GM Inside News Forum banner

Aston Martin Rapide S revealed with 550bhp

3K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  VS Ute 5Litre 
#1 ·
Aston Martin Rapide S revealed with 550bhp
Four-door Aston Martin Rapide is given a significant mid-life makeover that includes an 80bhp power boost

by Mark Tisshaw
22 January 2013

The Aston Martin Rapide has received a considerable power hike as part of a comprehensive mid-life refresh for the four-door saloon.

The extra power is reflected in the Rapide’s new name - it’s now known as the Rapide S - and means that the emphasis is now fully on making it a four-door sports car rather than a more luxurious, everyday GT.

The biggest changes for the Rapide S are to its naturally aspirated 5.9-litre V12 engine. Power is up by 80bhp to 550bhp and peak torque jumps by 20lb ft to 620lb ft. Low and mid-range torque is said to have been improved considerably more than the headline peak figure suggests.

CONTINUE AT AUTOCAR-UK

See less See more
#2 ·
Really like the updated look. The taller grille makes it look meaner and sportier to me.

However, I wonder how much of the change is a hint at an evolving design direction and how much is due to updated European pedestrian crash standards?

I also wonder if there is any kind of motivation to distinguish Aston Martin further from Ford's new "Aston-esque" design theme? Granted, no one would confuse an AM for a Ford, but still some obvious similarities here that no doubt they'd want to downplay to their hyper-rich customers.

Lastly, if this is a true shift in design language, I also wonder if this is in anticipation of re-introducing the Lagonda brand? The recent design concept from a few years ago was a bit of a flop. If they do want to make better use of their resources by bringing Lagonda back to the market, they'll need a distinct look in order to make the brand stand on it's own and attract would-be patrons.

#5 ·
I think it's alright for a(n I think old-ish) non-aspirated 12. Think like this... if the brandy new excellent LT1 V8 makes 450, add four more cylinders. 100hp from a non-aspirated 4 with the non-insignificantly power-dense LT1, and it's pretty good, I think. It also has a lower displacement, blah blah blah...

#8 ·
Personally considering the relatively lax spec, and plebeian origin of the Aston V12 in consideration of its past outputs 550 hp is nigh on extraordinary.

#11 ·
With the assertions that anyone who purchased the moribund money sucking brands from Ford's PAG has manure for brains I am surprised that Jaguar, Land Rover, Aston Martin, and Volvo are still in business today.

#15 ·
That front bumper could really use some character, even just fogs or something. The grill I don't mind, but whoever complained about the Fusion surely will be shocked to see another 25% larger "Bass mouth."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.