BMW on course for 2012 sales record after strong October

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW on course for 2012 sales record after strong October

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Automotive News
    November 9, 2012

BMW said it is heading for its best sales year despite a flat European market after the company's October global volume increased by 13.2 percent to 157,618 vehicles.

"We are well on course to achieve a new sales record in 2012 despite the headwind present in some European markets," BMW sales and marketing board member Ian Robertson said in a statement today.

Deliveries of BMW-branded cars rose 15.4 percent to 132,823 last month compared with October 2011, putting the brand ahead of rivals Audi, whose sales rose nearly 14 percent to 123,600 and Mercedes brand, whose sales were up 6 percent to 109,632.

Monthly sales of the group's Mini brand rose 2.7 percent to 24,483.

In China, BMW group sales increased by 51.7 percent to 27,828, boosted by demand for the locally built X1 small crossover and the long wheelbase version of the 3 series sedan.

In the United States, BMW Group's largest-single market, deliveries rose 19 percent to 32,371.

In Europe volume increased by less than half a percent to 71,368.

Full article at link.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

Re: BMW on course for 2012 sales record after strong October

32,371 BMWs "sold" in the USA? Considering some 70% of the cars are leased, actual sales would be less than 10,000, right?
    When people figure out true cost of ownership, which is very high, they decide that they don't want to own a BMW, but rather lease it for its first ownership period, trying to avoid the inevitable high maintenance and operating costs the BMWs have become infamous for. Remember: Lease, don't buy.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    IS 350

Doesn't BMW have free maintenance for 4 years.

Bottom line is BMW and Audi are setting sales records so is Mercedes up next.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by big swede View Post
    Doesn't BMW have free maintenance for 4 years.
    Bottom line is BMW and Audi are setting sales records so is Mercedes up next.
    Think about it: does anybody offer anything for free?
    You pay. For it one way or the other. BMW have high maintenance and repair costs, so they hide it for your lease period, but someone pays, perhaps the next owner, but someone pays, that is for certain.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Show-Me View Post
    You pay. For it one way or the other. BMW have high maintenance and repair costs, so they hide it for your lease period, but someone pays, perhaps the next owner, but someone pays, that is for certain.
    Part of it is likely factored into the purchase of the vehicle, also maintenance cost over the first four years really shouldn't be that much.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Aren't most expensive cars costly to maintain? Does anyone think the ATS will be cheap to maintain? I do expect it to be somewhat cheaper than the BMW due to the widely used engines across GM, etc, but I bet it will be more than a Chevy.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Aren't most expensive cars costly to maintain? Does anyone think the ATS will be cheap to maintain? I do expect it to be somewhat cheaper than the BMW due to the widely used engines across GM, etc, but I bet it will be more than a Chevy.
    In this class of cars they tend to do things like use synthetic motor oils which cost more.

However I wouldn't be shocked if the ATS 2.5L cost about the same to maintain as the Malibu 2.5.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 F150 ecobeast 4x4

If you compare lease rates with the competition you will see that BMW is on par with this cost. Free maintenance for first 4 years is a bonus. You don't make any sense saying they hide it for your lease period and then say perhaps the next owner pays for it. Make up your mind.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

32,371 BMWs "sold" in the USA? Considering some 70% of the cars are leased, actual sales would be less than 10,000, right?
    When people figure out true cost of ownership, which is very high, they decide that they don't want to own a BMW, but rather lease it for its first ownership period, trying to avoid the inevitable high maintenance and operating costs the BMWs have become infamous for. Remember: Lease, don't buy.
    A lease is a sale the same as any other sale. It is just sold to the leasing company and not the driver. The leasing company may be owned by a bank, the auto manufacturer or a number of other companies.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 SX Holden Captiva Diesel

A sale is a sale

If it was a Caddy or a Chevy it would be ok but somehow for BMW it's evil?

Ok
    She’s got four a colour, four a clear
    She’s lookin’ better year by year
    And unlike you tonight she’s riding low

So baby its goodbye
    You could never get me high
    Like when I light the nitro on my
    HQ454 Monroe

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

This will be the first full month of sales of the ATS, I wonder how this will effect the sales for the 3.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC CorsaTurboC's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hunchman View Post
    If you compare lease rates with the competition you will see that BMW is on par with this cost. Free maintenance for first 4 years is a bonus. You don't make any sense saying they hide it for your lease period and then say perhaps the next owner pays for it. Make up your mind.
    RESALE value has everything to do with lease rates. With free maintenance, the used BMW buyer gets jobbed, not the lessor.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 F150 ecobeast 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by CorsaTurboC View Post
    RESALE value has everything to do with lease rates. With free maintenance, the used BMW buyer gets jobbed, not the lessor.
    I'm not buying it your GMI expert stated "trying to avoid the inevitable high maintenance and operating costs the BMWs have become infamous for. Remember: Lease, don't buy." If this is at all true the BMW would have a terrible resale value and therefore the used buyer would not be jobbed.

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by hunchman View Post
    I'm not buying it your GMI expert stated "trying to avoid the inevitable high maintenance and operating costs the BMWs have become infamous for. Remember: Lease, don't buy." If this is at all true the BMW would have a terrible resale value and therefore the used buyer would not be jobbed.
    You should because he is very right, and this is coming from a used BMW owner. Do not confuse off lease still retaining a small portion of warranty vehicles for high mileage BMW's if you are really attempting to discern true resale value. Over half of BMW's are leased, and notwithstanding significant mileage driven no on in their right mind would purchase a BMW in my humble opinion.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 F150 ecobeast 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    You should because he is very right, and this is coming from a used BMW owner. Do not confuse off lease still retaining a small portion of warranty vehicles for high mileage BMW's if you are really attempting to discern true resale value. Over half of BMW's are leased, and notwithstanding significant mileage driven no on in their right mind would purchase a BMW in my humble opinion.

I'll make it simple for you. IF a BMW was an unreliable, crappy not worth a dime vehicle then the resale value whether off lease with or without warranty left would be terrible. The resale on BMW's is doing fine and much better than most luxury cars. Your opinion is noted but does not reflect what happens in real life.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information