A Battery of Apps: OnStar Debuts Future EV Solutions

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A Battery of Apps: OnStar Debuts Future EV Solutions

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

GM
    November 15, 2012

At the GM Electrification Experience, OnStar is showing two new apps to address the possible range anxiety of electric vehicles and the cost of public charging.

Since the Chevrolet Volt extended range electric vehicle launched in late 2010, drivers have been able to manage vehicle charging, including the option to charge during off-peak hours through the OnStar RemoteLink Mobile App. As GM expands its electric vehicle line-up next year with the 2014 Chevy Spark EV, more drivers will be able to manage and control electric-only functions from their phone.

Spark EV Waypoint tab

Because the Spark EV operates only on electricity, drivers will need to know if they can reach their destination on a single charge. The Spark EV Waypoint tab, which will be integrated into the RemoteLink app, can quickly determine that answer and plot a waypoint route with recommended charging stations if the route is beyond a single charge’s range.

“The Spark EV Waypoint tab aims to instill confidence in drivers who are not sure if they’ll be able to reach their destination on a single charge,” said Paul Pebbles, global manager, OnStar Electric Vehicle and Smart Grid Services. “It’s also for drivers who know they’ll be traveling beyond a single charge range.”

Once the destination is selected, based on the distance and battery life, the app will use the distance and remaining battery life to tell the driver one of four things:

• Destination is within the range of a single charge
    • Destination is within a single charge range, but the vehicle needs to be charged more before the driver begins traveling
    • Destination is further than a single charge range and requires a waypoint route
    • No waypoint route is available and destination is beyond vehicle range. Due to a lack of charging stations a waypoint route may not always be possible.

The app tells a driver how long a drive will be and how long it will take to charge the Spark at each stop, combining the two for total trip duration. In addition to mobile, the waypoint routing function will be available on GM Owner Center allowing directions to be sent online to a vehicle. Destinations will be stored in OnStar’s Virtual Advisor service.

OnStar plans to make the Waypoint App available for the launch of the 2014 Spark EV.

Park-Tap-Charge Prototype App

With more electric vehicles on the market, the demand for public charging will grow as will the need to know how much charging away from home will cost. Where cost is tied to public charging, a new prototype app will allow EV owners to simply tap their smartphone against a charging station, which will automatically show payment options that, once accepted, will initiate the flow of electricity. This prototype app is currently named Park-Tap-Charge.

“It’s all about transacting through the app to create a very connected vehicle experience,” said Pebbles. “This type of functionality contributes to an end-to-end solution for owners of the infrastructure and drivers.”

Prior to accepting payment, the app will show the hourly rate of charging, the estimated time for a full charge and the estimated cost of a full charge.

The app leverages Near Field Communication technology, a way of contactless payment being implemented in smartphones today. Using a signal sent from an NFC-enabled phone to a charge station with an embedded NFC tag, drivers can automatically initiate payment from a previously connected account by tapping their smartphone to the station.

The current version of the application is a concept and provides the base for driving a scalable and viable solution as more EVs hit the road.

OnStar’s Smart Grid research is made possible by the U.S. Department of Energy.

Video and PDF documents available at link.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Chevrolet Volt Blue Topaz

Re: A Battery of Apps: OnStar Debuts Future EV Solutions

I love the idea.
    My Blackberry 9900 has NFC so I hopefully won't need to bring my chargepoint card around with me.

My only concern is Onstar has been all promise and no deliver. The current remotelink app is not the greatest and often doesn't even function. So far it has been the "weakest link" of my great Volt experience.
    Last edited by MechEng; 11-15-2012 at 11:30 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 AVALANCHE

ONE feature I would like to see would be to choose how "full" to charge the car using the ap EX @ metered public charge stations

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

This is a great idea to merge Onstar into future technologies. I hope GM pushes this through in the near future instead of waiting 5 years to finally get it done.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information