Amid Comparisons To Buick, Lexus Concedes Luxury Sales Title

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Amid Comparisons To Buick, Lexus Concedes Luxury Sales Title

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Left Lane News
    July 11, 2011
    by Nat Shirley

With significant lost sales in the wake of the devastating Japanese earthquake and tsunami , it is all but certain that Lexus’s 11-year reign as the top selling luxury brand in the U.S. will come to an end. Whether the brand will rebound to the top of the sales charts in 2012 and beyond is far less definite, leading one analyst to suggest that the brand is on its way to being the Buick of yore.

Lexus U.S. sales are projected to fall to by about 17 percent to 190,000 in 2011, said Lexus Division general manager Mike Templin. A difficult first half saw Lexus selling 88,010 vehicles as arch rivals BMW and Mercedes-Benz moved 113,705 and 110,926 units, respectively. That gap will likely prove too great for Lexus to overcome during the second half of 2011.

However, the difficulties at Lexus may extend beyond supply shortages caused by the devastation in Japan. Industry analyst Aaron Bragman of IHS Automotive suggested that Lexus could face “quite a challenge” to reclaim its sales crown due to an increasing perception that the brand builds vehicles best suited to septuagenarians.

Demand for Buicks is up 34 percent this year to 93,599 units. Buoyed by a pair of new premium sedans, the General Motors unit is quickly shedding its image as a stagnant brand for ever-aging buyers. By contrast, Lexus sales are down 24 percent through the first six months of 2011.

Full article at link.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'00 Ford Ranger

Re: Amid Comparisons To Buick, Lexus Concedes Luxury Sales Title

Oh how the tables have turned...

Proud to drive American. Proud to drive GM.
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    4.2L Vortec 4200 I-6
    Airaid CAI, Gibson Catback Performance Exhaust

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Comparing Lexus to Buick is kind of dissing Buick if you ask me.

Lexus probably won't get the lead back next year either...M-B and BMW have been closing in for sometime. In the future, Audi, Cadillac, Infinity and Buick could all leave Lexus stuck in 2nd gear.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Premium Member WishIhadatruck's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Cruze/2014/Silver

When I first saw the title I thought they were comparing Lexus to the new Buicks, guess not. They are comparing them to the Buick of the past, cars for old folks. NOT good for Lexus.

1996 Buick Roadmaster Wagon
    2003 8.1L 2500 4x4 Suburban
    2014 Chevrolet Cruze Eco Manual

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cadillac CTS Performance

The circle of life........... Maybe BMW will be saying the same thing soon (Hurry up Cadillac).

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) megeebee's Avatar
    Thanks

"Luxury"

I dunno. I don't get the comparison of Buick to Lexus. Personally, I think Lexus is a higher end brand to Buick.
    Not to say the latest crop of Buicks isn't good, I just think a direct comparison is something of a stretch.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Terrain Denali, White

Quote Originally Posted by WishIhadatruck View Post
    When I first saw the title I thought they were comparing Lexus to the new Buicks, guess not. They are comparing them to the Buick of the past, cars for old folks. NOT good for Lexus.
    NOT good for Lexus but the analogy to past Buicks is dead on. The best term for Lexus in today's Lux market is "stodgy"....or maybe "stale". Friends of mine who can afford ANY car they want just turned in the wife's 2009 RX for a totally loaded Enclave. She is over the Lexus thing and cannot say enough about the Enclave.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Or Buick for a more older past before it got the image of "old's man car". Ironically Hemmings blog spotted a vintage Buick ad when Buick tried to attract younger folks http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...r-trope-at-gm/

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by megeebee View Post
    "Luxury"

I dunno. I don't get the comparison of Buick to Lexus. Personally, I think Lexus is a higher end brand to Buick.
    Not to say the latest crop of Buicks isn't good, I just think a direct comparison is something of a stretch.

Of course it's higher end than Buick. The flagship Buick sedan is priced the same as the entry level Lexus - and I don't mean the ES. Throw in the $22k Verano next year and I won't be surprised if sales would double even Mercedes.

BMW has an all new lineup (probably more Lexusy than any BMW lineup before it) and some very attractive lease offers, not hard to see why they're #1.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

I think Buick's price point is still well below Lexus's. Plus, with the introduction of the Verano, that price gap will only increase.

Lexus's cheapest model, the CT, is $30,000. The ES starts at about $37,000, or about ten grand more than the LaCrosse, which makes sales comparisons tricky, despite what Buick will like us to think whenever it promotes how the LaCrosse outsold the ES.

That's not to mention that the GS, LS, LF-A, LX, and GX are all well outside the range of Buick's pricing.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Charger AWD & 2003 Dakota

"Luxury"

+1

Buick is headed in a good direction but they still have some ground to cover.
    Personally, I think a nice sporty drop top would help Buick's image. The Velite was nice.
    * Pictured above left is a 1959 Dodge Silver Challenger. 1954 Oldsmobile Rocket F-88.

YEH
    4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

"Luxury"

Lexus kinda has a dual lineup.

Less expensive (for their size) FWD models like the ES and RX and the traditional RWD luxury models (IS, GS and LS).

Toyota's problem going forward is that Lexus is being attacked from both sides of the market.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Quickening's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Range Rover Evoque

Buick is playing the luxury value game, they are claiming to offer the same level of rifinement, quality, luxury as Lexus but at a much lower price point. Thats how you have to rebuild a brand that had the horrible perception Buick had/has.

They are playing the Hyundai game and its working, they are getting the sales to put Buick back on the map.

2012 Range Rover Evoque, 2013 Cadillac ATS
    Past: 2009 Cadillac CTS, 2004 Saab 9-3 Aero, 1985 Mercedes-Benz 300D

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Terrain Denali, White

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket 88 View Post
    +1

Buick is headed in a good direction but they still have some ground to cover.
    Personally, I think a nice sporty drop top would help Buick's image. The Velite was nice.
    Nope. All they need is a stunner Riveria and a GNX eqivalent Regal. It would seal the lux deal for Buick.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goatgary View Post
    Nope. All they need is a stunner Riveria and a GNX eqivalent Regal. It would seal the lux deal for Buick.
    I'm incline to agree, the Riviera is needed badly, as is the GNX, how about a Riviera GNX.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information