GM Inside News Forum banner

Alan Mulally Interview

3K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  bmwboy2007 
#1 ·
So.... Alan Mulally was on the Paul W. Smith Show, this morning (WJR Detroit).

Alan listed their important growth and mainstay vehicles. In the list of "Escape, Expedition.... was RANGER!

#2 ·
Sorry I missed it. I usually listen to Plante 9-12.

#8 ·
I wonder how Ranger will sell upon its return to the US market?

Will it be just another entry into the segment along side plenty of competition (Tacoma, Frontier, Colorado/Canyon, etc)?

Or will we see a sizable sales POP similar to to reintroduction of Camaro, where "pent up demand" drove sales higher than the segment leader for several years?

#10 ·
Assuming it's a worthy product it'll sell very well because truck buyers are largely brand loyal. The reintroduction of the Canyon and Colorado benefited not only from brand loyalty, but from being the only American brands available, along with the fact that the segment had been stagnant for years, thus the GM products were the unquestioned best in class. The Ranger (I'd prefer it be named F100) won't benefit from the second two, and I have to believe that Toyota and Nissan are going to be pressured into raising their game in response to the three American trucks so competition should once again be fierce.

Personally I'm still surprised that no brand has attempted to build a modern small pickup sized more like the original S-10/Ranger than today's midsizers. Maybe they see vans like the Transit Connect and NV200 as serving that market, but I still see a ton of guys holding onto their small pickups and using them for business. I don't even think a small truck would have to be body on frame, just sized and priced right and it could be a big hit.

#12 · (Edited)
^

lazy good-fer-nuthin domestic (ugh) Media
...won't even go test sumthin we'll never get (as is)

SP said:
...The Ranger (I'd prefer it be named F100) won't benefit from the second two, and I have to believe that Toyota and Nissan are going to be pressured into raising their game in response to the three American trucks so competition should once again be fierce.

Personally I'm still surprised that no brand has attempted to build a modern small pickup sized more like the original S-10/Ranger than today's midsizers. Maybe they see vans like the Transit Connect and NV200 as serving that market, but I still see a ton of guys holding onto their small pickups and using them for business. I don't even think a small truck would have to be body on frame, just sized and priced right and it could be a big hit.

I'd like the Ranger to ALSO use F-100 for a trim...along with others; AND multiple front stylings (like I've ranted for the Exped)
&
seeing how "careful" (ie SLOW) Fomoco is about bringing back the Ranger,
I expect a 'Courier-class' trucklet ("F-15"?
) to NOT appear until the Ranger is firmly ensconced in the market - Tho definitely believe it's inevitable

edit
LnB said:
I believe the Ranger will take the place of the Focus when Focus moves to Mexico.
we know the Ranger (& 2 other vehicles) is definitely going in MAP
but
applying that to sales, imho
that is a very Very interesting idea/perspective

#13 ·
^ lazy good-fer-nuthin domestic (ugh) Media
...won't even go test sumthin we'll never get (as is)

I'd like the Ranger to ALSO use F-100 for a trim...along with others; AND multiple front stylings (like I've ranted for the Exped)
&
seeing how "careful" (ie SLOW) Fomoco is about bringing back the Ranger,
I expect a 'Courier-class' trucklet ("F-15"?
) to NOT appear until the Ranger is firmly ensconced in the market - Tho definitely believe it's inevitable
I wonder if they'll make a Lightning and a Raptor Version.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.