GM Inside News Forum banner

Impressions of the undisguised 2016 Camaro.

19K views 128 replies 56 participants last post by  Z284ever 
#1 ·
I'll summarize what I've heard from my sources, who have now seen the undisguised preproduction cars:

- similar in design concept to the current car but is modernized with stronger lines and a very aggressive front end.

- it has a very masculine look.

- definitely smaller than the current car.

- similar in size to the ATS, but a bit smaller.

That's all for now. I'll be traveling today. I'll post if I get more.

#7 ·
I'll summarize what I've heard from my sources, who have now seen the undisguised preproduction cars:

- similar in design concept to the current car but is modernized with stronger lines and a very aggressive front end.

all the rumour / speculation was between ATS/CTS in size?

and what about the LONG HOOD / short trunk that the Camaro MK5 HAS and the ATS does NOT have

#12 ·
Smaller than the ATS? Wow, didn't expect that. And I like it. I know it's the same chassis, but I was expecting for some reason that it would be as big or bigger than the ATS.

#19 ·
Keep in mind, that the 5th gen, for a large car, has very poor interior packaging. It is very possible, in fact probable, that the 6th gen can be considerably smaller in exterior dimensions, yet have interior dimensions which are comparable or even slightly larger than the current car.

Reactions: tripowergto
#23 ·
So that would put it closer in size to the first gen Camaro. Even better. I'm all for smaller cars.

Smaller than the ATS? I'd like that. The Dodge Dart is one inch longer than the Cadillac!
The Dart is midsize, similar to the Camry/Accord before they became larger by the turn of the century.

#28 ·
The Dart is midsize, similar to the Camry/Accord before they became larger by the turn of the century.
Better let Dodge know, it says compact on their website.

The ATS coupe isnt terrible but make no mistake, you wont be getting 4 adults in there. Smaller teens, sure.

If they can package it a little better it'll be nice.
I'm hoping it is packaged better. It should be.

#24 ·
It's a camaro...who cares about fitting people comfortably in the back seat...if that's what you are shopping for a pony car is the wrong segment...

This new car sounds awesome...although I'm not a fan of that orange autobot thing...

Hope it's cooler looking than that...LOL

From the description and some previous shadow spy shot we ve seen...the 6th gen sounds awesome.

Cool looking rides have space and visibility constraints by their very design nature. Either get with the program or go buy a four door sedan..

No insult intended ...it's just a fact ....for the most part...just the nature of the market segment of sports cars etc..

#31 · (Edited)
Because the Camaro will shrink in size, back to it's original concept in size, I wonder we're does this leave us?

The current Camaro is actually a tweener and closer to the midsized Monte Carlo it replaced. By concept......the Camaro is a pony car and pony cars were always smaller than there midsized muscle car siblings. This makes me wonder, is GM getting ready to usher in a rebirth of a true muscle car era. We do know Buick is trying to figure out how to bring a Grand National/Gnx to production and they were midsized coupes. A Monte Carlo/Chevelle could help pay for the tooling. This could be interesting. While the Camaro moves back to it's small, agile, atheletic, sports car roots ......does this leave room for mid-full sized grand tourer muscle cars?

#36 ·
Wishful thinking. Theoretically, you could probably spread costs out with a Grand National, Chevelle, Monaro, and CTS coupe all off of Alpha+, but I'm not expecting it to happen. I don't think there's a market large enough, but then again, it is just a variant and would be sold globally...

#42 ·
P
I hope you're wrong about the size,,the current one is small as it is,just how much smaller can it get for normal size people to fit in it?

#44 ·
P
I hope you're wrong about the size,,the current one is small as it is,just how much smaller can it get for normal size people to fit in it?
There is a difference between interior size and exterior size, as has been mentioned the current Camaro externally is a pretty large vehicle. However internally has about the same interior volume as a Honda Civic coupe. Essentially they can shrink the exterior while keeping interior room the same (or even increasing it a bit). Though it is likely not to be smaller then an ATS, no doubt it will be smaller then the current car.

#43 ·
Sounds like this new camaro with the LT1 could really be a BMW m4 competitor...and not just a mustang gt , challenger competitor.

I like the idea of possibly dropping some of the size of the bruiser fifth gen...as cool as that was...(especially in zL1 and z28 guise)

BMW M4 / Audi rs5 competitor from America sounds pretty Enticing if true...

Rear wheel drive only of course....LT1 v8 powered sounds pretty impressive too.

8 speed automatic will probably be quicker than the 6 or 7 speed manual...

Hopefully the A6 will be put out to pasture...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.