Consumer Reports says Ford's hybrid fuel economy is coming up short

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Consumer Reports says Ford's hybrid fuel economy is coming up short

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Consumer Reports says Ford's hybrid fuel economy is coming up short

Consumer Reports says Ford’s highly touted new hybrid cars are delivering lower than expected fuel efficiency.

In real world testing conducted by the magazine, the 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid, which has an EPA rating of 47 mpg, got 39 mpg while the 2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid, also rated at 47 mpg, delivered just 37 mpg.

The publication says that these are the worst discrepancies it’s ever seen in its tests.

Several other outlets, including Green Car Reports and FoxNews.com, have also noted that the cars seem to come up short of their advertised mpg.

Article continues at link

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/...#ixzz2EJUOtZkm

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    15Soul+ Yellow; 01 PT LTD

Re: Consumer Reports says Ford's hybrid fuel economy is coming up short

Rutt roe!

Looks like the exaggerated-MPG beam of light is about to get bent by the gravitational forces at CR!

15Soul+ 13Charger8A 13Soul 11 200V6 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02AccordV6 01Accord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCivic5m 96Concorde 95Intrepid 94Protege5m 92SHO5m 93Protege5m 92P50Taurus 91Camry5m

People ask the difference between a leader and a boss. The leader leads, and the boss drives. --Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Rutt roe!

Looks like the exaggerated-MPG beam of light is about to get bent by the gravitational forces at CR!
    Hopefully the MPG beam of light doesn't hit GM - it's ok for Ford and Hyundai, just a minor blip for them. But if GM does this it will be a major scandle.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Tre-Tre's Avatar
    Thanks

I guess Ford and Hyundai share the same Math wizzard for calculating fuel economy. How embarrassing it must be, GM better remember that for them fudging their fuel economy numbers is not okay.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Chevrolet Volt Blue Topaz

Quote Originally Posted by Tre-Tre View Post
    I guess Ford and Hyundai share the same Math wizzard for calculating fuel economy. How embarrassing it must be, GM better remember that for them fudging their fuel economy numbers is not okay.
    For Ford's sake I hope not. Remember in Hyundai/Kia's case their recent problems have nothing to do with their real world fuel economy. Hyundai/Kia sent bad test data to the EPA and the EPA caught them in random testing. I would hope that Ford's labs doing EPA testing at least know how to run the EPA test.

From what I have heard it has been implied by many in the industry that Ford is just really good at calibrating their vehicles for the EPA test.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Terrain Denali, White

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Hopefully the MPG beam of light doesn't hit GM - it's ok for Ford and Hyundai, just a minor blip for them. If GM does this it will be a major scandle.

Correct.This would be a screaming OMG from the media if it was GM....but Ford? It will be noted and then quietly go away as a story.

GMI Staff Writer Premium Member ausrutherford's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Focus

They had been testing the cars with these engines at that mpg figure for at least 1 1/2 years before release...
    Have sales for GM not seen in THIS POST? Email Me

Go Tigers! BCS Orange Bowl Champs!

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC Gigantor's Avatar
    Thanks

There is a difference here....

Did Ford knowingly provide false data on the road to their EPA FE numbers?

or

Did Ford correctly perform the mandated EPA testings on their hybrids to reach their numbers?

-If it's the former then Ford deserves what is coming their way.

If it's the latter then we should be pissed at the EPA and their testing parameters. I laugh when posts I see posts (not necessarily on this board) that read "Ha ha looks like Ford got caught lying about their fuel economy numbers!" If they did the EPA tests and came to the posted numbers then don't be mad at Ford.

Anyways, did CR disclose the data, test conditions, type of tires, total weight of the vehicle incl. passengers/test equipment, weather etc? If not...well, they should because those things are very very important when calculating FE.

jry
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member jry's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Chrysler 300, others

Consider the source.
    '13 Chrysler 300 AWD, '14 Expy EL,'09 Escape Hybrid and shopping for a sports car.
    Good night and good luck.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 BlueMontreal's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantor View Post

Did Ford correctly perform the mandated EPA testings on their hybrids to reach their numbers?

-If it's the former then Ford deserves what is coming their way.

If it's the latter then we should be pissed at the EPA and their testing parameters. I laugh when posts I see posts (not necessarily on this board) that read "Ha ha looks like Ford got caught lying about their fuel economy numbers!" If they did the EPA tests and came to the posted numbers then don't be mad at Ford.

Anyways, did CR disclose the data, test conditions, type of tires, total weight of the vehicle incl. passengers/test equipment, weather etc? If not...well, they should because those things are very very important when calculating FE.
    I hope Ford did not lie so they can sue CR.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cruze LT

10 MPG difference in the real world? Ouch... I know I would be pissed.
    "What about that "best all-around subcompact car" business? Yeah, we're gonna say it: The Chevy Sonic – manual or auto – is just that. You heard it, Fiesta fanatics"

-Inside line.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    15Soul+ Yellow; 01 PT LTD

Quote Originally Posted by MechEng View Post
    For Ford's sake I hope not. Remember in Hyundai/Kia's case their recent problems have nothing to do with their real world fuel economy. Hyundai/Kia sent bad test data to the EPA and the EPA caught them in random testing. I would hope that Ford's labs doing EPA testing at least know how to run the EPA test.

From what I have heard it has been implied by many in the industry that Ford is just really good at calibrating their vehicles for the EPA test.
    ONE recent problem Hyundai had was class action lawsuits regarding the Elantra MPG, claimed vs. reality.

I saw this bubbling up at Hyundai boards many moons ago. The following links are dated July 2012.

They had problems before the feds got involved.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jul...suits-20120711

http://green.autoblog.com/2012/07/10...or-misleading/
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 12-06-2012 at 07:14 PM.

15Soul+ 13Charger8A 13Soul 11 200V6 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02AccordV6 01Accord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCivic5m 96Concorde 95Intrepid 94Protege5m 92SHO5m 93Protege5m 92P50Taurus 91Camry5m

People ask the difference between a leader and a boss. The leader leads, and the boss drives. --Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Tests show Ford Fusion, C-Max hybrids don't live up to 47-mpg claims
    Dec 6, 2012 2:00 PM
    CONSUMER REPORTS

Ford has been making some eye-opening claims about the fuel economy of the redesigned 2013 Fusion Hybrid sedan and new C-Max Hybrid wagon: "47 city/47 highway/47 combined mpg." After running both vehicles through our real-world tests, we have gotten very good results. But they are far below Ford's ambitious triple-47 figures.

In our tests, the Fusion Hybrid delivered 39 mpg overall and 35 and 41 in city and highway conditions, respectively. For the C-Max Hybrid, we got 37 mpg overall, with 35 and 38 for city and highway. These two vehicles have the largest discrepancy between our overall-mpg results and the estimates published by the EPA that we've seen among any current models.

How did we measure the real-world fuel economy? Like every car we test, we first put 2,000 break-in miles on the Fusion and C-Max hybrids after buying them from local dealerships. Then, we installed a precision fuel meter in the fuel line. To measure the city mpg, we ran the cars through the standard course on our test track, which consists of regimented speeds, multiple stops, and predetermined idle time. For the highway mpg, we twice drove the cars each way on a specific section of a local highway at 65 mph. Tests are run by multiple drivers on each vehicle, conducted only under certain weather conditions, and corrected for ambient temperature. (Learn more about how we test cars.)

From the comments section.......

wdhulet
    December 6, 2012 3:05 PM

OH Great!! I just bought a Ford C-max and now I find Ford has "exaggerated" about the EPA mileage!!??? So what are we C-max owners to do? We were duped by Ford's promise of 47 mpg. I have 1500 miles on my C-max and have so far been at only 38 mpg. And I don't accept Ford's claim "it's how you drive" answer to the C-max's mpg shortfall. I owned a Toyota Prius and consistently got 48 to 50 mpg. The main reason I bought a C-max was for the promised gas mileage. Will Ford offer us compensation?
    Ouch!!

News Contributor
    Thanks

Is Consumer Reports owned by the same people who own Fox News?

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nruggiero View Post
    Is Consumer Reports owned by the same people who own Fox News?

No.

Why do you ask?

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information