What is a fair price for the Chevy SS? - Page 2

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     

View Poll Results: As seen, what should GM charge for the SS?

Voters
311. You may not vote on this poll
  • Under $30K

    26 8.36%
  • $30-$35K

    75 24.12%
  • $35-$40K

    137 44.05%
  • $40-$45K

    70 22.51%
  • Over $45K

    3 0.96%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 151

Thread: What is a fair price for the Chevy SS?

  1. #16
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Orbit Orange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    3,448
    Thanks
    91
    Thanked 73 Times in 43 Posts
    My Ride
    04 GTO 09 G8GT & 15 MustangGT?

    Re: What is a fair price for the Chevy SS?

    Quote Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
    I guess that GM needs to define this car's competition. Is it the Charger R/T or SRT8?
    Good point. After thinking this out it actually splits the difference. Charger RT 370 HP, SS sedan 415 HP, SRT8 470 HP

    BUT ... it will be priced closer to SRT8 if not right along with it. Which will make it NOT a performance bargain at all. GM is going to have a hard time deciding what to do with pricing. Price it lower (as it should) please the customer and take a razor thin profit or possibly a small loss ... OR ... Price it around 42-44K closer to SRT8, displease the customer and MEDIA to make a decent profit but at the same time possibly make less sales. They are in a corner on this one. And with Gilles and Chrysler announcing the Core SRT8 lineup it squeezes GM on the pricing even more.

    (2015 Z2RC) Denied by No-Choice Reuss and GM executive dimwits
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT SRM *
    2004 Pontiac GTO IBM/Blue A4 (1 of 369)*
    1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP*
    1976 Chevy El Camino Classic
    *all 3 Pontiacs purchased new and still owned/driven

    RIP Pontiac 4/27/09: Cruelly killed by GM and know-nothings.
    Currently Ignoring: LovelyMoon 2002 Caddy autoplaybook guionM megeebee PearlsRider PhishPhood Suziebob t-rex

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,985
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 40 Times in 25 Posts

    Re: What is a fair price for the Chevy SS?

    Quote Originally Posted by Elvisuperman View Post
    $35k-$40k (USD) would be reasonable... Much more than that and sales will be a disaster.
    What would you consider good sales for the SS sedan, they probably are only going to ship about 1,000 units a month to the states.

  4. #18
    GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    6,858
    Thanks
    94
    Thanked 452 Times in 234 Posts

    Re: What is a fair price for the Chevy SS?

    Quote Originally Posted by Orbit Orange View Post
    Good point. After thinking this out it actually splits the difference. Charger RT 370 HP, SS sedan 415 HP, SRT8 470 HP

    BUT ... it will be priced closer to SRT8 if not right along with it. Which will make it NOT a performance bargain at all. GM is going to have a hard time deciding what to do with pricing. Price it lower (as it should) please the customer and take a razor thin profit or possibly a small loss ... OR ... Price it around 42-44K closer to SRT8, displease the customer and MEDIA to make a decent profit but at the same time possibly make less sales. They are in a corner on this one. And with Gilles and Chrysler announcing the Core SRT8 lineup it squeezes GM on the pricing even more.

    For anyone who hasn't driven an SRT8, it is a big bruiser of a large, powerful, muscle car. I'd doubt that the (GM didn't bother to give it a name)-SS's 415 hp, could keep up with it. Of course, if it were available with a 6 speed manual, now that's a whole different ball game. Not that it would be that much faster, but it would be that much more desirable. That my friend, is what gets people to part with their money.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

  5. #19
    Firebird Concept (the turbine one) bballr4567's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Evansville, IN
    Posts
    11,054
    Thanks
    242
    Thanked 282 Times in 170 Posts
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

    Re: What is a fair price for the Chevy SS?

    It'll be in the $40-45k range. The amount of standard safety stuff quickly pushes the price up high. Know how I know? Almost all of it is on our Flex minus HUD and lane departure.

  6. #20
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,985
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 40 Times in 25 Posts

    Re: What is a fair price for the Chevy SS?

    GM shouldn't market this directly at the SRT8 or Charger R/T, they should market this as a refined sedan that is very capable at cornering. I feel that "muscle car" is just flat out the wrong image for this car and especially at that price point. A muscle car when they came into existence was a medium size (which is bigger then current large cars) low priced vehicle with a really big engine. True muscle cars can no longer exist purely based on the fact that customers expect a car that can stop and turn things that muscle cars were never really good at. So really we all need to stop trying to chase muscle cars as with the current market conditions they simply can no longer exist.

    Let alone to consider the Dodge Charger SRT8 as a muscle car with it's $44,000 price tag and all of the creature comforts really doesn't fit the bill. Take a bare bones Charger and drop in it the 6.4L Hemi V-8 then you would have your muscle car (or as close to it as you are going to get in the Charger).

    There are simply some realities that we have to consider when importing a car from Australia to the United States. Currency exchange rates do not favor this move, as a result any product that they ship currently only makes sense on the higher end niche market (low volume and high prices). As a result we are likely going to see the SS sedan very well appointed in base trim with probably few options and at a high price. Bringing over the V6 model and charging lets say $25,000 even with no options might not be profitable or worth it. The only way that you will see the Commodore in the US fully with all trims would be with North American production.

  7. #21
    News Contributor Premium Member V8GMT360 Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Posts
    3,045
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    My Ride
    08 Sierra A/T, 09 Envoy Denali

    Re: What is a fair price for the Chevy SS?

    I voted $35-40K based on the feature content, but at the same time, who wants to pay that much for a blandly styled car that doesn't even have a name?
    Proud owner of two elegant/classy GMCs:

    2008 GMC Sierra "All Terrain" Crew Cab 5.3L/FFV - Stealth Gray Metallic/Ebony
    2009 GMC Envoy Denali 5.3L - Switchblade Silver/Ebony

    Future owner of another classy GMC Sierra "All Terrain"

  8. #22
    GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    6,858
    Thanks
    94
    Thanked 452 Times in 234 Posts

    Re: What is a fair price for the Chevy SS?

    Quote Originally Posted by 63GrandSport001 View Post
    GM shouldn't market this directly at the SRT8 or Charger R/T, they should market this as a refined sedan that is very capable at cornering. I feel that "muscle car" is just flat out the wrong image for this car and especially at that price point. A muscle car when they came into existence was a medium size (which is bigger then current large cars) low priced vehicle with a really big engine. True muscle cars can no longer exist purely based on the fact that customers expect a car that can stop and turn things that muscle cars were never really good at. So really we all need to stop trying to chase muscle cars as with the current market conditions they simply can no longer exist.

    Let alone to consider the Dodge Charger SRT8 as a muscle car with it's $44,000 price tag and all of the creature comforts really doesn't fit the bill. Take a bare bones Charger and drop in it the 6.4L Hemi V-8 then you would have your muscle car (or as close to it as you are going to get in the Charger).

    There are simply some realities that we have to consider when importing a car from Australia to the United States. Currency exchange rates do not favor this move, as a result any product that they ship currently only makes sense on the higher end niche market (low volume and high prices). As a result we are likely going to see the SS sedan very well appointed in base trim with probably few options and at a high price. Bringing over the V6 model and charging lets say $25,000 even with no options might not be profitable or worth it. The only way that you will see the Commodore in the US fully with all trims would be with North American production.

    I'm sure that GM will try to position it in such a way. I mean, they've been telling us it's the "Four Door Corvette" for years now.

    I also agree that this importing from Australia business can be dicey. Maybe that's why GM didn't want to commit to using one of it's traditional Chevy brand names on this car.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

  9. #23
    4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Jacksonville Fl.
    Posts
    1,674
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 18 Times in 11 Posts

    Re: What is a fair price for the Chevy SS?

    They need to charge no more then a non SRT Charger/300 Hemi V8 model would go for! Charging as much as the 470HP SRT model would be an EPIC mistake! I wish they had called this model the Chevelle and offered the V6 model with the V8 as an SS and with an SS 427 version using the LS7 for the top to compete with and BEAT the Charger at its own game! SS is a strange thing to name an entire model when it should be a variant of that model! What were they thinking?---It will still be a nice car though even with this uneven and convoluted naming scheme!

  10. #24
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC pic18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    RI
    Posts
    346
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Re: What is a fair price for the Chevy SS?

    40-45 I think is fair. Any more than that is hard for me to justify. I really want this car, but a charger rt is far more the bargain, and an srt8 is a superior car IMO. If this car is close to $50k Id have to wait for a nice use one.

    In the garage:
    2009 G8 GT
    1997 Firebird
    In the driveway:
    2013 Wrangler Unlimited
    2013 RAM 1500

  11. #25
    4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,957
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 49 Times in 33 Posts

    Re: What is a fair price for the Chevy SS?

    Quote Originally Posted by Elvisuperman View Post
    $35k-$40k (USD) would be reasonable... Much more than that and sales will be a disaster.
    Totally agree. If it's available in Canada, it should be priced the same or it will also be a sales disaster here.
    1966 Corvair Corsa

  12. #26
    6.0 Liter L76 V8 Evo69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,336
    Thanks
    263
    Thanked 38 Times in 22 Posts

    Re: What is a fair price for the Chevy SS?

    I posted what GM WILL charge... $40,000-$45,000. It would be a pleasant surprise if it goes for less than that.
    http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com
    I find it sad that some people wish for GM to fail and can't comprehend any good news. A plausible explanation for this kind of behavior is that you have a miserable life so you wish the same to others. Cory Pham, Autoblog Poster

    GM must return its divisions to being interdependent entities within the corporation. Decentralize and free the different divisions talents to foster brand differentiation and customer loyalty.

  13. #27
    3.0 Liter SIDI V6 Cajun G8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    606
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 53 Times in 31 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LTZ

    Re: What is a fair price for the Chevy SS?

    I would LIKE it to be $35k-$40k. I am EXPECTING it to be $40-$45k.
    Current: 2014 Chevrolet Sonic LTZ sedan
    Former: 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LTZ
    Former: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT (still kicking myself for selling it)

  14. #28
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hitman1970's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    7,265
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked 16 Times in 11 Posts
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo PG1 Cr Red Tc

    Re: What is a fair price for the Chevy SS?

    I voted $40K to $45K though I expect a $39,995 starting price. It is a whole $5 difference you know.
    Current: 12 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere with sunroof) and 09 Saturn Outlook XR

    Previous: 09 Pontiac G8 GT (09-12), 06 Buick LaCrosse CXS (06-09), 05 Ford Freestyle SEL (05-09) 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (01-06), 00 VW Jetta (00-05), 85 Mercedes 350 SEL (99-01), 84 BMW 316 (98-99), 90 Mitsubishi Mirage(91-98), 79 Chrysler LeBaron (88-90), 73 Dodge Dart Swinger (87-88).

  15. #29
    4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar prototype66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Grand Ledge MI.
    Posts
    2,586
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Re: What is a fair price for the Chevy SS?

    I have no problem paying mid to high $30 for a Caprice....none at all.

  16. #30
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6 Elvisuperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,024
    Thanks
    356
    Thanked 141 Times in 48 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet Silverado Z71

    Re: What is a fair price for the Chevy SS?

    Quote Originally Posted by 63GrandSport001 View Post
    What would you consider good sales for the SS sedan, they probably are only going to ship about 1,000 units a month to the states.
    Good sales would be what they're expecting, a sales disaster would be anything less!
    CHEVROLET SILVERADO


  17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2