GM Inside News Forum banner

2018 Ram Pickup Truck Platform to Bring Forth SUV, Dakota to Return

5K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  lohchief 
#1 ·
2018 Ram Pickup Truck Platform to Bring Forth SUV, Dakota to Return
19 Jul 2016
by Mircea Panait
AutoEvolution.com

Yesterday we were reporting that the GMC brand is rumored to have a body-on-frame sport utility vehicle in the pipeline. Today, however, Ram appears to cook something similar. Just to be clear, this is not a joke and no, today definitely isn’t April Fools’.

Ram RebelUSA Today and Mike Manley, the head of Jeep and Ram, sat down for a chat and the bottom line is that Ram is looking into making a full-size SUV. “You have the opportunity with a new frame for the next-generation Ram. You have the opportunity to take a large SUV off of it because we already have a very, very capable frame today that is going to be upgraded,” said Manley.

I know what you’re thinking. “Whaaaaaat?” Don’t be surprised by this, tough, because everybody has the hots for crossovers and SUVs. It’s the ’in’ crowd of the automotive industry. According to the 5-year plan of Ram Trucks, the major update for the light-duty pickup truck lineup is slated for 2017. As for the start of sales, January 2018 is the period to look forward to.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE

See less See more
#2 ·
It logically makes a lot of sense to offer larger SUVs off the truck platforms, and honestly, I'm surprised they haven't planned on doing so already.

Furthermore, I'm also wondering why they haven't tried to "scale down" their truck platform for Dakota duty. I think I remember reading that Nissa's pickup platform is so flexible, it not only is the basis for the Titan, but also their large vans and the Frontier. If such flexibility is baked in from the get-go, I'd imagine that any number of RAM-badged (and maybe even Jeep-badged?) products could show up on dealer lots in the medium-term future. I'm still not completely clear on what RAM really is (a mix up commercial offerings and pickups), but a Tahoe/Yukon, Suburban/Yukon XL, and Colorado/Canyon sized series of products would be a boon to dealers and FCA's bottom line.

Reactions: CJH
#4 ·
It logically makes a lot of sense to offer larger SUVs off the truck platforms, and honestly, I'm surprised they haven't planned on doing so already.
Durango used to be BOF, so its not like they haven't done this before (although I think that was based off the Dakota platform, which grew pretty big by the end). Its such a profitable segment that it makes sense for them to get back into it.

I'm still not completely clear on what RAM really is (a mix up commercial offerings and pickups), but a Tahoe/Yukon, Suburban/Yukon XL, and Colorado/Canyon sized series of products would be a boon to dealers and FCA's bottom line.
The question is, will it be a RAM or a Jeep?

RAM = PU + Commercial
Jeep = SUV's

There are still holdovers from previous product plans obviously, but maybe they are going back on this idea and adding SUV's to RAM as well?

#11 ·
Interesting to know. The good news at least is that they are working on a next gen Ram for release soon. I haven't heard anything at all for awhile, didn't know when the timeline was going to be, but they've always been good at keeping a lid on things until the final reveal. I prefer to see everything out in the open one day instead of a year of camo shots and speculation "oooohh, oooohhh, there's a bump under that section of vinyl, it must be XXXX".

Reactions: WaterBoy1
#15 ·
Getting off topic- the whole Dodge/Ram division separation is moronic and confusing. I can't see how it will increase sales or give anything positive to the company.

I can't wait to see the new Ram, but surprised that we haven't seen any spy shots yet. As for a full size SUV- I'm all for it. It's a huge market that could be extremely profitable. I really don't understand why Dodge or Ram or whatever has kept themselves out of the market.

I am also very excited to see a new small truck. I hope they decide to go small (similar to the old S-10) vs the last gen Dakota.

#16 ·
its not about Sales, its about marketing. How can dodge be a Performance brand yet have a vehicles like ProMaster, Trademan 1500 pick up and,ProMaster City in its line up?. Ram is the Workforce, Commercial Vehicle brand. Along with better marketing, comes with more focus on that market. when Ram was with Dodge you had R&D members that controll Avengers and Status's Developement also working on Ram pick ups. Ram and Dodge now gets its own R&D Team along with C.E.O.

#17 ·
Long overdue. I think they thought the Durango would fit the bill as fitting sorta in between GM K2s and big CUVs.

Notice another headline here says that the 54.5mpg 'TARGET' is off the table.

That's because RAM could start making only 140" wheelbase and longer Rams and SUVs and have a much lower "target" for MPGs. The changes made back in 2007-8 were really a sea change.

Every maker now effectively has its own "CAFE" in the sense that they could theoretically make only stretch limos and crew cab pickups and have a 25mpg target for the whole company.

#19 ·
I think you'll see a surge in sales when the aluminum Expedition comes out and a V8 returns to the line-up.

A full-size family hauler is the perfect application for the aluminum body.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.