GM Inside News Forum banner

Should Chevy import the Ute? No, not that one, this one........

21K views 154 replies 65 participants last post by  F14CRAZY 
#1 · (Edited)
The South American market Chevy Montana. Roughly based on the Gamma architecture and with a base price of $12K. Nicely loaded for $17K. GM would probably need to up the ante from the 1.4L and 1.8L I4s it currently offers. A 1.6T or normally aspirated 2.5 with 6 speed manual and nicely tuned suspension might make this a fun, affordable piece.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Not this one, the other one. ;)

We keep hearing the margins are razor thin on bringing Zeta vehicles here. I would think on this it would be nonexistent or cost GM for every one sold in that price range.

Personally the only way I'd consider this thing was if it were offered with AWD and had a 270 HP turbo I4 hooked up to it.

#33 ·
Personally the only way I'd consider this thing was if it were offered with AWD and had a 270 HP turbo I4 hooked up to it.
I don't see AWD or the turbo 4 in the Montana. If they did, it would be the new Syclone.

I wonder about the Opel south Africa as I believe south Africa has a free trade agreement with the USA

http://www.chevrolet.co.za/cars/utility/model-overview.html
chevy south Africa "MINI site" for the UTE
You missed the web address by just a little bit. :D http://www.chevrolet.co.za/cars/lumina_ute/model-overview.html

A Holden Ute-based El Camino would be a MUCH better idea than this warmed-over relic.
I'm still up for that idea.

I said bring them both of them: the Gamma based Montana and the Zeta Ute!:D
I'm up for this idea even more.

Also, this is another classic news feed abuse by Z284ever with literally two lines of "commentary".

*flees*
Heed caution. Remember the classic song, "I fought the law & the law won".

I'd say it should be able to carry around 1000 lbs, get more than 30 mpg on the highway and base at $15,000 before options.
The Montana (AKA: Tornado in some countries) already meets these goals.

There is a need for a small pickup in developed countries, plus as time goes on fuel consumption will be even more important. When this vehicle is ready for developed countries, then it might work.
I think that as long as it works & passes all hurdles for sale in the US, GM can't really lose on this. Plus, if it becomes a big enough of a hit, the next generation could be better & would benefit from the newest technological advances.

#151 ·
Let's not forget how well cheap pick-ups did in the '70s and '80s when they were the cheapest thing on the road. I know a guy who still has his Chevy LUV, dumb name and all (don't worry, it's not his primary vehicle).

Could history repeat itself? I'd give that a qualified "maybe".

#4 ·
Keep in mind that, not only is the new Colorado butt ugly in a designed for Southeast Asia sort of way, but it's also going to be pretty big.

#26 ·
This was designed by GM do Brasil? Same people as new Colorado. Colorado was a global team including from GM NA, so the Equinox face is deliberate for the Pan-American market.

Cute little lugger, if utilitarian enough could carve out a niche but I think Ausrutherford is right: it isn't a Gamma product. That doesn't mean it is no good - you would imagine if it's designed for South America, it's basic but tough and longwearing. It will also probably take just about any fuel with a smattering of petroleum product in it. Low-risk for GM to try, but it might be a few generations behind for general dynamics and refinement. Not to mention equipment levels.

I wouldn't see it impinging on a Zeta Ute, which would sell for roughly double the scratch, and the main reason for which is that it's a RWD 2-door V8 sportscar with an enormous trunk. Nor Colorado (which BTW is selling very nicely here) and is basically an even higher-capability machine in terms of carting stuff.

#5 ·
NO.

This Chevrolet Montana is based on the GM4200 platform. That platform debuted under the Vauxhall Nova and Opel Corsa in 1983. The same year Ford launched the Ranger.

If Chevy did import it to the US, it'd fail our crash tests spectacularly. A Holden Ute-based El Camino would be a MUCH better idea than this warmed-over relic.

#6 ·
The green one at the top is a new architecture. Based off of the current Gamma and developed be GM do Brasil. They call it the Viva platform.

#9 ·
I don't comment much here, but on this, there needs to be a choir singing the same song. There is only one UTE, and its not made in South America, its made in Australia. Bring in the Holden version, and let South America keep thinking they have one too with whatever that thing is!

#10 ·
I would consider it priced like a sonic or Cruze and the 1.4T would work the 1.6T would be FUN assuming the chassis is up to the task
I could see MCE'ing it to look like a sonic ute as the dash is not Mylink friendly right now
the Zeta ute would never be an affordable car for younger buyers and the economy of a "full size" truck turns some younger buyers off
I wonder where they could build it as tooling up an American plant seams cost prohibitive as the sales volume is VERY low unless the Sonic plant is flex with 30-40K volume "space"
I wonder about the Opel south Africa as I believe south Africa has a free trade agreement with the USA

http://www.chevrolet.co.za/cars/utility/model-overview.html
chevy south Africa "MINI site" for the UTE

#11 ·
It's assembled on Argentina. I also think that you bring up a very good point. There is a big difference between importing a Holden Ute and selling it for ~$40K and importing something like this and selling it for mid teens.

#12 ·
With this crap economy, I wouldnt be surprised if it got a following.

#42 ·
+1 Some expect Greece to leave the Eurozone in 2013 and Spain in 2014-15. Although these events are expected to only cause temporary dips in the financial markets of 10%-20% on the Greek exit then 50% on the Spanish exit. Temporary or not, all the doom-and-gloom comments in the popular media from these events may very well keep economies going at a modest pace (maybe until 2018).

#17 ·
I may be wrong, and someone correct me if I am, but I believe all new programs from GM are able to meet global certification.

#19 ·
as a "lifestyle" choice to compete against the Sonic VS in the 80's they where sold against the similar priced Ranger and Nissans and LOST
where as a Colorado/ Nissan are NOT 20K nicely equipped and are almost "full size" and not good on petrol compared to a car that almost gets Cruze FE not to mention CAFE "credits" towards large and in efficient Pick ups that are GM's "bread winner"
and FIAT has one that was rumoured to be a "RAM" in America possibly a DAKOTA replacement

#21 ·
Look, that's where commentaries go. Stop bitching about it already, I've heard you the first 10 times. If you don't like it, open another thread.

#22 ·
I actually kind of like it. But, whether or not there was a business case would boil down to price, fuel economy and capacity. If this could get much better real world fuel economy than other, larger pickups, have a payload/bed that usable for 'consumer' hauling duties (e.g. the run to the dump, picking up supplies at the Home Depot, carrying 'toys' like dirt bikes) and could be had for the teens, I think you might have something.

I'd say it should be able to carry around 1000 lbs, get more than 30 mpg on the highway and base at $15,000 before options.

#24 ·
This would work in Mexico and Central America, but not U.S. and Canada. I will say they should put this on ice and consider it for its next life cycle.

There is a need for a small pickup in developed countries, plus as time goes on fuel consumption will be even more important. When this vehicle is ready for developed countries, then it might work.

#25 ·
I can see and appreciate how the US could use a vehicle like this HOWEVER S. America does not have the Silverado or Sierra only the S10/Colorado so the Montana only appeals to the S. Americans who do need a bed but do not need or can afford a S10.

Here the Montana would just take sales away from the upcoming Colorado. I hope it gets the new 4.3. If so depending on how it looks and it's stance it will be my next truck

#29 ·
1. Would it meet our certifications? And at what cost?
2. I say, "Hello, return of the S-10 pickup". Nice 'n cheap, small, and gets the job done.

If the certification / import costs are reasonable, why not? (Other than the costs to train for repairs and stocking parts for a whole new vehicle, and competition against the new Colorado coming in 1 year)....

#51 · (Edited)
Actually, I wish GM would do a new version of the S10. Those trucks sold like crazy for a VERY long time, with not a whole lot of investment. They were also fairly cool.

#30 ·
Big question would GM be able to offer what amounts to a 2 seater light utility truck because even if you put a middle seat belt hard to see this carrying 3 passengers. If the answer is no then there will be pressure to add jump seats maybe a crew cab and suddenly you have Colorado/Canyon competitor so not sure. If it is an MPG issue it would make more sense to add eAssist to the new Colorado/Canyon than offering a smaller model with less utility just to get CAFE numbers up.

#31 ·
Ugly as sin. No thanks!

And yeah, I realize the new Colorado is ugly too, but they're probably banking on still pushing the Silverado.

#32 ·

SLOW NEWS DAY?

Is GM seriously considering this, or did you just want to stir-the-pot?

#35 ·
Well, if you have to mention what platform it is built on, that means it is a horrible product.

I've learned that Government Motors sycophants are more impressed that they can remember the platform name a vehicle is built on than they are about the actual product. At Ford, we expect world class products so what platform something is built on is really not important.

Bring it over - it won't sell any worse than the garbage at Chevrolet these days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.