Best-selling Toyota Camry performs poorly in latest crash test

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best-selling Toyota Camry performs poorly in latest crash test

Thanks

Honda Accord, Suzuki Kizashi rate highest on new crash test; 2 Toyotas rated poor

Honda Accord, Suzuki Kizashi rate highest on new crash test; 2 Toyotas rated poor
    Automotive News
    December 20, 2012
    By: Gabe Nelson

Thirteen mid-sized cars have earned high marks on the insurance industry's newest frontal-crash test, but a pair of Toyota models tested fared worse than the rest.

The so-called small overlap test involves crashing the front corner of a car into a barrier at 40 mph. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety devised the test to simulate a collision with a stationary object such as a tree or a utility pole.

Just three out of 11 luxury cars rated "good" or "acceptable" on the insurance industry group's first round of tests this summer, but today the IIHS gave a good rating to the four-door Honda Accord and the Suzuki Kizashi, and an acceptable rating to 11 more mid-sized cars.

"Normally we see new technology and new innovations go into the luxury cars first, so we see them doing better," IIHS President Adrian Lund said. "This is a bit of a surprise."

Three other models -- the Hyundai Sonata, Chevrolet Malibu and Volkswagen Jetta sedan -- rated as "marginal."
    More at link - including full list of tested vehicle ratings.
    "Here's to Mr. Iacocca and his failed experiment, the DeLorean!" - The Office

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    15Soul+ Yellow; 01 PT LTD

Re: Honda Accord, Suzuki Kizashi rate highest on new crash test; 2 Toyotas rated poor

Now this is interesting.

And odd. Optima does well, Sonata not so well. I see my 200 did OK.

15Soul+ 13Charger8A 13Soul 11 200V6 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02AccordV6 01Accord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCivic5m 96Concorde 95Intrepid 94Protege5m 92SHO5m 93Protege5m 92P50Taurus 91Camry5m

People ask the difference between a leader and a boss. The leader leads, and the boss drives. --Theodore Roosevelt

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Re: Honda Accord, Suzuki Kizashi rate highest on new crash test; 2 Toyotas rated poor

It is unacceptable that the Malibu fails in so many areas, and this latest area is one that is very important to many buyers in this class.

Thanks

The vids were posted here on GMI. In the Sonata's test, the curtain airbags didn't deploy, and I think that brought its rating down some.

They're interesting videos, seeing how many of the cars shifted differently in the impact - some skimmed the barrier, some changing direction and spinning around.

As for Malibu, I wonder if we'll see the rating improve with the refresh in 2014. One of the things Honda said they did in the quick-refresh of the Civic for 2013 was make changes to improve performance in the upcoming small overlap test, so GM could do the same.
    "Here's to Mr. Iacocca and his failed experiment, the DeLorean!" - The Office

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Only answer i get is America didn't do justice to Suzuki Kizashi.

It was a nice car and supposed to a big seller ...

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Left Lane News
    December 20, 2012
    by Andrew Ganz

IIHS, a crash testing lab independent of the federal government's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, tested 18 midsize, maintsream sedans in a new "small overlap" crash test designed to emulate real-world incidents. The findings? The Honda Accord and Suzuki Kizashi came out on top, while the hot-selling Toyota Camry and the fuel-sipping Toyota Prius v received the lowest scores possible.

The new small overlap test sends the driver's side of a vehicle into a stationary object in an effort to direct crash forces into the driver's area of the cabin. IIHS admits that the testing often forces "high levels of occupant compartment intrusion," which in turn provides a better evaluation of a vehicle's safety structure than a more traditional crash test. In addition, the small overlap test evaluates how well the supplementary restraints - a driver's airbag and seat and curtain side airbags - remain in position to effectively protect the driver.

In this most recent test, 11 cars IIHS qualifies as "midsize moderately priced cars" earned the highest award, its Top Safety Pick + designation. Among those strong performers, the Kizashi and the Accord sedan came out on top with the highest rating for the new small overlap test: Good. In particular, the Accord aced all of IIHS' other tests, including a roof strength evaluation that measures how well the car would perform in a severe rollover situation.

Also tested and receiving Moderate scores were the Chevrolet Malibu, Hyundai Sonata and Volkswagen Jetta.

Full article at link.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) megeebee's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Best-selling Toyota Camry performs poorly in latest crash test

I saw the videos and the Camry did seem to disintegrate more fully than some of the others. That said, the Malibu didn't seem to hold together too much better either.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Well that might explain why the Camry, Corolla, Yaris etc all feel very flimsy and cheap when you open and close the door or wrap on the exterior sheet metal which is paper thin.

Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

Someone said their mother bought this becouse the malibu sucked, I was wondering why they did not just go with the Fusion.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by uvikrama View Post
    Only answer i get is America didn't do justice to Suzuki Kizashi.

It was a nice car and supposed to a big seller ...
    It was too small, and the Suzuki brand far too tarnished when you add bad marketing to that than Suzuki's death knell was all but set in stone at that point.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Honda has been getting a lot of criticism on engineering, but they deserve credit for being ready for this new test. Both the Accord and 2013 Civic re-do were specifically engineering to have reinforcements and structure to divert force in this new test.

I'm surprised that the new Malibu design didn't have the same foresight as the test has been in the discussion phase for more than a few years.

With Toyota you know the vehicle is only designed to the lowest common denominator to get a high grade. Any changes to testing will cause them to fall in ratings until they can design to the test in the next generation. It's not just the new test, look at the Prius plug-in that had ratings drop as the increased vehicle weight was not offset with beefed up structure and the result was lesser test results than non-PIP models.
    Last edited by Bigbee60; 12-20-2012 at 12:10 PM.
    Current Driveway Fleet:
    2014 Cruze Diesel
    2013 Sonic LTZ HB
    2008 Colorado CrewCab Z71 2WD
    2011 Cruze LT2 RS (college duty in Florida)
    2003 Porsche Boxster S (sunny days and track events)
    April 2012 to May 2014 - Chevy Volt - 3 tanks of gas in 12.2K miles. Traded for Cruze Diesel for new commute

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks

Uh oh. Toyota ought to work on that quickly. Hopefully the Avalon was designed with this in mind.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 AVALANCHE

these NEW tests do a good job of "CALLING OUT" companies that engineer to the test VERSUS engineering a safe car in ALL situations
    I remember the Dodge Caravan/Grand Voyager getting top pick in NHTSA and a bad score in Eu NCAP testing

emh
    Thanks

New crash tests always show who's doing the bare minimum to ace the tests and who's doing a good job in engineering overall safety with real-life situation in mind even if they aren't measured by sxisting tests.
    "The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" -- John Lawton

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

I understand people not wanting to buy a domestic....but i do not understand for those who do buy imports..why the accord doesnt outsell the camry by a lot. The honda just seems better than the camry in so many ways.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information