2012 Jeep Patriot: Left In The Weeds, But Okay With That

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Jeep Patriot: Left In The Weeds, But Okay With That

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

2012 Jeep Patriot: Left In The Weeds, But Okay With That

2012 Jeep Patriot
    Left In The Weeds, But Okay With That

By Dan Roth
    Posted Dec 19th 2012

Seventy years ago, the Jeep Patriot would have been amazing. In 1941, the year the original Jeep was drawn up, the power windows, air conditioning and automatic transmission in this Patriot Latitude were features only available in cars like Packards.

The Patriot has features and dynamic capabilities unheard of back when the Jeep was an idea, not a brand. Seventy years of progress, perspective and turmoil has a way of turning the formerly amazing into the mundane. Since its introduction, along with its Compass close relation, this Illinois-built crossover has been viewed as the Fauxlex of Jeeps. It's based on the defunct Dodge Caliber, which itself shares the Mitsubishi GS platform, ensuring a complete lack of underlying Jeep DNA. The only link back to Karl Probst and his seminal design is some squared-off styling and the impression that the Patriot was also designed over a marathon weekend, just like that first Bantam proposal.

There have been a couple rounds of updates to the Patriot to address previous foibles including its former horror chamber-like interior, along with moves to banish the traces of econobox from its styling. We wanted to sample these changes and see just how far the Patriot can go on its reserve of charm.

CONTINUE AT AUTOBLOG
    Last edited by nadepalma; 12-27-2012 at 10:23 AM.
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Re: 2012 Jeep Patriot: Left In The Weeds, But Okay With That

Power windows, AC and automatic transmission was available in 1941? Could have fooled me.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC episode26's Avatar
    Thanks

I actually really liked these until this week. My neice was renting one of these earlier this week. The trucklet had fewer than 3000 miles on the odometer and she had to return on christmas eve because it became stuck in park. It had to be towed away.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

I have never driven one, but sat in them at the annual car show, and have always thought them to be nice, decent interior and front seat had nice room....just a little more MPG and I might have considered one a couple of years ago.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2002 Cadillac, 2008 Solstice,

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    Power windows, AC and automatic transmission was available in 1941? Could have fooled me.
    The Hydra Matic was available in Oldsmobile from 1939 and Cadillacs from 1941. Packard did not have an automatic transmission in 1941, notwithstanding the author's comment to the contrary.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    Yup. Packard didn't have an auto at the time, just a semi-auto I believe. But they did have power windows. And back then, A/C came only in enormous, ungainly machinery installed in the trunks of cars. It wasn't until American Motors, thanks to their refrigerator division Kelvinator, designed a unit that could be contained entirely underhood as an engine accessory did A/C take rates become significant.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Arcuri View Post
    The Hydra Matic was available in Oldsmobile from 1939 and Cadillacs from 1941. Packard did not have an automatic transmission in 1941, notwithstanding the author's comment to the contrary.
    Right. The first Packard auto was the Ultramatic, which debuted for 1949. But the Clippers of the '40s did have ventilated seats!
    Peace,

Autoplaybook

Wouldn't You Really Rather Have A Buick?

Thanks

The '07 I drove was complete garbage, as I continue to say years later
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 164k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 90k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455/7.5L, Quadrajet, dual exhaust. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday.

'87 BMW K75. Pichler V1 fairing. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. 3.0L OMC. Restored. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. Twin 327QA's. Basketcase but restoration in progress. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV. 13 hp Honda swap.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Chevrolet Volt Blue Topaz

I've had the Patriot as a Rental. After the refresh it is not a bad vehicle. I'm not a fan of the CVT and the 2.4L engine. If they put in the 9 speed auto and the updated 2.4L Tigershark this could be a very nice vehicle. But it won't likely live long enough to see it. The Patriot and Compass is being replaced next year by a new compact CUV based off of a heavily modified Fiat platform (Similar to the Dart platform if I recall).

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MechEng View Post
    I've had the Patriot as a Rental. After the refresh it is not a bad vehicle. I'm not a fan of the CVT and the 2.4L engine. If they put in the 9 speed auto and the updated 2.4L Tigershark this could be a very nice vehicle. But it won't likely live long enough to see it. The Patriot and Compass is being replaced next year by a new compact CUV based off of a heavily modified Fiat platform (Similar to the Dart platform if I recall).
    I think they decided to keep both now.
    RedSkyBlackDream

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Impala LTZ "Nancy"

They still make these?
    www.basilonestopshop.com
    Basil One-Stop Shop BBM Channel: C00120B93
    Basil One-Stop Shop BBM Customer Service Chat Available

Banned
    Thanks

Well, the Patriot will soldier on for another year or two on the current platform according the rumors at Allpar.
    The latest scuttlebutt is that the Nissan CVT is going to be dropped in favor of the Hyundai six speed automatic,
    due to the high cost of warranty claims associated with the CVT. I'm skeptical that Jeep will invest the effort
    in a dying vehicle, but I guess we'll see.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Charger AWD & 2003 Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by autoplaybook View Post
    It wasn't until American Motors, thanks to their refrigerator division Kelvinator, designed a unit that could be contained entirely underhood as an engine accessory did A/C take rates become significant.
    Nash's Weather Eye and more specifically to what we would call AC, the All Weather Eye systems pre-dated the merger of Nash-Kelvinator with Hudson. So American Motors shouldn't get credited for the system. It was all N-K.
    * Pictured above left is a 1959 Dodge Silver Challenger. 1954 Oldsmobile Rocket F-88.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoZQ8 View Post
    Well, the Patriot will soldier on for another year or two on the current platform according the rumors at Allpar.
    The latest scuttlebutt is that the Nissan CVT is going to be dropped in favor of the Hyundai six speed automatic,
    due to the high cost of warranty claims associated with the CVT. I'm skeptical that Jeep will invest the effort
    in a dying vehicle, but I guess we'll see.
    Plus the "Cherokee" will debut in January. The Patriot (or Compass) will Died before the replacement is shown.

Thanks

I almost considered one of these when I was looking at a small SUV for my wife back in late '08. Almost. The interiors were as cheap as anything out there and the engines were underpowered and rough according to the car magazines. The interiors have been updated but the drivetrains are still very weak. There's a place for a good version of this vehicle on Jeep's showroom floor but until Chrysler gets competitive with its drivetrains, it'll always be an also-ran.
    Buy American. Buy Ford. So say we all!

Thanks

If Chrysler drops in its new 3.2L Pentastar V6 and an updated 2.4L I4 with a new transmission, they might have something here.
    Buy American. Buy Ford. So say we all!

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information