GM Inside News Forum banner

2014 Ford Fiesta SFE Test Drive

4K views 32 replies 21 participants last post by  ponchoman49 
#1 ·
2014 Ford Fiesta SFE Test Drive
Published July 24, 2014
FoxNews.com

The Fiesta is the smallest car Ford sells in the United States, and now it’s available with the tiniest engine the company has ever made.

Ford's first three-piston motor is a 1.0-liter turbocharged powerhouse with an aluminum block the company says is small enough to fit on a sheet of letter paper or in a piece of carry-on luggage, with room to spare. With it, Ford joins Smart, Mitsubishi and MINI in what’s quickly becoming the year of the three-cylinder.

Rated at 123 horsepower, it has just three more ponies than the Fiesta’s standard 1.6-liter four-cylinder, but it comes with a big jump in tire-twisting torque. It’s rated at 125 lb-ft vs. 112 lb-ft, while a turbo overboost delivers up to 148 lb-ft in 15-second bursts. That’s a lot longer than you’d ever keep your foot planted to the floor in a car with a five-speed manual transmission. Lift, then shift.

More at link: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/07/24/2014-ford-fiesta-sfe-test-drive/?intcmp=features

See less See more
#5 ·
I think you're quoting out of context, They really liked it and the engine encouraged
them to press on harder and lose economy, here's what they really said:

LINK
Our real-world mileage for this test was 32 mpg. With a lighter right foot, it likely would be substantially better.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Another pleasant surprise: Although the Fiesta 1.0 will never star at an autocross, it gives a very good account of itself at high speeds on back roads. The little Fiesta inspires confidence in fast corners, and if there’s understeer, there’s also precision—the driver can place the car exactly as desired, a comforting trait in 80-mph sweepers. Those 80-mph sweepers had something to do with our fuel-economy results.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The Fiesta 1.0 delivers an exceptional blend of fun and fuel economy—okay, potential fuel economy—that’s rare.

#4 ·
I have not been a recent fan of turbo engines for fuel economy purposes. I think they are mostly for EPA tests, not real world driving. For the Turbo to save fuel, it has to be driven under very low load. In other words, you only get the true fuel savings if the turbo isn't working (much), which means you aren't generating much power. IN the EPA tests, the top speed on the highway tests isn't really close to how most people drive, and most people push their car harder in city driving than the EPA tests do also (and I mean MOST people, not just the most aggressive drivers)

That means I'm pretty sure the turbo is 'ramping up' a lot less or a lot slower in the EPA testing than in the real word. When that turbo is engaged, the real world mileage drops quite a bit.

#8 ·
You are exactly right, the 2.0T in my ATS is pretty fuel efficient when I stick to 60 mph on the highway and drive calmly. But as soon as I step on it or drive at 70 mpg it is no better than the 3.6 in my old 2008 Malibu LTZ. The good side is I have the option with the 2.0T to drive gently and get decent gas milage vs. the Malibu where even driving gently didn't provide great mpg savings.

Also, the 2.0T is a lot smoother and considerably more enjoyable to drive than the 3.6.

#14 · (Edited)
I installed an instrument that allows the insurer to how we drive. In the last 15 months, it has allowed us to reduce insurance premiums by about 20%.

I know this is an invasion of privacy but the insurance company does not know a lot about me: the van is only 8000 km per year, because I'm going to work by bike or walking.

We chose to reduce spending on cars and have more time for children and the rénovation of the house (my house a is little over a century old).

#17 ·
I do not think Ford is trying to sell a lot of Fiesta SFE and that is why this engine is not available in all versions, or with automatic transmission.

It does not cost much to import this engine here and install it in the Fiesta, and it gives a nice advertising Ford, who can boast to sell the most efficient in North America non-hybrid subcompact. It attracts customers at dealerships. There is a good chance that these customers come out with a regular Fiesta.

If ever fuel prices increase dramatically, there will be consumers who will rush to buy this car. It is not everyone who can afford a Volt and many of us have no place to recharge a car.

#21 ·
Only "recommended" when doing heavy towing in harsh conditions.

When the EB F150 came out, it did have V8 power (torque in the 6.2 range) with the fuel economy of a V6 (All of the truck V6's of the time, in equal trucks). When you ask for all of the power, and all of the torque, it used 365hp and 420lb ft of torque worth of fuel, or maybe a bit worse due to Ford being very conservative on their fuel mapping under heavy load. Look for EB 2.0 (2.7L and redesigned 3.5L when out) to correct much of that.

Of course, why would I expect you to use reality, when it is much easier to use anti EB hyperbole.

Now, what in the hell does that have to do with a 3cyl EB engine in a Fiesta?? Were you planning on towing a 5th wheel with one??

I get it, you hate EB. That's fine, and is certainly your prerogative. Simple solution.................. don 't buy one. For hundreds of thousands of buyers, they have worked just fine, and are a damn fine engine (as are many other engines). If you drive them sanely, and in the correct manner for a turbo engine (hint, they have a lot of torque, and do not require a lot of happy pedal), then you will get very good mileage out of them.

I know I do.................. on regular................... in my Sport that is rated on Premium.

So, get over it already.

Next up, 10K pound towing test by MrCritical in an EB Fiesta !!! :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.