comes Mazda, bursting in with its all-new CX-3, talking up a storm about driving pleasure and Jinba-Ittai at the 2014 L.A. auto show. Hold that beer a sec, will ya?

CONTINUE AT CAR & DRIVER

See less See more
#2 ·
I like the HR-V and the CX-3.

HR-V looks like the last gen CR-V (the best CR-V) and looks like a great "utility crossover" for moms or daughters or whatever.
CX-3 is long and sexy.

Trax is ugly.
Renegade looks like Frankenstein.
Soul is a Kia.
500X is a 500.

Juke, I also dig. It's interesting in a category dominated by largely just uninteresting cars.

#3 ·
From the looks of it, the CX-3 is my favorite of the group (Renegade a close second)

Owning a recent Mazda and knowing some co-workers that do, reliability is not a concern for me any longer (plus we normally only keep cars 2-3 years with 70-90k highway miles on them.)

The fuel economy should be stellar, with Mazdas 2.0 and 6 speed auto. Not as good as the 3 (due to height and the fact it is a hatchback), but with similar gearing, I'd expect this in the 26-27city, 36 or MAYBE 37 highway range with class competitive performance.

This is one we will surely be looking at next summer.

#4 ·
This is the perfect counterpoint to GM's ineptness.
Mary Barra is more of the same - lazy, uncompetitive, clueless, and not fit for the job.
The Trax was a lazy attempt to get the mainstream of the market. Didn't bother bringing production to the U.S., didn't update the front clip, didn't improve the cheap abomination that is MyLink, didn't improve the dash or offer a engine upgrade.
I root for the Mets, Jets, Islanders, Knicks and GM. All losers.

#14 ·
In my last visit to Canada (last summer) I noticed TONS of late-model Mazdas with rusty tailgates, often around the licence plate bracket / surround, and some around the wheel wheels. It is just anecdotal, but it was obvious enough that it really caught my attention. Is this a known problem with recent Mazdas? I love their designs, and the bit of experience I have with them lead me to think that there are no major problems, but I was shocked to see so many rusty, not-that-old Mazdas...

#37 ·
I'd say it is a known problem, at least with the Ford-era cars. My own 1st Gen 6 has a small amount of rust on a rear fender lip (pretty sure it was scraped up when aftermarket suspension was put in, then salty Michigan roads did the rest), a friend's CX-7 developed rust staining from the license plate screws on the tailgate (covered under warranty), another friend just picked up a Speed 6 that has a bit of rust on a rear fender above the wheel. My fam also has a 2nd gen 6 with no rust, and a brand new 3rd gen 6 that is obviously flawless - we'll get to see firsthand how they age. As long as you take care of it, it should be fine but don't expect scratched or scraped areas to not rust on salt covered roads.

#15 ·
CX-3 is def best looking in its class, but thats not saying much when RAV4s and CR-Vs, and the Trax all are pretty boring and look more or less the same and the Juke and Soul are just god awful ugly!

#17 ·
I think that the Buick Encore looks fine and is doing very well in this segment. (Though I hope that GM gives it a more powerful engine and better front-seat armrest in 2018.)

The Mazda is nothing special to me; I prefer the Buick.

Reactions: SRFCTY
#36 ·
I just had an Encore as a rental last week. I'll admit it's an attractive vehicle from the outside, and it drives okay, but I was unimpressed with the interior materials and layout, and the overall feel of it (which was cheap), especially for the price they are asking for them. I'd take the Mazda any day over the Encore.

#20 ·
Owns other Small Crossovers???

Be very surprised if the HR-V and Renegade don't rock the sales charts and totally dominate this segment within 24 months.

The CR-V's approx 330,000 sales for 2014 will move a lot of HR-V's for Honda for those who still liked the original CR-V's smaller size.

The fact the Renegade is almost the exact size of the "old" Cherokee the made it's debut in 1984 will make it quite popular and sell to many buyers attracted to the "new" Cherokee that is now Jeep's best seller.

The CX-3 will do well enough but doubt it is the sales leader of the segment.

GM needs to answer with the Granite as a CUV with styling cues that lean more towards the Renegade and completely different than the Encore, similar the the Enclave/Acadia that has proven quite successful (and profitable) for Buick/GMC with most selling to "new to the Brand" conquest buyers.

Problem is GM's management is not that market savvy and will continue to be "owned" by Jeep and Honda, not to mention Subaru in the hot small CUV market when it is sitting on a brand (GMC) that every other automaker outside of FCA would give anything to have as a brand for this segment and that includes Honda and Toyota. Give Honda, Toyota or VW GMC as a brand and they will show GM how to make some serious money. Jeep will sell 1 million units in 2014 and is really taking off in Europe where GM should be offering GMC product to help it sell 1 million GMC CUV/SUV, and another 1 million+ trucks globally by 2020 if not by 2018. GMC only needs the product.

#21 ·
The proportions are pretty grody. Long nose, no tail, and no specs with the story.

But looks are in the eye of the beholder. WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE?

With presumably pretty decent aero and a fairly low profile, this should do well in the highway MPG department.

With such a pronounced schnoz, how much space is left for the pipples and stuffs?

Anyway, good luck Mazda. I had two Proteges which were both excellent cars.

And congratulations, Alexander Stoklosa, for having a mancrush on a car that challenges Pat Bedard's stiffie for the Accords over the years.

#28 ·
Mazda has all the odds against them and still they do manage to turn them - this only goes to prove it's not about having an "inherent strategic advantage", but rather working hard enough.

I am not a fan of the CX-3 as much as the 6, but you simply cannot deny that Mazda is doing the good thing and pushing the right buttons, on their own scale.

#30 ·
These will sell like wildfire down here.

#41 ·
I don't care for it. It's a little station wagon with an open grille. That's it. It should be listed on the News Ticker.

#51 ·
I have a feeling that subcompact crossovers are going to cconquest subcompact cars.
They seem to be a better fit in the US market and the higher riding position is just the ticket
for getting buyers into the showroom. Load them with options and watch the numbers increase.

#59 ·
I have also driven a Mazda 2 and that car is nothing to write home about either.
Cheap and loud is how I'd describe it. This needs to be a big improvement.
Other Mazdas are quite nice (although he 6's powertrain is sorely lacking) so there's no reason why it can't be better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.