What is a fair price for the Chevy SS?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

View Poll Results: As seen, what should GM charge for the SS?

Voters
311. You may not vote on this poll
  • Under $30K

26 8.36%
  • $30-$35K

75 24.12%
  • $35-$40K

137 44.05%
  • $40-$45K

70 22.51%
  • Over $45K

3 0.96%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is a fair price for the Chevy SS?

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks

What is a fair price for the Chevy SS?

As seen, what do we think Chevy should charge for the (blank) SS? I think if it's priced right, a lot of people may look at it more favorably.
    Last edited by Z284ever; 02-17-2013 at 10:35 AM.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: What is a fair price for the Chevy SS?

I think $35K - $40K would be a good range, but it will probably be $5K more than that.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

I think it should mirror the V8 prices of the Dodge Charger. Or is it an SRT Charger now. Or wait is it a Ram Charger?

I'm not seeing anything offered in the SS that is way above the Charger, though I'll wait until there are comparisons. So Chevy can't use" limited edition" to justify a higher price just because its from the land of Oz.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bmwboy2007 View Post
    I think $35K - $40K would be a good range, but it will probably be $5K more than that.
    Final pricing is pretty much the very last thing to be determined. If GM has gotten a snoot full of the (no name) SS internet reaction, they will proceed accordingly.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet Silverado Z71

$35k-$40k (USD) would be reasonable... Much more than that and sales will be a disaster.
    CHEVROLET SILVERADO

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

If it was made in the USA and mass produced, about $25k.. imported from Australia in low numbers, whatever the market can bear

Thanks
    My Ride
    04 GTO 09 G8GT & 15 MustangGT?

What they will charge and what they SHOULD charge are two different things.

It SHOULD be in the high $30's 37-39K

It WILL be in the low $40's 42-44K

Get ready for disappointment round two when pricing is announced in 3 to 4 months and base MSRP is $42,995 with GG tax and before destination. Serious buyers need to prepare themselves for sticker shock. G8 GXP was $39,995 with NO options back in 2009, this will NOT undercut that unless GM wants to lose money on each sale.

I see a lot of votes for the 35-40 range. This is setting up to be a sales disappointment to those people that think such. There is NO way this will be one thin dime under $40K.
    Last edited by Orbit Orange; 02-17-2013 at 10:59 AM.

2015 Mustang GT TY A6 (ON ORDER!)
    (2015 Z2RC) Denied by No-Choice Reuss and GM executive dimwits
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT SRM *
    2004 Pontiac GTO IBM/Blue A4 (1 of 369)*
    1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP*
    1976 Chevy El Camino Classic
    *all 3 Pontiacs purchased new and still owned/driven

RIP Pontiac 4/27/09: Cruelly killed by GM and know-nothings.
    Currently Ignoring: Neanderthal LovelyMoon 2002 Caddy autoplaybook guionM megeebee PearlsRider PhishPhood Suziebob t-rex

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

While I also put $35 to 40K not sure that will happen. The 2009 G8 GXP had a starting MSRP of $37,610 with much less content including a gas greedy 5 speed transmission. If Chevy can pull off a similar price tag with 5 years of inflation, superior content then it should have a winner. If it doesn't move well I would love to see an Impala SS version with the GXP components.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HermPerez View Post
    If it was made in the USA and mass produced, about $25k.. imported from Australia in low numbers, whatever the market can bear
    I seriously doubt an SS regardless of where it was made and at what volume would hit $25K. Chevy has fully loaded Cruze LTZs that have a higher retail so arguing SS could be produced and sold at the same price isn't reasonable.

Thanks

I guess that GM needs to define this car's competition. Is it the Charger R/T or SRT8?

Thanks

^^ agree with the above. Ideal would be $35-40k, but I'm fully expecting sticker to be $40-45k because GM likely thinks this is a SRT8 competitor. And because of the previous GXP pricing. Sigh.
    Current Cars:
    2014 Cadillac CTS Vsport Premium
    1994 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Past Cars:
    1974 Chevrolet Monte Carlo, 1984 Chevrolet Impala, 1998 Pontiac Grand Am, 2000 Chevrolet Camaro, 2007 BMW 335i

Walking
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2009 silverado

Aussie buddy sent me this, not sure where he got it from:

Australians look set to pay at least $10,000 more for the Holden VF Commodore SS than Americans.
    The VF Commodore is produced in Australia and shipped to the United States where it will be sold as the Chevrolet SS from late 2013.
    Although official pricing will remain a secret until the Chevrolet SS goes on sale in the final quarter of 2013, Chevrolet chief engineer David Leone has suggested it will start as low as the mid-$40,000 range.
    Asked if the Chevrolet SS would fit between the pricing of the Chevrolet Camaro SS and Chevrolet Corvette Stingray, Leone indicated that was likely.

“You’re in the right neighbourhood,” he said when asked about a mid $40,000 price tag.
    The new VF Commodore SS-V is similar in specification to the upcoming US-spec Chevrolet SS, but it gets the bigger, more powerful 6.2-litre engine from the HSV ClubSport that sells for $66,990 drive-away.
    In Australia a current Commodore SS-V costs $55,290 plus on-road costs; Holden has hinted that prices of some VF Commodore variants will increase slightly - but not much.
    Despite the apparent price gouging Holden says that it will still make a profit on the 5000-odd cars it plans to sell there each year.
    "We wouldn't do it if there wasn't a business case for it," says spokesman Craig Cheetham.
    Australians already pay significantly more for cars than many developed countries, especially high performance and luxury models.
    Holden has been vocal about the difficulties of exporting cars in an era of record high Australian dollar. Holden has partly used the strength of the currency as justification for recent job cuts and slowing sales.
    Holden last year secured $275 million in government funding in return for a commitment to at least $1 billion in investment in local manufacturing until at least 2022.
    The new VF Commodore is a crucial car for Holden and is hoped to arrest the dramatic slide in large car sales that has been happening for more than a decade.
    Holden's Cheetham wouldn’t comment on the expected price difference between the VF Commodore and the Chevrolet SS.
    “No pricing has been confirmed for either the VF Commodore or the [Chevrolet] SS,” he told Drive.
    It’s not the first time American buyers have paid significantly less than Australians for imported Australian cars. The original Pontiac G8 was up to $10,000 cheaper than the equivalent Commodore when it went on sale in 2008.

Thanks
    My Ride
    04 GTO 09 G8GT & 15 MustangGT?

Quote Originally Posted by G8tor View Post
    While I also put $35 to 40K not sure that will happen. The 2009 G8 GXP had a starting MSRP of $37,610 with much less content including a gas greedy 5 speed transmission. If Chevy can pull off a similar price tag with 5 years of inflation, superior content then it should have a winner. If it doesn't move well I would love to see an Impala SS version with the GXP components.
    $37,610 PLUS $1700 Gas Guzzler tax (which everyone pays and which this will have as well) PLUS $685 destination (which EVERYONE pays, and which will be closer to 900 or 1000 dollars now) = $39,995.

G8 GXP was $39,995 sticker

2015 Mustang GT TY A6 (ON ORDER!)
    (2015 Z2RC) Denied by No-Choice Reuss and GM executive dimwits
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT SRM *
    2004 Pontiac GTO IBM/Blue A4 (1 of 369)*
    1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP*
    1976 Chevy El Camino Classic
    *all 3 Pontiacs purchased new and still owned/driven

RIP Pontiac 4/27/09: Cruelly killed by GM and know-nothings.
    Currently Ignoring: Neanderthal LovelyMoon 2002 Caddy autoplaybook guionM megeebee PearlsRider PhishPhood Suziebob t-rex

Thanks

If they are going to be as limited as they say, they'll sell every one of them with no problem. There is no way the SS will undercut the old GXP's price, so expect the MSRP to be in the $40-45k range, with dealers charging even more...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
    I guess that GM needs to define this car's competition. Is it the Charger R/T or SRT8?
    Likely closer to an SRT8....but I agree, there needs to be a metric on the cars value proposition

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information