GM Inside News Forum banner

2016 Fiat Tipo (Aegea) 1.6 110 Multijet II

5K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  Johnny_Buchanan 
#1 ·
2016 Fiat Tipo 1.6 110 Multijet II review
Early first drive of Fiat's forthcoming Tipo reveals dynamics that fall short of the class best, although quality and comfort impress
Autocar.co.uk
by Autocar
13 October 2015

What is it?:
You’re looking at the new Fiat Tipo, or thereabouts, the car with which Fiat is set to make a return to the mass market C-segment – and in a big way.

The car you see here, a functional, compact three-box saloon, forms the basis of a new three-car family that Fiat has created for Europe, the Middle East and Africa.

First to be released is this saloon, badged Aegea in the Turkish market in which it’s built. For the UK and mainland Europe, however, Fiat is reviving the Tipo nameplate (from the late 1980s and early 1990s) and has set up additional five-door hatch and wagon versions to be sold alongside the four-door.

While the Aegea/Tipo saloon is out now, the coming hatch and wagon editions are set to appear at the Geneva show next spring, ahead of an on-sale date in the UK next September.

At a private showing at Fiat’s Design Centre in Turin, we’ve seen all three versions of the new Aegea/Tipo series. While the hatch and wagon remain officially under wraps, the Aegea saloon is now ‘live’ (it was actually unveiled at the Istanbul Motor Show back in May). We’ve also had a spell behind the wheel.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE

Images courtesy of, and credited to, Autocar.co.uk:

See less See more
Reactions: cad1cts
#2 · (Edited)
Decent review and certainly underlines the "functional line" (the Tipo, eventual Punto-replacement) vs. "aspirational line" (500-derived products) strategy that Fiat is aiming for (at least in Europe).

Not sure why this is based on the Renegade. I know that the Renegade is based on the "Small US Wide 4×4" platform that it shares with the 500X (and itself is derived, in part, from a platform that underpins the Punto, MiTo, Liinea, and a number of vehicles stretching back to the GM-Fiat derived platform in the early 2000s).

The point is, why are they using the "Small US Wide 4×4" platform for a C-segment vehicle, when they already have the Compact US Wide platform available (and already underpins the existing C-segment Dart)? Doesn't it seem like they're replicated the wheel by basing it on another platform?

This isn't to be taken as a criticism of the vehicle itself. After all, it looks solid and seems capable. What's more, it might give us a hint as to what direction FCA wants to go to field the Chrysler 100 in North America. I'm just curious as to why they would go this route when another, already set of mechanicals is already in production.

#6 ·
The point is, why are they using the "Small US Wide 4×4" platform for a C-segment vehicle, when they already have the Compact US Wide platform available (and already underpins the existing C-segment Dart)? Doesn't it seem like they're replicated the wheel by basing it on another platform?
If you hadn't told me this wasn't a modified Dart I wouldn't have known, I agree, DOES seem strange, unless this is much smaller than it looks. it's attractive enough, but certainly doesn't break any new ground.

#15 ·
I like the way it looks. Still want to pry off those extraneous red reflectors that start in the trunk lid that seem to infect the styling of so many tail lights today. At least they're not faux Edsel/95 Cavalier/Ford Contour style boomerangs.

Nadepalma: Yes, this is the car on which the Chrysler 100 will be based according to Allpar reporting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.