GM Inside News Forum banner

2015 Dodge Challenger Comes In Eight Trim Levels, None Of Them Supercharged

14K views 100 replies 56 participants last post by  NoStopN 
#1 ·

Dodge has finally taken the covers off its 2015 Challenger, but the model we’re most interested in, the high-performance SRT, is nowhere to be seen. Hopefully we’ll see it soon, as it’s the one that’s expected to get Chrysler’s new supercharged 6.2-liter HEMI V-8 dubbed the Hellcat. We’re sure of this because previous SRT powerplants like the 6.4-liter HEMI V-8 are now offered in the regular Challenger.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/...n-eight-trim-levels-none-of-them-supercharged

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
NYIAS 2014: 2015 Dodge Challenger Debuts, Comes In Eight Trim Levels

Viknesh Vijayenthiran
04/16/2014

Dodge has finally taken the covers off its 2015 Challenger, but the model we’re most interested in, the high-performance SRT, is nowhere to be seen. Hopefully we’ll see it soon, as it’s the one that’s expected to get Chrysler’s new supercharged 6.2-liter HEMI V-8 dubbed the Hellcat. We’re sure of this because previous SRT powerplants like the 6.4-liter HEMI V-8 are now offered in the regular Challenger.

Yes, the 2015 Challenger is available in eight different variants: SXT, SXT Plus, R/T, R/T Plus, R/T Shaker, R/T Plus Shaker, 6.4-liter Scat Pack and 392 HEMI Scat Pack Shaker. All feature revised styling inspired by the iconic 1971 Challenger as well as upgraded suspension, much nicer cabins and an available TorqueFlite eight-speed automatic transmission. A six-speed manual remains standard.

You’ll be able to distinguish the 2015 Challenger from the outgoing model by its new split grille, LED daytime running lights, revised tail lamps and more pronounced power bulge on the hood. Inside, you’ll find a high-sill center console, driver-focused instrument panel, aluminum bezels and a host of new color and trim options including classic Houndstooth.
CONTINUE TO ARTICLE AT MOTORAUTHORITY.COM

CONTINUE TO GALLERY AT MOTORAUTHORITY.COM

Images courtesy of TheCarConnection.com via MotorAuthority.com

#9 · (Edited)
Re: NYIAS 2014: 2015 Dodge Challenger Debuts, Comes In Eight Trim Levels

I like the exterior updates, especially considering that there probably wasn't a whole lot they could do to update the exterior from such an identifiable design. Seeing how the exterior evolves the look a bit and seems more "modern" in application, perhaps this is a slow evolution that will lead to the next Challenger having a much more contemporary look.

Interior is vastly improved. Its obviously they raided the 2015 Chargers' interior parts bin, but still appreciated and a big step forward for consumers.

As an aside, the Challenger still resides on the old, non-updated (but shortened) version of the original LX platform no? I don't see anything in the article about mechanical or platform updates, but still kind of intriguing to see them sink money into an updated exterior -- and much better interior -- for a product that debuted in 2008. They didn't move it to the updated LX platform under the 300/Thema or Charger and I wonder if they ever will considering the low production numbers the Challenger must rack up annually. That's not a stab or a dig against Chrysler, but just underlines the commitment they have in a niche product with a loyal following. Kudos to Chrysler for not letting it die and whither on the vine.

Reactions: jetstar63
#11 ·

Actually not a fan of the new tail. I'd rather them have taken the existing light bar and updated it with an LED racetrack-style look and LED brake lamps. That's just me though. And frankly even though it debuted as an SRT engine the 392 Hemi's power is what this thing needs in applications of the 345 Hemi. The downside I guess is economy, but I digress. Maybe a 6.2L NA version of the Hellcat would be a good replacement for the 345 Hemi while the 6.4L would be replaced by said Hellcat.

I wouldn't mind Dodge getting somewhat radical on the redesign. Maybe offer dual-clutch transmissions, performance AWD, etc. Hey, that's unusual for the segment but against the Mustang and Camaro it's unusual after all: cushier, bigger, more relaxed. The Challenger is its own thing, and that's fine too.

#24 ·

I don't think Dodge is offering enough trim level choices.
This is exactly why Chrysler is gaining market share in profitable product segments. Under new Fiat management, Chrysler has completely restructured their product strategy that focuses on offering an increased product depth to customers. Chrysler is giving customers more choices to fulfill their wants and needs, but, most importantly, insuring customer retention.

#15 ·

The interior is awesome! I like the new front light set up better than the old set up. The tail lights and grill are ok. Overall, nice job!

#18 ·

The interior is awesome! I like the new front light set up better than the old set up. The tail lights and grill are ok. Overall, nice job!
Halo rings around the headlights is one trend that I was hoping would die off. Maybe it won't look as overplayed in reality. The tail lights I like. I think that the 5.7 Hemi should be pushed out & replaced with the 392 since the Hellcat is coming for the SRT.

#17 ·

Huge upgrade! Dodge is on a roll with these MCEs.

#22 ·
#23 ·

I prayed for Charger interior in the Challenger. Now we have a perfect modern muscle car. Hope it will be available in plum crazy.

I know Camaro ZL-1,Z/28 are better overall sports cars. But Challenger standing next to them would be a tough choice.

#41 ·

I prayed for Charger interior in the Challenger. Now we have a perfect modern muscle car. Hope it will be available in plum crazy.

I know Camaro ZL-1,Z/28 are better overall sports cars. But Challenger standing next to them would be a tough choice.
That's a good point and a distinction that needs to be made when evaluating the Chally...it isn't the sports car that the Mustang and Camaro have turned into. However, it is what Dodge has to offer and it naturally gets compared to them. Thus, it falls short.

Dodge needs to get on board with the trend and produce a sports car. Hopefully the business case is still there for the rumored. Cuda. Dodge really needs to infuse their halo Viper into the other SRT products because right now, there is a big disconnect between the Viper and other SRT products; you really don't see that technology trickle down. Whereas Corvette technology can be seen all throughout Chevy and Cadillac as well. I don't find SRT's cred to be significant at this point until that happens.

#27 ·
I've never followed the challenger that closely although I always admired its retro theme.....

I was a teenager as this car was being produced back in the 70 s ....so it does remind me of the good old days of 440 six packs and air shocks to lift the back end as my buddies crammed chromed cragers under the rear fenders.

Believe it or not I can barely see any changes from the 2013 to this newer model?

The charger had a dramatic makeover up front.......where this car I can hardly see anything new from last year.

Thanks for posting up.

#28 ·
Personally I like the interior changes.

I don't use all-out power and I like a slightly higher seating position (not having to 'crawl in and out of the car), so the Challenger V6 would have always been my choice, but I never could see myself buying it just because I thought the interior was 1990's cheap.

I'm still not thinking I'm likely to buy one, but if I were to buy a RWD car, it would be the Challenger V6 version for sure now.

#29 ·
That's a good looking car! I actually sat in a 14 challenger yesterday as I'm currently in the market for either a challenger or a Camaro. The 14 interior seemed very cheap and dated to me in comparison the the Camaro. I also don't like that dodge doesn't let you get a Manual trans with the v-6. I'm looking for a fun to drive daily summer vehicle and right now it's looking like a 2lt Camaro will be my choice. When is the 15 challenger going to hit the dealers?

#36 · (Edited)

When is the 15 challenger going to hit the dealers?
Production starting in the summer, probably in dealerships around September/October.

They missed with the on Camaro IMHO. I think they should have been the DRL's
Only the RS models use the projector headlights with the half rings to surround them. I think going back to using the park lights as amber-colored DRLs would be better & could be used by all models.

FenwickHockey65 said:
They are the DRLs now.
The rings on the RS? I guess I missed that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.