2013 Ford Fusion Energi Rated at 100 MPGe Combined

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Ford Fusion Energi Rated at 100 MPGe Combined

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Automobile Magazine
    December 29, 2012
    by Edward A. Sanchez

As with the C-Max and Fusion hybrid, which are both rated at 47 mpg combined, the new Ford Fusion Energi plug-in hybrid attains the same 100 MPGe combined rating as its five-door cousin, the C-Max Energi. This officially gives both the C-Max and Fusion Energi models a higher MPGe rating than two of its plug-in rivals, the Chevrolet Volt and Toyota Prius Plug-in. However, the non-plugin versions of the C-Max and Fusion hybrid have both been reported to fall well short of their claimed economy, so real-world results remain to be seen.

Ford is touting the Fusion Energi as America’s “most fuel efficient sedan.” For reference, the Prius plug-in hybrid is rated at 95 MPGe combined, and the Chevrolet Volt is rated at 98 MPGe. Honda has announced a plug-in hybrid version of the new Accord sedan, but official fuel economy figures have not yet been released for the model.

Full article at link.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FG Falcon Utility

Re: 2013 Ford Fusion Energi Rated at 100 MPGe Combined

Great effort Ford, offering a mainstream large mid sized vehicle with a plug in hybrid option shows conviction,
    having it as an incremental increase on a regular hybrid model also helps defray the development cost too.

I hope this becomes the catalyst for GM to do more with Voltec and supply either as a Regal or LaCrosse...

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

I hope the EPA verifies the numbers on this model!

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

This "MPGe" is so useless as a number, why the hell do they bring it about? It makes no sense on any level. Even to compare to MPG of gasoline, you have numbers in the 10's 20's and 30's and then this MPGe comes in the 100's and 200's ??

Why not a simple kWh per 100 miles so people would actually know how much energy the vehicle will consume and how much that will cost you?! Or even a miles per kWh fuel economy number.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smaart Aas Saabr View Post
    This "MPGe" is so useless as a number, why the hell do they bring it about? It makes no sense on any level. Even to compare to MPG of gasoline, you have numbers in the 10's 20's and 30's and then this MPGe comes in the 100's and 200's ??

Why not a simple kWh per 100 miles so people would actually know how much energy the vehicle will consume and how much that will cost you?! Or even a miles per kWh fuel economy number.

Yeah, it makes sense for a pure electric, but a plug in hybrid's mileage is purely subjective, based on the owner's habits. They should separate the pure electric numbers from the gas only numbers. MPGe means nothing to the average person. People buying plugins are more concerned with pure electric range, than anything else. If they wanted a repeatable mpg average, the get a regular hybrid.

Thanks
    My Ride
    FG Falcon Utility

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Brocaine View Post
    Yeah, it makes sense for a pure electric, but a plug in hybrid's mileage is purely subjective, based on the owner's habits. They should separate the pure electric numbers from the gas only numbers. MPGe means nothing to the average person. People buying plugins are more concerned with pure electric range, than anything else. If they wanted a repeatable mpg average, the get a regular hybrid.

The EPA's city highway test cycles were devised to bring up fuel usage in conventional vehicle through lots of speed variations, a hybrid or electric vehicle is able to get past a lot of these test without switching on the gas engine making a mockery of figures.

IMO, when it comes to hybrids, the EPA should be showing comsumers:
    - Battery only average distance
    - Depleted battery city, highway and a new steady state 60 mph fuel economy test loop

That way consumers would be able to better understand exactly how hybrids achieve their good fuel economy...

Thanks

I'm unimpressed with Ford's Energi powertrain system and the rest of their "mpg" technologies. I worry Ford is going to get their doors blown off by Toyota's next gen Pruis and GM's Voltec v2.

Thanks
    My Ride
    FG Falcon Utility

Quote Originally Posted by hydrogen View Post
    I'm unimpressed with Ford's Energi powertrain system and the rest of their "mpg" technologies. I worry Ford is going to get their doors blown off by Toyota's next gen Pruis and GM's Voltec v2.
    So long as Ford doesn't die of old age waiting....

In case you haven't notice, C-max is starting to kick Prius in the butt big time, and it's only been two months.
    Hybrid fusion and MKZ wre averaging 900 sales each on last product cycle, this ime is expected to be much
    better now that Ford has TRIPLED hybrid production capacity by taking parts manufacturing in house.
    Last edited by jpd80; 12-29-2012 at 10:16 PM.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Pardon my ignorance but how could GM apply Voltec to a mid size car like the Malibu? Isn't the technology packaged around the layout of the car? I don't see how GM could answer the Fusion energi with anything they have now.
    RedSkyBlackDream

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

I hope your concerns come true ... then Ford will have to work to regain the lead. Then maybe the consumer possibly has a chance to win.
    It is important what WE use as our "moral compass" and ...
    the "measuring stick" chosen for judging progress/success as well.

44 mpg by 2010 ... 2013?

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smaart Aas Saabr View Post

EPA does post kWh/100 miles, see Focus example ... Fusion plug-in not posted yet.
    It is important what WE use as our "moral compass" and ...
    the "measuring stick" chosen for judging progress/success as well.

44 mpg by 2010 ... 2013?

Thanks
    My Ride
    FG Falcon Utility

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkyBlackDream View Post
    Pardon my ignorance but how could GM apply Voltec to a mid size car like the Malibu? Isn't the technology packaged around the layout of the car? I don't see how GM could answer the Fusion energi with anything they have now.
    Only the positioning of the batteries in the tight confines of of the Delta II flooring.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    So long as Ford doesn't die of old age waiting....

In case you haven't notice, C-max is starting to kick Prius in the butt big time, and it's only been two months.
    Hybrid fusion and MKZ wre averaging 900 sales each on last product cycle, this ime is expected to be much
    better now that Ford has TRIPLED hybrid production capacity by taking parts manufacturing in house.
    Believe me, I want see Ford succeed and take market share away from Toyota, but here's the problem. Many third parties that have reviewed the Fusion Hybrid achieved 20% less combined mpg than the claimed 47 mpg rating. That's a significant difference and not acceptable. 10% deviation is acceptable, 20% translates to poor execution of Ford. Customers are paying for the 47 mpg and are going to regret their purchasing decision when they see the under performing figures. Ford may lose those customers that they're battling for to other brands. And word travels fast about a regrettable purchase. I expect similar under performing figures from the Energi line as well.
    Last edited by hydrogen; 12-30-2012 at 02:20 AM.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkyBlackDream View Post
    If the components fit in a Delta sized vehicle, it would more easily fit in a larger vehicle. Electric motors are very compact, and GM has multiple engines that could power a larger voltec, so it comes down to GM's engineering expertise and willingness to expand voltec to larger vehicles.
    There has been a 10-mile battery under development for some time, and that battery, in combination with a larger gas engine, could give a very high mpg car.. If you think in terms of how much hp is needed to maintain a speed, the number is low, probably in the 20-30 hp range to maintain typical highway speeds. If GM develops a way to use excess power generation to re-charge the battery while underway, the battery range could be extended considerably.
    The 149 hp Volt electric motor accelerates the Volt to 60 mph in around 8 seconds, a speed that is acceptable, while a larger gas engine with say 75 hp and blended electric and gas propulsion could be very acceptable on acceleration.
    I think future versions of AFM will allow for even 4 cylinder engines to run on 2 cylinders, with resultant high mpg, so such a vehicle could eclipse what is being produced by Ford or Toyota (or GM) at this time.
    Last edited by Dr. Show-Me; 12-30-2012 at 03:24 AM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    FG Falcon Utility

Believe me, I want see Ford succeed and take market share away from Toyota, but here's the problem. Many third parties that have reviewed the Fusion Hybrid achieved 20% less combined mpg than the claimed 47 mpg rating. That's a significant difference and not acceptable. 10% deviation is acceptable, 20% translates to poor execution of Ford.
    Here's the deal, quite a few people have bought these new hybrids, close to 7,000 in the first two months. So of course you are going to get a few that don't understand that the fuel economy cited is purely test data but the bulk of buyers are centred in California and are indeed former Prius owners. So the people mostly buying C-Max and Fusion hybrid are returning hybrid buyers......hope the penny drops......

Customers are paying for the 47 mpg and are going to regret their purchasing decision when they see the under performing figures. Ford may lose those customers that they're battling for to other brands. And word travels fast about a regrettable purchase. I expect similar under performing figures from the Energi line as well.
    Storm in a tea cup, buyers are a lot more savvy than reviewers make out, there was a good well balanced review done by Mark Phelan that did a great job of hosing down a lot of the shrill headlines ...Article here..

In the near future, I hope Ford voluntarily does their own steady state, 60 mph test cycle or similar. I think that would go a long way to restoring credibility because IMO, it has to be one of the hardest economy tests for a hybrid to do as there is no opportunity to use electric mode, no opportunity to use regenerate braking and two electric motors spinning constantly use more energy than they recover.
    Last edited by jpd80; 12-30-2012 at 03:26 AM.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information