Should Chevy import the Ute? No, not that one, this one........ - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Chevy import the Ute? No, not that one, this one........

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: Should Chevy import the Ute? No, not that one, this one........

Could it even be certified for US sale? Cost would probably go up...fair question already asked is whether brand image is of any concern to management.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by inov8r View Post
    Could it even be certified for US sale? Cost would probably go up...fair question already asked is whether brand image is of any concern to management.
    I may be wrong, and someone correct me if I am, but I believe all new programs from GM are able to meet global certification.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Pontiac G6X Coupe

There are so many funky cars out there these days that this Ute would fit in nicely ... a dozen years ago probably not..
    ROUTE 20 MODEL SHOP
    509 MAIN ST STURBRIDGE MA
    OPEN EVERY WEEKEND 12-5PM
    http://WWW.ROUTE20MODELSHOP.COM

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 AVALANCHE

Quote Originally Posted by ejfx View Post
    There are so many funky cars out there these days that this Ute would fit in nicely ... a dozen years ago probably not..
    as a "lifestyle" choice to compete against the Sonic VS in the 80's they where sold against the similar priced Ranger and Nissans and LOST
    where as a Colorado/ Nissan are NOT 20K nicely equipped and are almost "full size" and not good on petrol compared to a car that almost gets Cruze FE not to mention CAFE "credits" towards large and in efficient Pick ups that are GM's "bread winner"
    and FIAT has one that was rumoured to be a "RAM" in America possibly a DAKOTA replacement

Thanks

Also, this is another classic news feed abuse by Z284ever with literally two lines of "commentary".

*flees*

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by All Star View Post
    Also, this is another classic news feed abuse by Z284ever with literally two lines of "commentary".

*flees*
    Look, that's where commentaries go. Stop bitching about it already, I've heard you the first 10 times. If you don't like it, open another thread.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

I actually kind of like it. But, whether or not there was a business case would boil down to price, fuel economy and capacity. If this could get much better real world fuel economy than other, larger pickups, have a payload/bed that usable for 'consumer' hauling duties (e.g. the run to the dump, picking up supplies at the Home Depot, carrying 'toys' like dirt bikes) and could be had for the teens, I think you might have something.

I'd say it should be able to carry around 1000 lbs, get more than 30 mpg on the highway and base at $15,000 before options.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    I actually kind of like it. But, whether or not there was a business case would boil down to price, fuel economy and capacity. If this could get much better real world fuel economy than other, larger pickups, have a payload/bed that usable for 'consumer' hauling duties (e.g. the run to the dump, picking up supplies at the Home Depot, carrying 'toys' like dirt bikes) and could be had for the teens, I think you might have something.

I'd say it should be able to carry around 1000 lbs, get more than 30 mpg on the highway and base at $15,000 before options.
    Yep, I think it's payload is like 1,100 pounds.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar GM-Joe's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Pontiac Grand Prix base

This would work in Mexico and Central America, but not U.S. and Canada. I will say they should put this on ice and consider it for its next life cycle.

There is a need for a small pickup in developed countries, plus as time goes on fuel consumption will be even more important. When this vehicle is ready for developed countries, then it might work.
    Current:
    2007 Pontiac Grand Prix (100k+ mi.)
    Sold to Dad:
    1997 Saab 900 2.0 Turbo(150k+ mi.) for $1000 and agreed to help replace the transmission and clutch, now 200k+ mi.
    Retired:
    1987 Chevrolet Silverado 10 (retired 11/12/2007; 219,986 mi.)
    Dead:
    1983 Datsun 280 ZX by Nissan (146,857 mi.)
    1986 Lincoln Mercury Lynx (64K mi.)
    1979 Chrysler Cordoba w/ Corinthian Leather seats (130K mi.)
    1976 Dodge Charger (130K mi.)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2002 GMC HighRider ZR2

I can see and appreciate how the US could use a vehicle like this HOWEVER S. America does not have the Silverado or Sierra only the S10/Colorado so the Montana only appeals to the S. Americans who do need a bed but do not need or can afford a S10.

Here the Montana would just take sales away from the upcoming Colorado. I hope it gets the new 4.3. If so depending on how it looks and it's stance it will be my next truck
    You can tell that GM really cared about the ATS from day one. If GM cared about all its vehicles that way they would truely be #1.

Past ride: 1996 Reg. Cab S10: LS1 swap, headers, painless wiring, T56 manual, with a built 10 bolt, disc brakes, locker, lowered 3 inches--SOLD TO HELP BUY HOUSE

Current ride: 02 GMC HighRider Zr2: Line-X'd rockers, lifted,33's, winch,manual NP231, & alot more. SOON TO BE SAS w/ D44's on 35's with a 5.3

GMI Staff Writer Premium Member BBDOS CV8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Holden Monaro (Barbados)

Quote Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
    Keep in mind that, not only is the new Colorado butt ugly in a designed for Southeast Asia sort of way, but it's also going to be pretty big.
    This was designed by GM do Brasil? Same people as new Colorado. Colorado was a global team including from GM NA, so the Equinox face is deliberate for the Pan-American market.

Cute little lugger, if utilitarian enough could carve out a niche but I think Ausrutherford is right: it isn't a Gamma product. That doesn't mean it is no good - you would imagine if it's designed for South America, it's basic but tough and longwearing. It will also probably take just about any fuel with a smattering of petroleum product in it. Low-risk for GM to try, but it might be a few generations behind for general dynamics and refinement. Not to mention equipment levels.

I wouldn't see it impinging on a Zeta Ute, which would sell for roughly double the scratch, and the main reason for which is that it's a RWD 2-door V8 sportscar with an enormous trunk. Nor Colorado (which BTW is selling very nicely here) and is basically an even higher-capability machine in terms of carting stuff.

Thanks

I could see this selling here in Canada. I personally would rather see these around than Nissan Jukes or cubes. Small engines in these kind of vehicles are absolutely fine.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Malibu LS V6 2009 red

I don't care much for trucks but I like this one a lot! GM might find a market for people like me that wouldn't look twice at a full size gas hog but might spring for a sporty light duty rec vehicle.

Thanks

1. Would it meet our certifications? And at what cost?
    2. I say, "Hello, return of the S-10 pickup". Nice 'n cheap, small, and gets the job done.

If the certification / import costs are reasonable, why not? (Other than the costs to train for repairs and stocking parts for a whole new vehicle, and competition against the new Colorado coming in 1 year)....
    Current rides: 2014 GMC Terrain, 2011 Dodge Durango.
    Past rides: 2013 Buick Verano, 2006 GTO, 2005 Vibe (best car I've ever owned), 2006 Odyssey (the worst vehicle I've ever owned), 2005 Envoy, 2002 Wrangler, 2002 S10, 2000 Sierra C1500, 1997 Sierra K1500 (2nd best car I've ever owned), 1996 Stratus, 1996 SW1 Saturn, 1994 Toyota Pickup (4x4 - 2nd worst car I've ever owned), 1992 Dakota, 1988 GMC Suburban, 1987 S10 Blazer, 1985 Scrambler, 1980 Tercel

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Big question would GM be able to offer what amounts to a 2 seater light utility truck because even if you put a middle seat belt hard to see this carrying 3 passengers. If the answer is no then there will be pressure to add jump seats maybe a crew cab and suddenly you have Colorado/Canyon competitor so not sure. If it is an MPG issue it would make more sense to add eAssist to the new Colorado/Canyon than offering a smaller model with less utility just to get CAFE numbers up.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information