2013 Lincoln MKT EcoBoost Review (nsap)

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Lincoln MKT EcoBoost Review (nsap)

Editor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,622 Times in 372 Posts
    Blog Entries

2013 Lincoln MKT EcoBoost Review (nsap)

2013 Lincoln MKT EcoBoost Review
    Lincoln's definition of luxury is very broad in the revised MKT.
    www.GMInsideNews.com
    December 11, 2012
    By: Nick Saporito

Luxury wears a dynamic definition. Every individual and marque has a different meaning for the word and attempts to apply it to their brand in an novel way. Lately Lincoln has been seeking to give their spin on the meaning of luxury by re-launching the brand with the all-new MKZ. While the new MKZ is getting all of the attention of the new Lincoln Motor Company, the brand has a couple other new products, including the 2013 MKT crossover, that are helping give Lincoln a new meaning.

The MKT launched in 2010 as the curvy cousin to the shoebox-like Ford Flex. The media generally praised both large crossovers, but sales have consistently been muted due to polarizing exterior designs and high price points. For 2013 both crossovers received a do-over of minor design alterations and additional features, with the MKT receiving a few extra goodies as part of Lincolnís revitalization.

One approach to luxury is design centric. Having a standout design or heritage infused look are common amongst luxury cars in todayís market. For 2013 the MKTís front clip was actually toned down a bit. The massive gull-wing grille has been replaced by a smaller version with a finer pattern filling its bounds. Aside from the new grille and new wheel designs, not much else has changed. Left are some heritage cues, however, such as the reverse kick-up in the belt-line; a trait borrowed from the iconic 1961 Continental.

Whether or not you like the MKT exterior design is entirely up to each individual, but it is hard to dispute that it stands out. The MKT looks like nothing else on the market, particularly the crowded crossover market where everything has the same general shape. The tall wagon look of this Lincoln may be a point of discussion, but thatís arguably a good thing for a brand trying to get noticed again. Changes on the outside of the 2013 model may be minimal, but the toned down grille goes a long way at giving the vehicle a classier appearance, particularly in dark colors.

Exterior vanity aside, its often said that what matters most is on the inside, and MKT is much less polarizing in that regard. The overall look and form of the MKT interior has remained unchanged for 2013, but important hard points of this cabin have been altered or upgraded.

Following the theme of the MKX and other Ford products, the MKT is devoid of any physical buttons on the center stack. Instead a single piece of metallic plastic houses many capacitive touch buttons, including two finger slides for volume and fan speed controls. From a pure aesthetic point of view, the updated stack is more attractive. The black plastic buttons that filled the center stack of the first MKT are gone, and in their place is a seamless clean surface. The function of this change is where the debate is, but more on that in a bit.

The trend of simplifying the visual of the interior continued by changing out the analog gauge cluster with Fordís MyLincoln Touch gauges, which encompass two 4.2-inch LCD panels flanking an analog speedometer. In front of the new gauge cluster rests a new Lincoln-specific steering wheel with lots of buttons. The new wheel design is a vast improvement over the previous, though the sea of buttons may intimidate some drivers. Rounding out the noticeable interior changes is the addition of Fordís new global switchgear, which features chrome accents and is a bit more ergonomic than the outgoing gear.

Lincoln has also slipped in a few not-so-noticeable changes inside the revised MKT, including updated seats. To the naked eye the seat design is the same as the last MKT, but engineers have added more side bolsters to the front buckets, as well as a much-needed center armrest to the second row bench seat. Engineers have also isolated interior noise a bit further thanks to additional insulation in the A-pillars. Both additions make the already comfortable MKT, even more so.

From day one the biggest problem with the MKT interior is one that remains unchanged. Thanks to the MKTís slopping rear roofline, third row passengers have very limited headroom and legroom isnít much better. There is little question that the third row is exclusive for children or small adults for short trips.

Read More...

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

lam
    Premium Member Premium Member lam's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: 2013 Lincoln MKT EcoBoost Review (nsap)

Excellent review,nsap!
    The greatest limiting factor the MKT success is the design more like a ''Wagon'' than traditional SUV look Americans adore.

Thanks

Definitely a polarizing design. I like the way it looks; my partner hates it. I'll bet if it had a Pontiac badge on the hood he'd feel differently, though.

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC buttfish77's Avatar
    Thanks

Where do you find these ghost towns in Kansas for your car photography? I like it!

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Nice review NSAP!

Sounds like a decent update, but overall I don't think they will move the needle in regards to sales volume or attracting new customers. This is not enough to relaunch the brand. In the end it's the styling that keeps people away. The grill is an improvement, but the sheetmetal needs some tweeks as well.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Nice review NSAP!

Sounds like a decent update, but overall I don't think they will move the needle in regards to sales volume or attracting new customers. This is not enough to relaunch the brand. In the end it's the styling that keeps people away. The grill is an improvement, but the sheetmetal needs some tweeks as well.

News Contributor
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    The grill is an improvement, but the sheetmetal needs some tweeks as well.
    The sheetmetal needs some tweaks? What? It needs a whole lot more than "some tweaks". I'd rather see it axed along with the rest of Lincoln's lackluster products.

Editor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,622 Times in 372 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nruggiero View Post
    The sheetmetal needs some tweaks? What? It needs a whole lot more than "some tweaks". I'd rather see it axed along with the rest of Lincoln's lackluster products.
    That's the sad part. The MKT is a fantastic product wrapped in a polarizing design.
    "What's noteworthy about this rumor is that it came from GMInsideNews.com. That in itself gives it a bit more credibility." - Edmund's Insideline, June 21, 2008

E-Mail Me

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Acadia

I've been seeing a lot of these (and the XTS) in NYC as livery vehicles. In livery version, aka Town Car, it loses the 3rd row. I have yet to ride in one, and I'm sure they are nicer inside compared to the old Town Car, but I still can't get over the exterior.

2014 GMC Acadia
    2011 BMW 328i xDrive

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

The MKT , and Flex Ecoboost fixed the main fly in the ointment which was brakes that were barely acceptable for the level of performance offered. However why would Ford think the Flex which does not sell in a notable way would make a great Lincoln especially when you consider how the Mercedes R Class sold before it was unceremoniously axed in the US market? Lincoln would perhaps benefit from an Explorer Sport variant which would sell very well I believe.

Thanks

A. That grill is ugly.
    2. Interior isn't bad.
    D. That steering wheel design looks awfully familiar.
    "If you truly wanted to save the environment, you would live in it, not on it." --KG

"Show me how to live, and I'll teach you how to die." --KG

Future President of The United States.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Butz's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    DC Metro

Lincoln needs a new design language. This one doesn't work.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) megeebee's Avatar
    Thanks

I will be surprised if the MKT survives into 2015. Ford will not spend the huge sums necessary to reskin it. Making the livery version they call "Town Car" is all the admission required from Ford that it's a big flop. The compact SUV coming, the MKX, and the Navigator are sufficient for the brand.
    Last edited by megeebee; 12-12-2012 at 01:40 AM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 goblue's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    That's the sad part. The MKT is a fantastic product wrapped in a polarizing design.
    That's it - but I'll go a bit further. What you want when designing a car is a polarizing design that some people love, and the rest still feel its attractive, but not for them. The problem for Lincoln is the majority find it ugly. Take Lincoln a bit further down that road, and you hit the Aztek. Some people loved that car and found it to be a great visual design. The vast majority found it hideous.

Check out the ATS in Butz's signature. That's what I'm talking about. An attractive car by all accounts but some will love the A&S design cues and bond with them.

If Lincoln just subtracted one part brash and added one part elegance they'd be in the right spot.
    Last edited by goblue; 12-12-2012 at 08:24 AM.
    VOLTEC is the future of everything automotive.
    A plug in Prius is not the same as a VOLT.
    No longer do you have to buy the worst in class car for the best MPG.
    The Prius is now irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by John1701a View Post
    VOLT USES LESS GAS

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

The MKTurd is a poor excuse for a Town Car replacement period. That and I don't trust the Ecoboost engines for long term reliability seeing as 2 different owners I know with them in the pickup trucks have already suffered issues in less than 5K miles.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information