2015 Infiniti G37 to be Renamed Q40 - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Infiniti G37 to be Renamed Q40

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar LetsRace's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Grand Prix GT

Re: 2015 Infiniti G37 to be Renamed Q40

Cadillac would be crucified if it brings something like this to the market. Imagine the last gen CTS renamed as the BTS or something like that. I can just hear the media..
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit."
    - Aristotle

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LetsRace For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (01-26-2014)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

It looks like naming the new G37 replacement Q50 was so Infinity could offer a bunch of FWD crap below it in the future! I predict the Replacement for the renamed Q40 will be FWD as will every Infinity positioned below it! So they CASTRATE the Infinity Brand with a half FWD lineup while not giving Nissan a MUCH NEEDED RWD Maxima??---Figures!!

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LetsRace View Post
    Cadillac would be crucified if it brings something like this to the market. Imagine the last gen CTS renamed as the BTS or something like that. I can just hear the media..
    GREAT point!!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carguy For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (01-26-2014),LetsRace (01-26-2014)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevy Malibu 2011 silver 2.4L

The Q-based naming scheme is to get away from the displacement-based naming scheme. The Q40 will still have the 3.7L V6. Hell, the Q50 still has the 3.7L V6. The QX80 (formerly the QX56) still has a 5.6L V8, not an 8.0L engine.[/QUOTE]

Nice to know but: "I still don't particularly care for it"

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by JBsZ06 View Post
    I look forward to the new Infiniti realtor competitor to the Lexus RX. And ES.

The. Infiniti Q - T. (ee) CUTIE.

The woman Realtors will love it.

Infiniti needs a four door GTR to lead the brand.
    Similar issue GM having their ultimate performance machine (Corvette) as a Chevy. Ideally Cadillac should have the ultimate performance vehicle for GM, with the Camaro being Chevy's halo vehicle. To me it doesn't make much sense to have a high end sports car under both Chevy and Cadillac. Same idea with the GTR/Infiniti.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member NoStopN's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '02 Sierra HT (Stepside)

Quote Originally Posted by GM-Joe View Post
    Confusing. I thought the Q50 was replacing the G37. Then there was the M and then the QX70 which all come from the same platform. This brand is worse than Lincoln.
    Infiniti kept building the older G37 sedans when the Q50 models came out. The Q40 is the same car, but with the new name to "fit in" with the rest of the "Q" names.

Quote Originally Posted by Carguy View Post
    It looks like naming the new G37 replacement Q50 was so Infinity could offer a bunch of FWD crap below it in the future! I predict the Replacement for the renamed Q40 will be FWD as will every Infinity positioned below it! So they CASTRATE the Infinity Brand with a half FWD lineup while not giving Nissan a MUCH NEEDED RWD Maxima??---Figures!!
    Infiniti was founded on rebadging FWD Nissans. The first G20 & I30 sold well considering that they were more expensive Sentras & Maximas. Now with dedicated RWD chassis, I don't see them slinking back to FWD. Oh, & castrated FWD Lexuses sell like hotcakes.

Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NoStopN
    The Q-based naming scheme is to get away from the displacement-based naming scheme. The Q40 will still have the 3.7L V6. Hell, the Q50 still has the 3.7L V6. The QX80 (formerly the QX56) still has a 5.6L V8, not an 8.0L engine.
    Nice to know but: "I still don't particularly care for it"
    Neither do I. The same for all of the other luxury marques.
    Last edited by NoStopN; 01-26-2014 at 06:22 PM.

"Don't think of it as a slap. Think of it as a high 5.....for your stupid face." How I Met Your Mother--January 13, 2014

I love you, Dad. 8/25/57-3/28/11

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar LetsRace's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Grand Prix GT

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Similar issue GM having their ultimate performance machine (Corvette) as a Chevy. Ideally Cadillac should have the ultimate performance vehicle for GM, with the Camaro being Chevy's halo vehicle. To me it doesn't make much sense to have a high end sports car under both Chevy and Cadillac. Same idea with the GTR/Infiniti.
    Well... Corvette is more of a 911 or GTR fighter. A Cadillac supercar should be rear/mid engine with performance more on par with the Hypercars like the 918 Hybrid. It should be a vehicle were GM can experiment those technologies for later use in the other divisions. The elimination of the ZR1 is a great start leaving space for the Cadillac supercar being the big horsepower and speed demon. GM needs more innovation, they were the masters in that department.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit."
    - Aristotle

Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Charger AWD & 2003 Dakota

Just call it the Q50 Classic.... I mean the G37 Classic. Whatever. GM can figure it out for them...
    * Pictured above left is a 1959 Dodge Silver Challenger. 1954 Oldsmobile Rocket F-88.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nadepalma View Post
    If they want to continue to sell the old G37 alongside the new G50, then it I guess it makes sense to change the name. However, it also makes you wonder what will happen when that product has run it's course. The new head of Infiniti is a former Audi man, and he has a sense of building the brand and creating continuity. If they introduce such a product now, will there be an eventual replacement?

We've learned that Mercedes and Infiniti are supposed to be working on a new platform together. We also know that the A-/B-Class platform is supposed to underpin a future Infiniti model (possibly the Q30 we keep hearing so much about). Could the Q30 be the Q40's eventual replacement? Or will one be a "hatch/liftback" while the more traditional sedan will replace the Q40 and be known by that name?

It's also interesting to me that Infiniti even needs to continue to sell the G37/Q40 alongside the current model. Nissan is also doing this with the current Rogue, which will be sold as the Rogue Select alongside the next model. It makes me wonder if perhaps they didn't get the Q50 right in design/price, which justifies selling the old model alongside the current one. If that's the case, perhaps they need to go back and re-examine what they did to "get it right" next time around.

Just my two cents.
    They were probably aware of the price disparity going into it, that's (part of?) the reason they kept the old Rogue, the new one starts a couple grand higher. But I think they cut the price of the G37 when the Q50 came out, the G37 seems to be listed for a lower price than the discontinued G25 was.

Q30 seems like it will be smaller enough that there's room for a new Q40. Q30-Q40 being different bodystyles/versions of a car like you say would seem to make sense. I can see the sizes being like the CLA vs. the B-Class with which it shares its platform. They are doing different names for different bodystyles, as the Q60 is "the Infiniti formerly known as" the old G coupe.

Quote Originally Posted by Carguy View Post
    Maxima and G pricing have been close, so if the Maxima were RWD it might have overlapped.

There would probably be room for it now since the Q50 has moved up and smaller Infinitis seem like they'll be FWD, but Nissan seems to be using the "four-door coupe" approach for the Maxima.

Quote Originally Posted by NoStopN View Post
    Infiniti was founded on rebadging FWD Nissans. The first G20 & I30 sold well considering that they were more expensive Sentras & Maximas. Now with dedicated RWD chassis, I don't see them slinking back to FWD. Oh, & castrated FWD Lexuses sell like hotcakes.
    G20 wasn't a Sentra (though it did share the engine of the Sentra SE-R), it was more like the current TSX/Regal.

They were founded on rebadged overseas Nissans, but the G20 was the only FWD one until the I30 in 1996. M30, Q45, J30 were all RWD. The I30 was also the first with a direct Nissan counterpart here, and even then in other markets the bodystyle was the Maxima, or Cefiro.
    "Here's to Mr. Iacocca and his failed experiment, the DeLorean!" - The Office

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Well, at this point Infiniti's next move to change from alphanumerics to symbols. The "the model formally known as....."
    Attached Images Attached Images

GMI Staff Member Premium Member NoStopN's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '02 Sierra HT (Stepside)

Quote Originally Posted by cdp326 View Post
    G20 wasn't a Sentra (though it did share the engine of the Sentra SE-R), it was more like the current TSX/Regal. They were founded on rebadged overseas Nissans.
    Ok, you got me there. But, the Primera/G20 didn't offer much (if any) additional room than a Sentra. Non-enthusiasts wouldn't care either way. But, I still say that Infiniti probably has no intention of going back to FWD if they have their sights set on BMW.

"Don't think of it as a slap. Think of it as a high 5.....for your stupid face." How I Met Your Mother--January 13, 2014

I love you, Dad. 8/25/57-3/28/11

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

I was in a 2014 Infiniti Q60 today, I thought it a G37. It isn't?

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

I believe that is what used to be the M45.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ausrutherford View Post
    Tell which luxury automaker has actual model names...

Rolls Royce Phantom and Ghost.
    Bentley Mulsanne, Flying Spur and Continental.
    Aston Martin Rapide, Vantage and Vanquish.
    Ferrari California and La Ferrari.
    Maserati Ghibli, Granturismo and Quattroporte.
    Porsche (everything except the 911 and 918).
    Last edited by MalibuMan2010; 01-26-2014 at 10:36 PM.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by free_energy0 View Post
    I believe that is what used to be the M45.
    Nope. Q60 is the G coupe. The M37/56 is still the M37/56. Presumably it will eventually become a Q70, but until today we all thought the G37 was going away too so who knows?

I actually don't think this is a bad idea from a product planning standpoint, because if they are going to sell something cheaper than the Q50, better the old G37 than some FWD hatchback. The Cadillac BTS/CTS thing isn't the right analogy because it's in a different market segment, but imagine if BMW had kept the old E9x 3 series in production alongside the new one and sold it for ~$30k, instead of bring some ****ty FWD minivan or whatever the new 1 series is going to be, I'd respect the BMW brand a hell of a lot more.

From a marketing standpoint it's a bit iffy though.
    Last edited by tentacles; 01-27-2014 at 02:44 AM.

19. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information