GM Inside News Forum banner

2016 Ford Explorer Spied Nearly Camo Free

8K views 31 replies 25 participants last post by  GG_TECH 
#1 ·
2016 Ford Explorer Spied Nearly Camo Free [Photo Gallery]
by Gabriel Nica
20th October 2014

Launched back in 2010, the current Ford Explorer changed not only its looks but also its class migrating from mid-size sport utility vehicle to full-size crossover. For 2015, the company is preparing something new, something our spy photographers caught on camera nearly camo free.

Judging by the looks of things we might be in for more of a facelift than a big change next year. The 2016 MY version was seen earlier roaming with heavy camouflage on but nobody was sure what we were looking at.

Today, the car was spotted up close with almost all the camouflage removed and we can tell that the front and rear ends will get some new design cues. Up front, the fog lights have a completely different look while the grilles and the bumper seem to be following the same lines as the current model. The headlights seem to be sporting a new take but in their case as well it’s more of an evolution rather than something completely new.

CONTINUE AT AUTOEVOLUTION.COM

Image courtesy of AutoEvolution.com

See less See more
#2 ·
Seems like a mild refresh, but as the current look is long in the tooth, it'll certainly be appreciated.

Let's hope that the rear fascia's update is tasteful and that the interior get some attention as well.

#5 ·
Its been exactly 4 years so far, seems like longer, I agree, I think it has to do with the fact that its been so popular, while we haven't seen it a really long time, we've seen it often in that period.

For reference, the Acadia came out in Fall of 2006 with the MCE hitting Winter 2011/2012 - The Enclave came out in the Spring of 2007 with the MCE hitting Winter 2011/2012 - looks like the Explorer is going to be about in the middle of those two. The Traverse was only 4 years, but it needed a MCE the day it rolled off the plant floor.............

#3 ·
Don't really like the look of the new explorer, looks like someone squished it. Although I also did not have great luck with the early explorers, I liked the look better. I am sure I am in the minority though, it's ok, I am used to it.

#6 ·
"The same is expected to happen here and the camouflage used for the entire front end, covering the bonnet and the fenders might be a pointer in this direction. Therefore a drop of 200-300 lbs could happen."
There's no way they will save 200-300 lbs by going to an aluminum front clip. I'd be surprised if the steel hood and fenders even weigh that much. That aside, I actually like the looks of the current Explorer (one of the few Fords that I like).

#12 · (Edited)
Is that a bad thing? The Fusion looks really good for a mainstream car.

Interesting that they are claiming the 2.3T would be put in, as a different source said an updated 2.0T would be. The 2.7T is the interesting one, kind of want to see what that does in a vehicle like this.

#14 ·
I was expecting the front to be more in-line with the new Edge front end.

#18 ·
I really don't like this generation of Explorer, it has never set well with me. I probably wouldn't have so much of a problem with it if it didn't look melted.

#20 ·
Switching to the 3.7L probably would'nt be worth it. It's only marginally more powerful than the 3.5L and would surely get slightly less mileage. Maybe it'd be reworked or something, but that makes me wonder why they wouldn't just rework the 3.5L with things like DI and cylinder-deactivation. The best example is that instead of a revised 3.7L, Ford went to a 3.5L for the 2015 F-150, so I'd be very surprised to see Ford move up to a 3.7L in the Explorer. Similarly, I'm guessing the 2.7TT is unlikely to arrive in an updated Explorer. If Ford wanted to be risky they could replace the 2.0T and 3.5L with the 2.3T. Nice torque that the V-6 wouldn't match with near-2.0T mileage. Let's just say I don't anticipate that happening. The only things aside from style and tech upgrades would be an updated 3.5L as I mentioned earlier (or dare I say it, the 2.3T) and a Titanium trim that replaces the Sport as a premium Explorer. I'd also make the EB V-6 an option on the Limited.

I look forward to the next generation of Explorer to see what Ford does as far as platform and tech. The current car is nice but I'll miss some of the older Explorers like other classic "trucks".

#22 ·
just-imho
there's a 2.7EB planned for the SHO (if they still do a TaurusUS)
& regardless I expect one in the Explorer (& of course the Lincoln Zsport)
((the MKS replacement still gets the 3.5EB...upgraded))
and
*IF* they can get the gen2 2.0EB upto the 280hp it oughta have WITH acceptable MPG it could stay
or if a low(er) boost 2.3EB works better = s'ok (just hope that still goes into a FusionST before it's too late)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.