GM Inside News Forum banner

Alfa Romeo plans nine models by 2016

4K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  tentacles 
#1 ·
Alfa Romeo Roadmap Reveals Nine Models by 2016
Jason Siu | Dec 26, 4:56 PM

A leaked roadmap has revealed that Alfa Romeo is planning on launching nine new models by 2016, with the Italian automaker setting its sight on the premium market.

The extended product roadmap for Alfa Romeo reveals that the automaker plans to launch a new B-segment vehicle, with a C-segment model following that will replace the Giulietta. The Giulia will then launch for the D-segment market with a crossover/SUV variant and a Sportwagon variant.

CONTINUE AT AUTOGUIDE.COM

RELATED PIECE AT AUTOGUIDE.COM: Alfa Romeo Planning Four Car US Launch in 2014

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm glad Maserati is making a push to get back in the game.

Maserat's approach to growth is worth noting compared to Lincoln's approach of hoping for it. Nine models by 2016 with three specialty vehicles is pretty impressive.

The luxury market is moving faster than ever these days. You're either in or you're out and Maserati seems to be in for longer term success. I look forward to hopefully considering some of their products one day.

#3 ·
I think i can predict whats going on.

Revised MiTo on current US Spec 500 Platform

Revised Giulietta on Current Dart Platform

D Segment Guilia Sedan
D Segment Guilia Sportwagon
D segment Crossover

E Segment 169 Sedan

4C sports car
Spider based on the Miata
6C Guilia Coupe

#4 ·
And this time Alfa will resurrect thanks to the backup given by the am partner, I'm sure.

BTW, the Fiat 'Viaggio' is going well in China. Thanks to Dodge.

And a new IVECO plant in China has just started rolling out its heavy trucks both for home market and export. I'll put on a new thread later on.

#5 ·
I have no idea what Sergio like in his coffee, and yes some say he is overhyped but if he can pull this off his name will go down in the history books.

#6 ·
They desperately need new and more metal in their lineup.

The 159 and Brera were impossibly pretty cars, but they were too heavy and Epsilon-platform compromised. I hope the Giulia makes for a proper replacement.

The MiTo is aging now, and the Giulietta isn't getting any younger, either. And those are the only cars left in the line right now, sadly. I'm more excited for the MX-5 based roadster than the mini-Ferrari 4C that's coming. I just hope each of these cars is truly "special" and Alfa enough. Chromed intake ports and all.

#11 ·
Alfa is great at that: making PLANS!

I'd like to see them debut at least ONE model. For the last years, it was a downward spiral - first the loss of the historic Milan plant, then Pomigliano d'Arco and finally Alfa is down to two pokemon-faced models that are arguably nothing special and have only succeeded to push out Fiat's own offerings in the two mainstream classes by the virtue of being newer.

With the loss of the 159 (which might have been too heavy etc. but in all truthiness, and that's by sb who's ACTUALLY DRIVEN those cars, was a GREAT CAR, on par with the BMW 3er and the rest), Alfa has arguably lost all pretence to being a truly premium brand. And this will be EXTREMELY HARD to regain - just look at Lancia's feeble efforts and lack of market response.

Speaking of Lancia - with so many models in the pipeline, wouldn't it make more sense to keep Alfa a more focused, sporty brand, and spread the models accross the Lancia portfolio, along with Chrysler, Maserati, Jeep and even (gulp!) Dodge.

What the Fiat organization and Sergio in particular seem not to understand is that if you want a model to get the market on fire, it simply has to be GREAT. It's not enough for a model to be "good enough". This might be a way to get by when all you can do is freshen up the Sebring and keep fingers crossed. But when I see them thinking that they can repeat the success of the 500 (which is a really good, high-quality for the price, absolutely gorgeous car spot-on building on rich heritage of its much-loved predecessors) with the 500L (which is a bloated Pokemon mascarading as 500's larger brother with absolutely nothing else to its credit, apart from severely compromised visibility), I am worried.

Rather than launching a host of vehicles that are just "good enough", and just because they have a platform development pipeline anyway and a brand to use which could PERHAPS command higher places, they might have focused on one or two models that would redefine Alfa and put it back on the map. For now, Alfa is defined by a five-door compact hatchback - not a very special car IMHO, and one that could have been pulled off by just about any other Fiatsler brand.

Looking at the execution of Maserati Quattroporte, I am not very hopeful. Excuse me while I get back to mourning Lancia and giving a gentle pat on the back to every Musa I see.

#12 · (Edited)
Alfa is great at that: making PLANS!

I'd like to see them debut at least ONE model. For the last years, it was a downward spiral - first the loss of the historic Milan plant, then Pomigliano d'Arco and finally Alfa is down to two pokemon-faced models that are arguably nothing special and have only succeeded to push out Fiat's own offerings in the two mainstream classes by the virtue of being newer.

With the loss of the 159 (which might have been too heavy etc. but in all truthiness, and that's by sb who's ACTUALLY DRIVEN those cars, was a GREAT CAR, on par with the BMW 3er and the rest), Alfa has arguably lost all pretence to being a truly premium brand. And this will be EXTREMELY HARD to regain - just look at Lancia's feeble efforts and lack of market response.

Speaking of Lancia - with so many models in the pipeline, wouldn't it make more sense to keep Alfa a more focused, sporty brand, and spread the models accross the Lancia portfolio, along with Chrysler, Maserati, Jeep and even (gulp!) Dodge.

What the Fiat organization and Sergio in particular seem not to understand is that if you want a model to get the market on fire, it simply has to be GREAT. It's not enough for a model to be "good enough". This might be a way to get by when all you can do is freshen up the Sebring and keep fingers crossed. But when I see them thinking that they can repeat the success of the 500 (which is a really good, high-quality for the price, absolutely gorgeous car spot-on building on rich heritage of its much-loved predecessors) with the 500L (which is a bloated Pokemon mascarading as 500's larger brother with absolutely nothing else to its credit, apart from severely compromised visibility), I am worried.

Rather than launching a host of vehicles that are just "good enough", and just because they have a platform development pipeline anyway and a brand to use which could PERHAPS command higher places, they might have focused on one or two models that would redefine Alfa and put it back on the map. For now, Alfa is defined by a five-door compact hatchback - not a very special car IMHO, and one that could have been pulled off by just about any other Fiatsler brand.

Looking at the execution of Maserati Quattroporte, I am not very hopeful. Excuse me while I get back to mourning Lancia and giving a gentle pat on the back to every Musa I see.

I guess you havent been paying attention.

Lancia will be what Buick is today. Rebadges of overseas cars basically, they will have one Original model in they line up (The Y), while the rest will be rebadges of Chryslers headed by Chrysler designers now (instead of the other way around).

Alfa will be the Sporty Premium brand on both sides of the pond. The US might not get the NEW Giulietta and Mito but we will get the Sedans and Sports cars,. The Current Giuletta might be a 5 door hatch but one hell of a Sporty offering. Chrysler/Fiat working on Becoming what VW is today. alot of platform sharing but the only difference is that Chrysler has better platforms for RWD configurations.. the Giulia is said to be on Chryslers "LA platform" which is RWD. That with the 4C and Spider Sports cars is enough to justify Alfa as a True premium Sporty brand.

Maseratis new QP might seem overwhelming to some but its a hell of a performer, makes Driving Executive Fullsize Sedans fun to drive (honestly A8/S-class and 7 Series are cool but boring to drive). The Previous QP though looked great, it was poorly designed. the car wasnt up to the standards for competing with the 7series/Sclass like it was supposed to it was something the size of a E Class benz but cost $120,000+. plus it had alot of problems. the only problems i have with the new one is only that they didnt reveal the car with that red leather from the previous gen.

Also to your comment for the 500L, this is what the 500L was along with the 500, The "600" Mutipla. so you can also say the same thing as you did with the 500.

#13 ·
I guess you havent been paying attention.
I have, this is why I bemoan this strategy. It's already been implemented here - it didn't take long to slap Lancia badges on Chryslers and remove Chrysler logos from dealerships (vice-versa in UK in Ireland, where there were no Lancia dealerships, so it was even easier). And it simply doesn't work, the sales aren't quite up from the previous combined Lancia and Chrysler results, in many markets the combined sales volume is even down.

The Current Giuletta might be a 5 door hatch but one hell of a Sporty offering.
Have you actually DRIVEN one? It's a very competent compact, but the gap between the 159 and the Giulietta is PROFOUND. And it doesn't even look that sporty or special to European eyes, it's about as anodyne a compact as the A3 is. But Audi commands a much stronger pricing and brand power and can offer crap on the outer borders of their lineup and still laugh all the way to the bank. For Alfa, Giulietta is the brand-defining car. And it's a very weak one, see Alfa losing market share MASSIVELY in pretty much ALL markets. This is with Alfas being the cheapest on average in decades.

Also to your comment for the 500L, this is what the 500L was along with the 500, The "600" Mutipla. so you can also say the same thing as you did with the 500.
No it is not. It's not even on the same platform - the 500 is on Fiat's city car platform, shared with the new and old Panda and the current Lancia Ypsilon. The 500L is on the SCCS, shared with the Grande Punto, Alfa MiTo, and the current generations Opel Corsa and Meriva. That is why the 500L is built separately from 500 or any of their platform-mates.

The 500 was immensely innovative and practical, very small, cheap and economical relative to other available cars, offering unprecedented utility, capacity and interior room. There was nothing like it in its own market. That's why it was iconic.

The Fiat 500L does not offer anything new or inventive in a market full of similar-sized offerings. Meriva offers suicide doors, and the Ford B-Max by far outshines those with the lack of the central pillar and sliding doors. The Skoda Roomster offers humongous interior room. The Citroen C3 Picasso is not very special in terms of construction, but at least a decisive looker.

The 500L would only look attractive to somebody who would really try immensely hard to find it so. It's at the bottom of the crowded yet relatively small segment in pretty much every category. That's perhaps why Fiat hopes to sell so much of production in North America, where competition is almost non-existent, and the extant competitors (e.g. the Soul) much less competent.

#14 ·
I would suggest that your opinion on the Quattraporte is perhaps in the minority, and to most ( myself included) it has been reimagined as well as repurposed brilliantly. The current QP is flawed in many ways, and easily shaded by vehicles like the XJ as well as the Panamera. The New QP brings the most appealing, dynamic, and exotic title back to the QP lineup after it was easily shaded by vehicles like the XJ.

#16 ·
A lot of you are very optimistic about how well Jag is doing. For the most part their new models have not been successful and I personally hate their looks (except for the new roadster). JLR's success up to this point has almost entirely been dependent on the success of Land Rover, especially in developing markets. The proposed new JLR joint venture plant in CHina is going to be building Land Rovers, not jags.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.