GM Inside News Forum banner

2013 Ford Fusion Energi: 21 Miles Of Electric Range From Plug-In Hybrid

4K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  AMERICA 123 
#1 ·
2013 Ford Fusion Energi: 21 Miles Of Electric Range From Plug-In Hybrid
Green Car Reports
January 17, 2013
by Antony Ingram

The guessing is over, as Ford has revealed full EPA mileage figures for its 2013 Fusion Energi plug-in hybrid, after teasing its 108 MPGe highway rating a few weeks back.

Joining the C-Max Energi in Ford's plug-in hybrid lineup, the Fusion Energi touts a combined 100 MPGe in blended electric mode, with city and highway figures of 108 and 92 MPGe.

In regular hybrid mode, combined mileage is 43 mpg, with 44 mpg city and 31 highway.

The Fusion's official range is 620 miles, 21 of those on electricity alone. Electric-only top speed is an impressive 85 mph, meaning silent highway cruising.

That means the Fusion Energi offers better electric range than the Toyota Prius Plug-In (11 miles) and Honda Accord Plug-In (13 miles), but less than the range-extended Chevrolet Volt.

The figures in hybrid mode also lag behind those of the Prius and Accord plug-ins, the former managing 50 mpg combined, the latter 46 combined. The Accord plug-in also offers greater blended efficiency, with an official 115 MPGe.

Full article at link.

See less See more
#3 ·
Some will complain that it doesn't get 21 miles because they have the A/C or heater on as well as the head lamps...
I personally think this is a great effort from Ford, the big challenge is to improve battery capacity for added range
and more compact size.

#5 ·
Dear Mr. Akerson and GM,

Has the Malibu much to your chagrin been a dissapointment, and do you desire something notable to relaunch the revised Malibu? Release a Voltec Malibu with a 40 mile range, and price it within reach of those currently considering the upcoming Fusion Energi, and Honda Accord hybrid.

Thank You,

Voltec for Life

#6 ·
I think its cool for what it is. Lower tech than the Volt, but also at lower cost. I'd choose this over a Camry Hybrid, Prius, or BAS Malibu if I needed an efficient sedan.

Of course, I'd prefer a diesel, so odds are I'd go with a Cruze diesel if available (and presuming I didn't need any roominess advantage the Fusion may have).

#8 ·
I may be wrong, but isn't it because this still acts like a hybrid even when not on full EV mode, meaning significantly higher MPG's than the Volt's 31 after the pure EV runs out?

(I don't have the figures in front of me, i'm just taking a guess, but I think I'm close).

#10 ·
Sounds pretty good.
Too bad it can't be trusted to deliver in the real world.
Or be driven like a real car and stay all electric.

#12 ·
The EPA has to give up on this MPGe thing. It makes no sense that a car that has MORE electric range gets a lower MPGe rating. Since Voltec covers 80+% of a driver's daily commute in pure electric mode it should have the higher MPGe. But the EPA does some fancy dance and it comes in below the Fusion. It makes no sense and I have multiple degrees in this odd thing called "mathematics". For I can't comprehend how my daily commute of 50km would use LESS fuel in a Fusion than in a Volt since at the moment my daily commute usually uses NO fuel.

But maybe I'm just not as smart as them gubmint scientists.

#18 ·
I see your point, but I think they kind of cover your objection by also estimating annual fuel costs. As you know, just like with the Prius there are trip lengths where the Volt will be cheaper to run than the Fusion Energi, and vice versa (assuming both match their EPA numbers). Like on one of my 150 mile runs, the Energi and Volt would break about even due to the Energi's higher mpg. On longer runs, the Energi wins (again assuming I can match their 43mpg number). In fact on a really long trip, even the non-plug in Fusion hybrid might win. So a lot comes down to usage patterns.

In the life of my Volt so far, it's averaged 71 mpg (assuming "free" electricity). I think I could match that with the Fusion Energi given the same driving patterns. There are other people averaging 1000 mpg with their Volts, so that's obviously the right car for them.

#14 · (Edited)
Ford's plug In hybrids are not competing with Volt, they are two very different and attract different buyers.
The success or otherwise of the Fords versus the GM Volt are completely independent of each other.

I have every confidence that the electric range of Ford's energi hybrids will hold up to scrutiny just like Volt
I also believe any city cycle mode or mixed speed test will show hybrid superiority over conventional vehicles

But the elephant in the room that no one at the EPA is addressing is steady state running at highway speed,
this has to be the worst circumstance for a hybrid where energy conservation is reduced and fuel usage the highest.

#15 ·
Ford's plug In hybrids are not competing with Volt, they are two very different and attract different buyers.
The success or otherwise of the Fords versus the GM Volt are completely independent of each other.
So in other words you want Ford to succeed, and care not if the Volt fails or did I misread your posts intent?

;)

#20 · (Edited)
Hey..... jus' wonderin' aloud......how should one apply if at all, the new negative one third Ford hybrid real world mpg correction factor to this one - with a plug ?

Does that apply to all ev range as well ?

31 HIGHWAY..... needs work.

Thankfully however, that gives some breathing room to ..... Chrysler.

#22 · (Edited)
I am still looking for GM coming with Voltec Malibu with

a) No Plug one ( pure mountain mode - no plug ) - with around 45 - 50 mpg both city and highway . Put the same power train on Impala also instead of the eAssist power-train.

b) A 20 Mile EV range one.

Don't derive another technology and spend a lot money, spend that money on perfecting the 4ET50 electric drive unit, so you can use the transmission and use economies of scale to work for you.

And same i assume they do for Equinox also ( they should work on making Voltec AWD attaching a second motor to the back wheels also ).

#24 ·
The Fusion Energi is not a direct Volt competitor aside from it's powertrain difference because quite simply it is a size class above. Were I to find the Fusion appealing it would of course be more compelling to me for it's size, and 5th seat which the Volt lacks but I would have to weight that functionality against the lower electric only range.

#31 ·
They'll be wantin' to keep an eye on the mirror - for the Accord 'phev' .... until it goes past.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.