Chrysler 200 passes 200K sales mark, as Dart misses sales target

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chrysler 200 passes 200K sales mark, as Dart misses sales target

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Chrysler 200 passes 200K sales mark, as Dart misses sales target

Dart Misses November Sales Target; 200 Passes 200K
    Aaron Foley | WardsAuto
    Dec. 3, 2012

Sales of the closely watched Dodge Dart slipped in November amid rising inventory levels and an added third shift at the Illinois plant where the compact is built.

The Dart notched 4,489 deliveries for Chrysler, WardsAuto data shows. The highest sales month for the Dart was in October with 5,455 deliveries.

The Chrysler 200 midsize sedan, the spotlight of the company’s heralded “Imported From Detroit” campaign, surpassed 200,000 deliveries last month since its unveiling last year. Sales of the 200 are up 49.6% so far this year from like-2011.

The Chrysler brand sold 12,130 vehicles overall in November, up 3.0%.

The Dodge Avenger midsize sedan also has been a consistent performer, with 7,132 deliveries in November and a 54.8% rise in 11-month sales year-over-year. Total Dodge-brand sales for the month stood at 20,387, up 25.2%.
    CONTINUE AT: http://wardsauto.com/auto-makers/dar...00-passes-200k
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Re: Chrysler 200 passes 200K sales mark, as Dart misses sales target

I think this one is pretty easy to figure out.

The good: The 200 is an average looking car at best, but has a nicely redesigned interior, Great powerful engine for the class, and a very low price when all incentives are considered. What do many mainstream buyers want? A cheap, powerful car that is at least competitive on fuel consumption.

The bad: The dart is a pretty good looking car, but its powertrain choices are decent for its class, but not too impressive when compared to cars that are oh-so-close in size to it. Also, when optioned up to how many people would buy them,they aren't a real bargain.

Thanks

There should be entire studies done about the success of the mildly freshened 200. The press pretty much despises it (or at least never recommends it), its reputation for quality is lacking, and it's basically just OK looking inside and out. EVEN THE BACK SEAT ISN'T ALL THAT ROOMY(!), base models still make do with a 4-speed auto, and it doesn't have pushbutton start. And yet, here we are with it emerging one of the best-selling passenger cars in North America. While I suppose fleet sales figure in significantly, sales are sales, and no doubt Chrysler is making tens of millions of dollars on this old platform now. This is the kind of thing GM used to be able to pull off with cars like the Grand Am, but not so much anymore. What is the secret? Take the money out of engineering and just slap that cash on the hood?

Thanks
    My Ride
    GM V-8's

I think the Dart is a good looking car, but by the time you option it up it costs as much as or more than an Avenger (with cash on the hood).
    1968 Buick Skylark (Buick 350/4)
    1972 Chevrolet Corvette (350 LT-1)
    2001 Chevrolet Tahoe LS (5.3 liter)
    1983 Chevrolet C/10 Silverado (350 Goodwrench)

Former: 1989 GMC Suburban R1500 (5.7 liter)
    1969 Buick Skylark Custom (Buick 350/2)
    1971 Buick Riviera (Buick 455)
    1971 Buick Electra 225 (Buick 455)

Without Buick, GM never would have existed.

Thanks

Pricing is killing the Dart. I really wanted that car to be a success for Chrysler, its a damn fine car. But it runs into mid sized prices when not even fully optioned up.
    http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com
    I find it sad that some people wish for GM to fail and can't comprehend any good news. A plausible explanation for this kind of behavior is that you have a miserable life so you wish the same to others. Cory Pham, Autoblog Poster

GM must return its divisions to being interdependent entities within the corporation. Decentralize and free the different divisions talents to foster brand differentiation and customer loyalty.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

It just goes to show that there are still a lot of traditional buyers out there that see two similarly sized sedans, one all new with weak 4 cylinder engines and fat price tags and one that is a bit older but much improved with a potent V6 and lots of value for less coin. I know which of the two I would pick with my current salary and the weak economy figured in. I just looked at two such examples. The silver 2013 Avenger with V6, bluetooth, 18" alloys, Uconnect, Satellite radio etc is on sale for only $17995 or I can get a 2013 Dart with the weak sauce 2.0 liter L4, automatic and about the same equipment for 18995. I'm sure the dart feels more modern but the Avenger/200 are just a better value for the money and a pocket rocket to boot.

Thanks

The Dart's problem is the Avenger, which is small for a midsize, while the Dart is large for a compact. That and the Avenger is an aging, unloved car that sells on incentives not available on the new Dart.

People interested in "more for your money" are going to buy an Avenger over a Dart at this point. So the Dart is going to struggle until the next non-bottom-feeding Avenger is out.

As for the 200, I'm shocked it's doing so well and am nervous that it will only encourage the Chrysler brand to continue with lower-priced models where Dodge should play and not make a proper push upmarket where they belong.

My guess is that the 200 has at least 50% fleet mix. Especially since the 200 convertible, like its Sebring and LeBaron forebears, has always been a fleet queen.
    Peace,

Autoplaybook

Wouldn't You Really Rather Have A Buick?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

I think the darts missing a little personality I want to like it but it should be less Americanized.

The 200 is ridiculous but famous so it sells.

I can't even begin to explain why the avenger still sells other than it must be heavily subsidized.

I hope Sergio and his team can work the same magic on the dart that they did with the rest of their car lineup....

Make them cool

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    13 Charger 8A; 01 PT LTD

The press hates this POS, therefore why would anyone buy it?

From personal experience, it's a lot of bang for the buck.

For 24 grand sticker or about 19 OTD we had heated cloth seats, 17" Michelin MXV4s, 280 HP V6/6A, and if you check my fuelly it didn't do badly at all. I think it was just loosening up when we traded it at about 5300 miles.

13Soul 11 200V6 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02AccordV6 01Accord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCivic5m 96Concorde 95Intrepid 94Protege5m 92SHO5m 93Protege5m 92P50Taurus 91Camry5m 79Parisienne

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.--Thomas Jefferson

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Maybe the 200 compared to heavy-weights "Camcordtima" is the little guy we love to cheer for?

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Well, I can add this, the 200 is a mechanical twin to the Avenger, and we have a 2011 Avenger wit the 3.6 and now about 40,000 miles....

The back seat...I know the dimensions aren't that great, but it FEELS like you have more room back there than our old Malibu and the back seat is very comfortable. The car has a lot of power with pretty decent mileage...280+HP with a 6 speed auto and rated at 29mph highway (got close to 32 on a trip between NY and Florida last year.) Zero, let me say it again, ZERO problems of any kind..nothing mechanical, nothing with the paint, nothing at all. Finally, we got it out the door for just under $20,000 with incentives.

Thanks
    My Ride
    14 Dart Rallye,87 Fiero 3800SC

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post

From personal experience, it's a lot of bang for the buck.

For 24 grand sticker or about 19 OTD we had heated cloth seats, 17" Michelin MXV4s, 280 HP V6/6A, and if you check my fuelly it didn't do badly at all. I think it was just loosening up when we traded it at about 5300 miles.
    WE traded the Jetta(lease) in for a 200. Wifes car. It has the 18" wheel/tire package. Touring package, cloth seats, 2.4L 4 engine. Low payments and my wife likes it. They do a good job with the LED lights through out the car. LED's in the interior make the car more upscale. For a Chrysler I expected more luxury, some things you would expect are not on the car. To me the seats need to be addressed!!!! Flat un supportive bucket seats. Weak.. The suspension when cruising on expressway and come into a curve with uneven(bad concrete- we have a lot in Michigan) road surface the front feels real weird to the point of being very unsafe. I think they need to address the poopie struts in the front. They are weak when cornering at speeds. Feels like a broken shock/spring. If they want to sell more 200's they need to improve the suspension. My 88 base Fiero with 186K handles better than the 200 and she has only 11K on it. Really bad suspension. The 18" make up for the weak suspension in cornering.
    Average mileage has been 21 - 22. Not what I call great. It does have good power for the size car.
    Last edited by 88Fiero; 12-05-2012 at 04:54 PM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 vcs2600's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 88Fiero View Post
    WE traded the Jetta(lease) in for a 200. Wifes car. It has the 18" wheel/tire package. Touring package, cloth seats, 2.4L 4 engine. Low payments and my wife likes it. They do a good job with the LED lights through out the car. LED's in the interior make the car more upscale.
    I had a 200 rental last month, and I would agree, the lighting looks very nice. All in all, the car seemed much more upscale in person than in photographs, very Audi-esque.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Corvette

Price - price - price. The Avenger/200 go out at bargain basement pricing. I see them advertised all over the place new for peanuts. And they're adequate transportation. Then you throw the Dart in the showroom at mucher higher out the door pricing and this is what you get.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    13 Charger 8A; 01 PT LTD

Quote Originally Posted by 88Fiero View Post
    WE traded the Jetta(lease) in for a 200. Wifes car. It has the 18" wheel/tire package. Touring package, cloth seats, 2.4L 4 engine. Low payments and my wife likes it. They do a good job with the LED lights through out the car. LED's in the interior make the car more upscale. For a Chrysler I expected more luxury, some things you would expect are not on the car. To me the seats need to be addressed!!!! Flat un supportive bucket seats. Weak.. The suspension when cruising on expressway and come into a curve with uneven(bad concrete- we have a lot in Michigan) road surface the front feels real weird to the point of being very unsafe. I think they need to address the poopie struts in the front. They are weak when cornering at speeds. Feels like a broken shock/spring. If they want to sell more 200's they need to improve the suspension. My 88 base Fiero with 186K handles better than the 200 and she has only 11K on it. Really bad suspension. The 18" make up for the weak suspension in cornering.
    Average mileage has been 21 - 22. Not what I call great. It does have good power for the size car.
    I can't address your handling issues, I never had any and always found the car stable at all speeds and in all conditions.

Unfortunately 18" tires do not automatically make handling better. They and their wheels typically weigh more and thus add unsprung weight. Additionally, the 18s are usually GY LS2 which are not the world's finest tires.

The V6 in real driving show about the same MPGs as the four, so you may get a bigger fuel tank but you won't get better mileage with the "World" engine.

13Soul 11 200V6 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02AccordV6 01Accord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCivic5m 96Concorde 95Intrepid 94Protege5m 92SHO5m 93Protege5m 92P50Taurus 91Camry5m 79Parisienne

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.--Thomas Jefferson

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information