2013 SRT Viper not earmarked for Europe

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 SRT Viper not earmarked for Europe

Thanks

Leftlane News
    January 29, 2013
    by Ronan Glon

After weeks of rumors and speculation, a spokesperson for Chrysler has confirmed that the 2013 SRT Viper will not be sold in Europe.

Chrysler's reasoning is a little vague but it appears that the automaker prefers to concentrate its resources on successfully launching the two-seater in the United States. Europe's highly-publicized economic woes, the eroded state of the new car market and an unfavorable exchange rate mean that launching a sports car whose base price lurks in the vicinity of $100,000 is a tough proposition for the company's top brass.

Full article at link.
    Last edited by nruggiero; 01-29-2013 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Please use the original title when posting.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member jzchev28's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado Z71 Blue Topaz

Re: No Global Corvette, No Global Viper...

Since when isn't the Corvette going to be sold in Europe? I never saw that, the only thing I saw was no RHD.

GMI Contributor
    Thanks

Then I guess without a RHD Corvette there is little hope for anything like this re-skin below to commemorate the Torana GTR-X...

Just for Holden fans; GTR-X

Last edited by MonaroSS; 01-29-2013 at 12:17 PM.

Thanks

Of course the Corvette is global, for the majority of countries that arent arse backwards RHD.......

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 igor's Avatar
    Thanks

^^ LOL ...

what is the news on the MUstang? Will that be RHD? We know it will go to Europe. Will it go to the Isles and down under?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Corvette convertible to be shown at Geneva March 5th...

I believe the Corvette will be sold in europe and abroad..

I don't know about viper but the corvette was designed to meet other countries standards..

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar voyager's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Guzzi Monza Alfa Romeo 156SW

Here, the cheapest Corvette will sell for around 130,000 euro. That's $170,000+. Together with the fact that it will be thirsty (gasoline is twice a expensive as in the U.S.) and its residual value will be way lower than that of a similarly priced Porsche 911, you have to be an avid Corvette fan to buy a new one. Pricing situation may be slightly better in other European countries though. Still, I'd say "deglobalized" before it even hits the market.
    Last edited by voyager; 01-29-2013 at 11:22 AM.
    GeneratinGMobilizing
    "Motown callingArea 51"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by voyager View Post
    Here, the cheapest Corvette will sell for around 130,000 euro. That's $170,000+. Together with the fact that it will be thirsty (gasoline is twice a expensive as in the U.S.) and its residual value will be way lower than that of a similarly priced Porsche 911, you have to be an avid Corvette fan to buy a new one. Pricing situation may be slightly better in other European countries though. Still, I'd say "deglobalized" before it even hits the market.
    It will be as thirsty as any other sports car with 450 + HP..maybe even less. But people who buys cars with that much horsepower don't care much about fuel consumption. Only problem i see (on European market) is people not realizing that big displacement doesn't automatically means outrageous fuel consumption. So they might choose another sports car not even looking at Corvette.
    Last edited by asrapid1; 01-29-2013 at 11:36 AM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by voyager View Post
    I doubt gas milage makes much of an impact to people with that kind of cash. The biggest issue is for GM to get the word out that the Vette has changed and doesn't have the low budget interior. Now that the Vette has a quality interior, what does a comparable Ferrari or Porsche have over it (assuming the Vette drives as good as it sounds like it will). Especially in the USA where the Vette has an immense price advantage over Ferrari/Porsche.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Re: 2013 SRT Viper not earmarked for Europe

No RHD but Corvette will be xported. I'm not suprised by this move from SRT. I personally think it's smart, they have made a ton of changes to thier structure and need to get cash flow up asap.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by asrapid1 View Post
    It will be as thirsty as any other sports car with 450 + HP..maybe even less. But people who buys cars with that much horsepower don't care much about fuel consumption. Only problem i see (on European market) is people not realizing that big displacement doesn't automatically means outrageous fuel consumption. So they might choose another sports car not even looking at Corvette.
    The big cost of big cubes is when your registration fees are tied to engine size.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member NoStopN's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '02 Sierra HT (Stepside)

Quote Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
    No RHD but Corvette will be xported. I'm not suprised by this move from SRT. I personally think it's smart, they have made a ton of changes to thier structure and need to get cash flow up asap.
    This. Considering that Vipers don't roll out of Connor Avenue at the same rate as a Ram 1500, there will only be a certain amount to be sold in the first place. Plus, all of the economic issues in Europe make a strong case for rejecting selling it there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinner View Post
    The big cost of big cubes is when your registration fees are tied to engine size.
    This is one of the reasons why small cars sold in the US now are designed mostly in Europe. The US is about to get a bigger taste of what Europeans have dealt with for decades.

"Don't think of it as a slap. Think of it as a high 5.....for your stupid face." How I Met Your Mother--January 13, 2014

I love you, Dad. 8/25/57-3/28/11

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    11' Cruze LTZ

What an archaic way of designating vehicles fuel efficiency based upon engine size!

The Vette has so much tech packed into the 6.2.

It will most likely be as or more efficient than an Audi RS4/C63 AMG, let alone the Audi R8 (sans diesel)/Lambo/Porsche/Ferrari/etc or any other exotic/hyper car.

This is a trade barrier.

I am tired of Europe and Japan putting restrictions on the amount of vehicles or types upon imported American autos.

They sell whatever they want here in the American market and yet have protectionist policies against America.

It is time for the American public to open their eyes and hurt the foreign car makers whose countries do not partake in fair trading practices.

Since the American Gov't will not take action we as American consumers must be smarter with our wallets.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sinner View Post
    I've mentioned this in another topic..in my country it doesn't matter if you have 4.0 l or 7.0 l engine (if you have over 2,5 l there is very little differences between price of registration), registration fees are almost identical..i don't know how things are in other countries..

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

an 8.4L engine may have something to do with it

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information