BMW offers engine to extend range of i3 EV

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BMW offers engine to extend range of i3 EV

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Automotive News
    January 22, 2013
    by Luca Ciferri

BMW will offer a two-cylinder motorcycle engine and a generator to extend the range of its i3 electric vehicle.

Herbert Diess, BMW's head of r&d, said the package will be offered as an option on the i3. He did not say how much it will cost. The option will be available when the i3 goes on sale globally in the fourth quarter.

The i3 has a range on a single electrical charge of 97 to 145 kilometers (60 to 90 miles). A two-cylinder gasoline engine, derived from a BMW motorcycle, extends the range to about 400 kilometers (250 miles) on a tank of gasoline, Diess said last week at the Detroit auto show.

The engine is housed in the trunk and connected to a generator that recharges the battery. The engine doesn't transmit mechanical power directly to the wheels.

Full article at link.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: BMW offers engine to extend range of i3 EV

"For those who plan a daily use of the range extender, probably the i3 is not the right choice, with a plug-in hybrid model being a better suitable solution."

GM does not agree.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Sounds more like a series hybrid. Wondering the engine is connected to the back wheels also or its a pure series hybrid.

BMW should move the electric motor to back and the generator to the Front so still they can keep the drive dynamics.

Lot times i too thought , if the generator can be run in a such efficiency and a very narrow rpm, series hybrid is a good solution.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Perhaps the poaching of the Volt program's leading engineer is leading to some revisions with their electric car programs?

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 62Lincoln View Post
    "For those who plan a daily use of the range extender, probably the i3 is not the right choice, with a plug-in hybrid model being a better suitable solution."

GM does not agree.
    Not sure what you mean. GM touts the fact that the volts electric-only range is within the commuting distance for the majority of drivers. Plugged in daily and the Volt can get you to work and back using little to no gas. But, if you want to take a longer trip, the range extender provides that option. The range extender never solely powers the Volt, but it does offer some assistance to the electric motor at high speeds. Other than that, BMW and GM's approaches have some similarities. The big difference is weight. BMW is using extensive carbon fibre to keep weight down, while provides more electric range and means it can get away with a minimal range extender.

But, if drive, say 150 miles a day on a regular basis, a diesel might be a more efficient overall vehicle.

GMI Europe Correspondent Bravada's Avatar
    Thanks

I really hate BMW for not making use of another brand for those cars than BMW. It would have made a much better MINI, or even a Saab. Boo, BMW, boo. I wonder how long before BMW starts selling BMW-branded groceries and toiletries.

GMI Staff Writer Premium Member Toto's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Opel Corsa GSI

There was a little hope that, after GM went bancrupt, BMW or MB would buy Opel for their low-end FWD program.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Its a pure BEV, optionally a series hybrid with a 35hp 650cc two cylinder engine, good for about 75mph on a flat hwy, 9 liter gasoline tank under the front hood.. two magazines have published test drives, looks like a winner if you can afford it. about 100 miles range on the battery if you take it easy, really hard you get 80 miles before the range extender starts.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/...ontent-block=0

"So, an aluminium chassis housing the batteries and rear-mounted, 170bhp electric motor is paired with a carbonfibre bodyshell; with the i3, materials typically the preserve of luxury cars and supercars are being used on a small hatchback.

When the i3 goes on sale in November, the standard electric i3 will cost around €40,000. To eliminate the i3’s vulnerability to running out of juice, buyers will be able to specify a range extender hybrid version for an extra €3000. This employs a 35bhp two-cylinder motorbike engine to act as on-board generator: it’s mounted close to the rear wheels and accompanied by a 9-litre fuel tank wedged behind the front axle.

Everything about this car is unusual – and not just the swirly camouflage to confuse spy photographers. For a start, the i3 is shorter than a Suzuki Swift, wider than a 7-series and lower than a Hyundai i10. It weighs 1250kg – significantly lighter than the 1567kg Nissan Leaf, but a couple of hundred kilos more than the conventional Swift. In production form, the ground-breaking low-drag shape blends these stand-out proportions with a unique silver, blue and black colour combo. Unhindered by B-posts, the roomy cabin is accessed through front-hinged front doors and rear-hinged rear doors. A two-door coupé may follow in 2015.

A left-hander beckons. The sign says 120kph max, but we barely lift off. The car turns in, the wheels grab the drenched tarmac with vigour, and the i3 carves through, dancing along its ambitious slip angle yet remaining flat and nicely balanced. No, not a single warning light flashed in the process. No momentary brake intervention, no ESP interaction, no tug at the steering. Is the system not working, or am I missing something here? ‘On snow or gravel, ESP will reel you in and keep the vehicle on a relatively short leash,’ explains Ulrich Kranz. ‘In the wet, we don’t really depend on the electronics. That’s the beauty of this set-up. Its natural limits are very high, so you have to be going wild to overstep the mark.’

Weight distribution and the centre of gravity are critical to the i3’s dynamics. The batteries and motor are mounted low in the chassis, with the energy cells evenly spread out between the axles, to make the chassis grounded and balanced."

Lots of racetrack stuff edited out..

Batteries from Samsung..

another test drive:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...ll-electric-i3

10. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information