2013 Honda Civic Review (AutoGuide)

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Honda Civic Review (AutoGuide)

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

2013 Honda Civic Review (AutoGuide)

2013 Honda Civic Review
    AutoGuide
    November 29, 2012
    by Colum Wood

How bad was the 2012 Honda Civic? Despite the less-than favorable reviews, not very. So why all the fuss?

Simple: expectations.

With other automakers, ranging from the domestics to the surging Korean powerhouses of Hyundai and Kia, having stepped-up their respective games, 2012 was seen as a sink or swim moment for Honda. The once revered brand had suffered from a spate of problems, ranging from supply issues and low sales surrounding the Japanese earthquake and tsunami, to products that were either poor, or perceived to be that way, including the Insight, CR-Z and Crosstour.

In other words, Honda needed to do something big, right at a time when anything less than big would be perceived as half-assed. The 2012 Civic was undoubtedly of the partial-posterior variety.

Full article at link.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Re: 2013 Honda Civic Review (AutoGuide)

You know when the article starts off saying that the 2012 wasn't that bad, that they are going to love the redesign.

But it does look like Honda fixed its issues and now has a competitive vehicle again.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    You know when the article starts off saying that the 2012 wasn't that bad, that they are going to love the redesign.

But it does look like Honda fixed its issues and now has a competitive vehicle again.
    Except the styling changes amount to lipstick on a pig. I do give them credit for finally taking the interior noise issue seriously.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar GM-Joe's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Pontiac Grand Prix base

Nothing sensational there. The 2006-2011 was ground breaking and still looks nice, this still looks awkward, maybe even worse than the 2011-2012.75 (Neon) model. The tail lights look like they belong on a different vehicle and don' t match the front fascia. The interior is improved, but this is now an also-ran.
    Current:
    2007 Pontiac Grand Prix (100k+ mi.)
    Sold to Dad:
    1997 Saab 900 2.0 Turbo(150k+ mi.) for $1000 and agreed to help replace the transmission and clutch, now 200k+ mi.
    Retired:
    1987 Chevrolet Silverado 10 (retired 11/12/2007; 219,986 mi.)
    Dead:
    1983 Datsun 280 ZX by Nissan (146,857 mi.)
    1986 Lincoln Mercury Lynx (64K mi.)
    1979 Chrysler Cordoba w/ Corinthian Leather seats (130K mi.)
    1976 Dodge Charger (130K mi.)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Premium Member WishIhadatruck's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Cruze/2014/Silver

Was that an advertisement or a review? Sounds improved but I didn't pay much attention to the 2012. Good for Honda on making some quick and apparently needed improvements.

1996 Buick Roadmaster Wagon
    2003 8.1L 2500 4x4 Suburban
    2014 Chevrolet Cruze Eco Manual

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Sonoma Red GMC Sierra SLT

Lipstick on a Pig indeed! I wonder if the press will fawn all over the Malibu in a year when it get's it's slight makeover...Doubtful!
    Truckin!

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC 90CamaroRS's Avatar
    Thanks

Car still looks like hell inside and out though. Not a fan of the GMT-800 style dash with the radio and all controls facing the driver. Works great for a truck, but not a compact car. Also, the dashes in these things are more bloated and drawn out all over the dash then they ever needed to be. You don't need more than two places to look to control your car. All you need(and what looks much better) is a dash in one place, and a center column. Never been a fan on this car, so no surprise nothing excites me here either.
    Proud Owner Of a 1990 Camaro RS

Best Mileage to date: 33.8MPG
    525 highway miles on a single tank

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) AMERICA 123's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Interesting -

Also improved is safety.

While cosmetic updates are the norm for a mid-cycle refresh, modifications to the car’s structure are unheard of, and yet that’s what Honda has done. Numerous reinforcements are designed so that the Civic will meet new even more strict crash testing procedures, including the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety’s new Top Safety Pick Plus rating.

Those structural changes, as well as the added sound deadening do, however, add weight to the Civic. According to a Honda representative we spoke with, the updates add as much as 100 lbs. He informed us that small changes to the engine did actually result in improved fuel economy, but the added weight negated the benefits.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Honda's used to be simple and classy looking. They should go back to that look, IMO

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Pedal 2 Metal's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Toyota Matrix XRS

Quote Originally Posted by steve333 View Post
    Honda's used to be simple and classy looking. They should go back to that look, IMO
    They did it with the new Accord. Not sure why they're having such a hard time with the Civic.

Part of their problem is an unwillingness to spend money. The Americans and Koreans especially are offering tremendous value with their economy cars, where as Toyota and Honda are just like, "Well. It's reliable". An optioned out Veloster has more gadgets than the much pricier ct200h. That's just wrong.
    Last edited by Pedal 2 Metal; 12-05-2012 at 08:37 AM.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    15Soul+ Yellow; 01 PT LTD

I just drove a 2012 Civic and don't see where all the hate comes from.

How many of the critics here have actually laid hands on the wheel, feet on the throttle?

Parroting opinions from the autoscribes is one thing, actually driving the car is different and often an other-worldly experience.

15Soul+ 13Charger8A 13Soul 11 200V6 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02AccordV6 01Accord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCivic5m 96Concorde 95Intrepid 94Protege5m 92SHO5m 93Protege5m 92P50Taurus 91Camry5m

“Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
    ― Thomas Jefferson

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Sonoma Red GMC Sierra SLT

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    I just drove a 2012 Civic and don't see where all the hate comes from.

How many of the critics here have actually laid hands on the wheel, feet on the throttle?

Parroting opinions from the autoscribes is one thing, actually driving the car is different and often an other-worldly experience.
    I don't care how it drives, I think it's ugly!
    Truckin!

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    15Soul+ Yellow; 01 PT LTD

Quote Originally Posted by Ambalanche View Post
    I don't care how it drives, I think it's ugly!
    That's a perfectly legitimate critical opinion. That's what keeps me off Ford lots for the most part. Their cars just don't synch with my tastes.

My question is to all the folks who are influenced by the autoscribes but who have not set foot on a lot to experience the "horrible" 2012 Civic.
    Elsewhere in these pages you will find a brief write-up of that and a few other cars.

15Soul+ 13Charger8A 13Soul 11 200V6 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02AccordV6 01Accord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCivic5m 96Concorde 95Intrepid 94Protege5m 92SHO5m 93Protege5m 92P50Taurus 91Camry5m

“Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
    ― Thomas Jefferson

Thanks

I think that worth at least to try driving that car before making any statement.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 ElmerMCR's Avatar
    Thanks

Pretty good to go through this refresh, add standard back up cameras across the line and only go up under $200 on each trim level.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information