2013 Ford Fusion Energi: 21 Miles Of Electric Range From Plug-In Hybrid

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Ford Fusion Energi: 21 Miles Of Electric Range From Plug-In Hybrid

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Green Car Reports
    January 17, 2013
    by Antony Ingram

The guessing is over, as Ford has revealed full EPA mileage figures for its 2013 Fusion Energi plug-in hybrid, after teasing its 108 MPGe highway rating a few weeks back.

Joining the C-Max Energi in Ford's plug-in hybrid lineup, the Fusion Energi touts a combined 100 MPGe in blended electric mode, with city and highway figures of 108 and 92 MPGe.

In regular hybrid mode, combined mileage is 43 mpg, with 44 mpg city and 31 highway.

The Fusion's official range is 620 miles, 21 of those on electricity alone. Electric-only top speed is an impressive 85 mph, meaning silent highway cruising.

That means the Fusion Energi offers better electric range than the Toyota Prius Plug-In (11 miles) and Honda Accord Plug-In (13 miles), but less than the range-extended Chevrolet Volt.

The figures in hybrid mode also lag behind those of the Prius and Accord plug-ins, the former managing 50 mpg combined, the latter 46 combined. The Accord plug-in also offers greater blended efficiency, with an official 115 MPGe.

Full article at link.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

Re: 2013 Ford Fusion Energi: 21 Miles Of Electric Range From Plug-In Hybrid

21 miles ** is pretty good, but I wonder if this will suffer from the mileage inflation the hybrid is taking a hit on.

** Please note, 21 miles is valid under controlled environments where a constant downward 1 degree slope is present.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FG Falcon Utility

Quote Originally Posted by usa1 View Post
    21 miles ** is pretty good, but I wonder if this will suffer from the mileage inflation the hybrid is taking a hit on.

** Please note, 21 miles is valid under controlled environments where a constant downward 1 degree slope is present.
    Some will complain that it doesn't get 21 miles because they have the A/C or heater on as well as the head lamps...
    I personally think this is a great effort from Ford, the big challenge is to improve battery capacity for added range
    and more compact size.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    07 Corvette Convertible-Cruze

If this is the best foot forward Ford can do to uproot the Volt, they have failed. Of coarse in Ford's eyes this will be the best like everything else Ford makes.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Dear Mr. Akerson and GM,

Has the Malibu much to your chagrin been a dissapointment, and do you desire something notable to relaunch the revised Malibu? Release a Voltec Malibu with a 40 mile range, and price it within reach of those currently considering the upcoming Fusion Energi, and Honda Accord hybrid.

Thank You,

Voltec for Life

Thanks

I think its cool for what it is. Lower tech than the Volt, but also at lower cost. I'd choose this over a Camry Hybrid, Prius, or BAS Malibu if I needed an efficient sedan.

Of course, I'd prefer a diesel, so odds are I'd go with a Cruze diesel if available (and presuming I didn't need any roominess advantage the Fusion may have).
    2007 Volvo S60R
    2005 Audi A4 Quattro 2.0T
    1999 BMW 328i Convertible
    1998 Ford Explorer Sport

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Didn't this get a higher combined rating that the Volt? If so, how does this happen when the Volt can go a lot farther on pure electric?

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2002 Dodge Dakota QC 4x4 4.7L

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Didn't this get a higher combined rating that the Volt? If so, how does this happen when the Volt can go a lot farther on pure electric?
    I may be wrong, but isn't it because this still acts like a hybrid even when not on full EV mode, meaning significantly higher MPG's than the Volt's 31 after the pure EV runs out?

(I don't have the figures in front of me, i'm just taking a guess, but I think I'm close).
    Future Rides: Dodge Viper (hopefully someday)
    2009 Pontiac G8 (seriously)

Current Rides: 2002 Dodge Dakota QC 4.7 V8 4x4
    2001 Ford ZX2 (Work commute car)
    2009 Saturn Vue XR

Past Rides: 1992 Buick Century
    1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
    1998 Buick Regal LS
    2003 Buick Regal GS
    2004 Honda Civic EX
    1998 Honda Civic DX

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Chevrolet Volt Blue Topaz

Quote Originally Posted by Al63240 View Post
    I may be wrong, but isn't it because this still acts like a hybrid even when not on full EV mode, meaning significantly higher MPG's than the Volt's 31 after the pure EV runs out?

(I don't have the figures in front of me, i'm just taking a guess, but I think I'm close).
    The Volt gets 98MPGe combined and 37mpg gasoline from the EPA. But keep in mind people often exceed these numbers. With it being winter now my MPGe numbers and MPGcs numbers are taking a tumble. But they will be coming back up in the spring.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/07/2...miles-98-mpge/

I would be interested to see the real world numbers of the Fusion energi. Especially after the large gap in real world numbers from the EPA of the hybrid.
    Last edited by MechEng; 01-17-2013 at 04:06 PM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Cadillac SRX

Sounds pretty good.
    Too bad it can't be trusted to deliver in the real world.
    Or be driven like a real car and stay all electric.
    I got tired of waiting for GM to make a FWD convertible.

2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS Sport Spyder
    2007 Cadillac SRX

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Al63240 View Post

The Volt does act like a hybrid (and gets 37mpg on gas in the EPA cycle), when the battery is depleted. In fact, when in the depleted CS (Charge Sustaining) mode, it often runs on battery only (using energy recovered from deceleration) and the engine usually doesn't run at all below 20mph or so. The greater gas efficiency of the Fusion is probably due to a couple of things: 1) the engine is Atkinson cycle where the Volt's is not; 2) the Fusion's engine directly drives the wheels all the time when it runs, rather than running a generator to power electric motors (and sometimes partially connected directly to the wheels).

As a Volt owner, IMO the Fusion Energi is a legitimate competitor to the Volt. It has some advantages and some disadvantages, and about equal green cred. It costs about the same to slightly cheaper, even after you factor in the Volt's twice-as-much federal tax break. Major things in the Fusion's favor are the more spacious cabin for 5, and it also has some more advanced options available including adaptive cruise control and self-parking. In fact if this plug-in powertrain gets offered in the Lincoln MKZ for 2014, that car will definitely be under consideration to replace my Volt. I doubt the Fusion will be on that list, mainly because I'm just not crazy about the cabin.
    Last edited by yamahr1; 01-17-2013 at 05:22 PM.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member zete's Avatar
    Thanks

The EPA has to give up on this MPGe thing. It makes no sense that a car that has MORE electric range gets a lower MPGe rating. Since Voltec covers 80+% of a driver's daily commute in pure electric mode it should have the higher MPGe. But the EPA does some fancy dance and it comes in below the Fusion. It makes no sense and I have multiple degrees in this odd thing called "mathematics". For I can't comprehend how my daily commute of 50km would use LESS fuel in a Fusion than in a Volt since at the moment my daily commute usually uses NO fuel.

But maybe I'm just not as smart as them gubmint scientists.
    "Christians should not hold dumb opinions about the natural world based solely on misreadings of the Bible, especially opinions that can be demonstrably falsified by Reason, lest the Faith be subject to ridicule and mockery." -- St. Augustine of Hippo.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Tre-Tre's Avatar
    Thanks

We will see if the ratings hold up once the wolves get a hold of Ford and start complaining.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FG Falcon Utility

Ford's plug In hybrids are not competing with Volt, they are two very different and attract different buyers.
    The success or otherwise of the Fords versus the GM Volt are completely independent of each other.

I have every confidence that the electric range of Ford's energi hybrids will hold up to scrutiny just like Volt
    I also believe any city cycle mode or mixed speed test will show hybrid superiority over conventional vehicles

But the elephant in the room that no one at the EPA is addressing is steady state running at highway speed,
    this has to be the worst circumstance for a hybrid where energy conservation is reduced and fuel usage the highest.
    Last edited by jpd80; 01-18-2013 at 12:59 AM.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    Ford's plug In hybrids are not competing with Volt, they are two very different and attract different buyers.
    The success or otherwise of the Fords versus the GM Volt are completely independent of each other.
    So in other words you want Ford to succeed, and care not if the Volt fails or did I misread your posts intent?

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information