What is a fair price for the Chevy SS? - Page 5

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

View Poll Results: As seen, what should GM charge for the SS?

Voters
311. You may not vote on this poll
  • Under $30K

26 8.36%
  • $30-$35K

75 24.12%
  • $35-$40K

137 44.05%
  • $40-$45K

70 22.51%
  • Over $45K

3 0.96%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What is a fair price for the Chevy SS?

b4z
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Pontiac GTO, 2014 SRX

Re: What is a fair price for the Chevy SS?

They aren't gonna sell 30k a year. No way no how.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    15 Mustang GT/04 GTO/09 G8GT

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    Yup, the SRT8 will be faster than the SS but the SS will likely out handle it every where else.

BTW, a little mods and the GXP is in the middle 12 pretty easy but I believe the fastest stock GXP run was in an A6 at 12.8 @ 109. My G8 GT was a 13.3 car with a CAI and axleback exhaust being the only mods.
    Handling will go to the SS for sure. Bone stock I got a 13.7 with our G8 GT, I can see a 13.3 with CAI and exhaust and a good launch.

Quote Originally Posted by b4z View Post
    They aren't gonna sell 30k a year. No way no how.
    Exactly. So many people in these SS sedan threads have unrealistic expectations on just about everything. Sales numbers, weight, price and so on.

Here are some realistic predictions I believe. If GM comes in under any of these people can be mildly surprised instead of being disappointed when they don't.

PRICE: $42,995 with GG tax $43,990 with destination for a NO option SS sedan

WEIGHT: It is going to weigh the same as the GXP did. 4050 pounds or something in that vicinity. Even with the lighter hood and trunk. All those extra electronics have MASS. Especially wiring. Copper wire adds up. Electronics and gizmos add up. HUD unit adds weight, sensors add weight. Larger rear wheels and tires add weight. Whatever was saved with the aluminum hood and trunk will be made up for these things I mentioned.

SALES NUMBERS: 5 to 7 thousand a year and that might be pushing it. Anything more will be gravy. For the first 6 months sales will be low. October, November, December, January, February and March are NOT the prime months for RWD performance vehicles.

Thinking it will sell in the upper 30's, sell 30K a year and weigh 200 pounds less than a G8 GXP does nothing but set a person up for disappointment.

2015 Mustang GT Premium TY A6
    (2015 Z2RC) Denied by No-Choice Reuss and GM executive dimwits
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT SRM *
    2004 Pontiac GTO IBM/Blue A4 (1 of 369)*
    1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP*
    1976 Chevy El Camino Classic
    *all 3 Pontiacs purchased new and still owned/driven

RIP Pontiac 4/27/09: Cruelly killed by GM and know-nothings.
    Currently Ignoring: LovelyMoon 2002 Caddy autoplaybook guionM megeebee PearlsRider PhishPhood Suziebob t-rex

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

Anyone thinking less than $40K is delusional. I'm predicting $44,995, just a bit under the Charger SRT since it will have a HP deficit compared to it.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 MyImpalaSS's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Impala SS(Black on Black)

Quote Originally Posted by Novak454 View Post
    I agree. Unfortunately, it's nothing more than a Chevy equivalent to a Loaded Charger R/T = $40k. IF they wedge an LSA under the hood, it'll be a step up from a 470hp (although the blown hemi is coming, no?) SRT, so then $50k. That's it. Sorry GM, you're sporting a car and chassis that are over 1/2 a decade old....
    The Charger and the chassis it's on is actually older.
    Current Cars:
    2010 Black Impala SS(my baby)
    2009 Gold Yukon Denali(wife drives it)
    2010 Black Hummer H3 Alpha(for my off-roading pleasure
    )

Future Cars:
    The Caddy Flagship
    C7 Corvette
    ATS 2.0T AWD Black exterior/Red interior(For my twins)

GM 4 LIFE!!!
    Nobody else does it better

6.0 Liter L76 V8 Premium Member CaddyLac10's Avatar
    Thanks

Although I am not impressed by the SS, I am honest enough to say that a base price of 40K - 45K is reasonable. Anyone thinking that it will cost less than the G8 GXP is on drugs, and not good ones. It's going to be at least that much and probably a little more. 35K - 40K just ain't happening. I just wish the SS brought more than bread and butter to the table. There's nothing special about it.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by G8tor View Post
    While I also put $35 to 40K not sure that will happen. The 2009 G8 GXP had a starting MSRP of $37,610 with much less content including a gas greedy 5 speed transmission. If Chevy can pull off a similar price tag with 5 years of inflation, superior content then it should have a winner. If it doesn't move well I would love to see an Impala SS version with the GXP components.
    What 5 speed? It either had the 6 speed manual or 6 speed auto. I have a 6 speed manual. The MSRP was 39k and change. I get 24-25 mpg on the highway and 16-18 around town which is better mileage than I got with my 2005 GTO which didn't have a GG tax. Go figure. This car is basically a GXP with more content on the inside.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 519 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by mc91 View Post
    THE SS IS NOT A DODGE CHARGER!!!!!!

It will be better then a charger RT in every way (performance wise) and could possibly out perform the srt8 in certain ways.

Both chargers offer many more features/creature comforts then the SS.

The SS is not a charger. It is a different car that will not be mass produced. The smart price point would be 40k (+/-2k).

I have no doubt that it will sell out at any price point under 45k. For such a low production vehicle I doubt anything under 35k will happen.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
    Just because it is a limited edition in the USA doesn't mean it should be more $$ than the Dodge equivalents. It needs to offer something more than them to command a higher price. Otherwise, except for the engine and a few mods, the SS is also a mass produced vehicle in other parts of the world.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion V6
    Don't get me wrong, the SS is dynamically a better car than anuthing at ChryCo.

However, it is more powerful than an R/T and 300C, less powerful than the SRT8's, and will likely cost more than both.

Will the SS sell out? Yes, but only because they are bringing only a handful. This car is a giant middle finger to anyone who was awaiting for an affordable Chevy sport sedan.

Jo Momma

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 GTO, 2013 VOLT

It does not matter if I like it or what it cost, it is out of my price range. The big question is, is some one else willing to pluck down 45k for a chevy sedan( SS or not), if they could buy a BMW 3 series, entry MB or other entry level LUX car for the same or less, and get the status of that, rather than a chevy.
    Goldman Sachs , AIG , Wells Fargo, Berkshire Hathaway , UAW, & SEIU.......Todays organized crime mobs

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion V6
    $45k can buy you:
    Any SRT8
    Cadillac ATS Premium
    Pretty much everything in the compact exec class.
    Nicely loades Taurus SHO.
    2 used G8 GT's (ill take one)

Jo Momma

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Eulentier View Post
    The 04-06 GTO was about $33k IIRC, this should be priced in that same range. This isn't an SRT8 equivalent either. It's short about 60 HP. I don't agree with leather being standard, some people don't want it. Charge extra for the leather package and start the car at $33,990.
    Its not 2004 anymore. You can wish all you want, but the car is going to be pricey. Do not be surprised if it ends up between $45-50 with the gas guzzler and destination.

Reading threads like this makes for good entertainment.
    The resident "girl"

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrDenali View Post
    $45k can buy you:
    Any SRT8
    Cadillac ATS Premium
    Pretty much everything in the compact exec class.
    Nicely loades Taurus SHO.
    2 used G8 GT's (ill take one)

Jo Momma
    To some of those there are some strong counters...

To the ATS premium you get more space and a V-8 engine (with 415BHP)
    To the SHO you get a more prem. chassis with RWD and a 415BHP V-8 engine
    To the two G8s you get a brand new car that is up a few notches in every way (BTW you would compare the SS to the G8 GXP).

The only real counter would be the SRT8 Challenger.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Tre-Tre's Avatar
    Thanks

Who knows I guess GM will find out soon enough. But I will tell you one thing the Canadian pricing on this is going to shock people, just given GM Canada's history.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by Eulentier View Post
    The 04-06 GTO was about $33k IIRC, this should be priced in that same range. This isn't an SRT8 equivalent either. It's short about 60 HP. I don't agree with leather being standard, some people don't want it. Charge extra for the leather package and start the car at $33,990.
    Except the GTO doesnt have 1/4 the stuff STANDARD that the SS does. That adds up.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 63GrandSport001 View Post
    How much demand do you honestly think there is for a $40,000 V-8 powered 4 door sedan?. I honestly do not see them selling 30,000 units a year at the price in the US, you would have to start off in the $30,000 price bracket.
    Certainly not 30,000 units priced at 40,000 USD or more, but that's not what I'm saying either; there seems to be great misunderstanding as if I'm saying at 40K+ GM could sell 30,000. Absolutely not.

If they're saying they're able to move up to 40,000 a year, then more variety at multiple price points from the mid-30s on up could get them closer to that figure. Would they sell 40,000 of them if they were 35-45K depending on equipment? Probably not at that point either; a V-6 version would need to be offered and selling more at the 30-45K range.

I'm very aware of the business case here. There's a reason it's coming in limited form, loaded up. It's supposed to be a niche seller. I'm simply advocating for it to be closer to a volume seller. To be clear, my discussion on the price and equipment is what I'd have liked to have seen, not what I think GM will sell it for. I'm sure it will be in the 40K+ bracket, which isn't ridiculous for its price and standard equipment levels.

Quote Originally Posted by 63GrandSport001 View Post
    I am tired of this notion that GM or any car maker should make a solid vehicle platform into **** just so that more people can buy it.
    The car is already going to be available in its home country much more stripped down with lesser engines, so no one is asking for GM to take the VF down somewhere it isn't supposed to be.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information