Commentary: GMC Should Tap Hummers Spirit

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Commentary: GMC Should Tap Hummers Spirit

Editor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 358 Posts
    Blog Entries

Commentary: GMC Should Tap Hummers Spirit

Calls for unique GMC's should pick up where Hummer left off.
    www.GMInsideNews.com
    March 3, 2014
    By: Nick Saporito

Pictured: Hummer HX Concept - the concept version of the brand's alleged Wrangler competitor.

With every media event, candid conversations with the folks actually churning out the future products of General Motors are a must. While media-trained to not give away the keys to the castle, they often pass along anecdotes that give a glimpse at the guts of GM. Recently, the anecdotes trend surrounded the former Hummer brand; showcasing an underlining passion for the deceased pop culture icon that seems to merit rekindling.

On each of the last two GM media events I've been on, at least one product development employee passionately lamented about the Hummer brand. In both cases, the insider went over what went wrong with the brand and expressed their disappointment that the brand did not survive long enough to see the launch of its Jeep Wrangler competitor, allegedly named the H3X (rumored H4).

According to the sources, the H3X (H4) was going to be a somewhat radical departure for the brand, taking it from the gaudy luxury barge image of the H2 and turning it more authentically off-road. It would have taken what the H3 started with a less luxury, more rugged approach and amplified it. From a retail perspective, the move was also likely intended to generate more volume for Hummer dealers, who were mandated to build lavish, expensive showrooms just to be able to sell the H3.

As we all know, General Motors Corporation announced its intent to divest or kill the Hummer brand in 2008 as the company ran out of liquidity. After several failed attempts at off-loading the brand to overseas investors, GM ultimately killed Hummer and the H3X (H4) with it.

"The H3X would have changed perceptions of Hummer," stated one source. The H3X (H4) was to be based on a variant of the GMT-355 platform that also underpinned the H3 SUV and former Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. That platform, too, died during GM's bankruptcy.

Fast-forward to today and GM has another brand that seems to be a natural fit for a H3X-like product: GMC.

In recent years, the GMC brand has proven to be viable at driving higher transaction prices and attracting new buyers to GM. Nearly 20 percent of GMC's sales are of the top-end Denali models, with one of the brand's most expensive products, Yukon, trending as high as 60 percent Denali. As the brand attracts more lucrative sales, it's also increasing sales. Total GMC sales were up nine percent last year, with each retail model seeing increases; Acadia and Terrain both had their best sales year ever.

Like a parent rewarding their child, GM is rewarding GMC's good performance in recent years by giving the brand its own design DNA. The brand that historically had a lineup of Chevys with GMC grilles now actually has some design finesse to it. New GMC products have a C-clamp shape lighting signature, squared fender flares and other exclusive design cues.

Assuming GMC's good performance continues--all signs suggest it will--what is next for GMC? Perhaps exclusive product?

Apparently so. During January's Detroit auto show, GM product development chief Mark Reuss responded, "Oh yes, you will." when asked if we’d ever see GMC’s that are not shared with Chevrolet counterparts.

I'll go ahead and preface this by saying I've heard no official information or rumors what unique product GMC may get, but I certainly have some ideas. For starters, why not resurrect this supposedly awesome H3X for GMC?

Unlike recent history, GM now has a platform on which to develop a Wrangler competitor: the 31XX platform. It underpins the 2015 Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Essentially a scaled down version of the full-size truck platform, it could serve as an excellent foundation for an off-roader; perhaps more so than the GMT-355 that would have originally bore the Hummer H3X. Thanks to the new midsize trucks, we also already know that four-cylinder and V-6 gas engines, as well as a four-cylinder diesel, are within the bandwidth of the 31XX program - perfect for this conceptual off-roader.

So GM has the hardware and maybe even the development (from Hummer) for this type of vehicle on the shelf and they have a truck and SUV brand that performs really well and in need of unique product. Sounds like a match made in heaven, no?

31XX could also serve to provide GMC another unique product. It's one we've talked about before: a traditional SUV. GMC could bring back the Envoy nameplate on a body on frame SUV similar to the new global Chevrolet Trailblazer. GMC could make this SUV a mini-Yukon with two rows of seats and a high degree of ruggedness. Unlike the previous Envoy, this one would have no Chevrolet counterpart.

Eventually, the Envoy could indirectly replace the Terrain or Acadia crossovers. The move would diversify the Buick-GMC sales channel and allow Buick to have a cushy midsize crossover, while GMC offers a rugged alternative for those who need to tow or want to go off-road on the weekend. Aiding in this is the fact that Jeep Grand Cherokee (a likely competitor to this theoretical GMC) sales are up 21 percent for the year. Grand Cherokee sales were up 13 percent for all of 2013.

Both of these GMC products could be offered in the company's highly successful Denali trim level as well, with the off-roader serving as the more premium alternative to the Jeep Wrangler. All-Terrain versions of both could also be offered with BF Goodrich tires and the design traits already found on GMC's All-Terrain models.

At the macro level, providing GMC these products solves a bigger problem at GM North America. It would serve as a solid step forward to filling in the gaps within the company's product portfolio, something Reuss has publicly stated as a priority for the company. As GM diversifies each brand's portfolio, the need to diversify brands with insane feature "rules" can go away. An example of such a rule is how Chevrolet SUVs can't have real aluminum trim because only GMC gets the real element.

Will GM ever produce these two products? It's hard to say, but probably not. Regardless, we can dream and producing two products that are spiritual successors of the Hummer brand may ultimately be a slight vindication for those who were so passionate about it internally.
    Last edited by nsap; 03-03-2014 at 11:19 AM.

2. The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to nsap For This Useful Post:

All Star (03-03-2014),Amphibian (03-04-2014),bronco5280 (03-03-2014),Canuck (03-03-2014),CarFreak77 (03-03-2014),CJH (03-03-2014),demonspeed (03-04-2014),Ed Arcuri (03-03-2014),Genghis (03-05-2014),GMTruckGuy74 (03-03-2014),JacozSS (03-04-2014),JeffInDFW (03-03-2014),klane079 (03-03-2014),kmacleod (03-04-2014),LetsRace (03-03-2014),mchicha (03-03-2014),nruggiero (03-03-2014),ogg vorbis (03-04-2014),pennyhank (03-03-2014),RedVee8 (03-04-2014),rjpoog1989 (03-03-2014),Saginaw Bay (03-04-2014),sfbreh (03-03-2014),SierraGS (03-03-2014),sledgehammer777 (03-03-2014),smitty912 (03-03-2014),TruckBuilder (03-08-2014),TruckFan (03-04-2014),TruckMan (03-04-2014)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 sfbreh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 1,181 Posts

Re: Commentary: GMC Should Tap Hummers Spirit

Yes.

GMC needs a Grand Cherokee-type Envoy. That is definitely something I would consider.
    GMC could also use a Wrangler competitor. It would need to be iconic from the get-go to compete with an American icon.

A focus on off-roading is the next step in the natural evolution of GMC. It also serves to, as you said, diversify the Buick-GMC sales channel.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sfbreh For This Useful Post:

bronco5280 (03-03-2014),joseodiaga4 (03-28-2014),LetsRace (03-03-2014),SierraGS (03-03-2014),TruckMan (03-04-2014)

Thanks
    My Ride
    Ford Explorer/2002/Green

I totally agree. The Terrain looks more rugged than the Equinox, but in reality...What have you heard about the GMC that is supposed to share underpinnings with the next generation SRX? Also, with Jeep's Renegade (no comment), wouldn't that give GM more incentive to push for more rugged vehicles?

By the way, I would like to kill the Chevrolet truck brand.
    I didn't go to math school, so I'm not going to do the math.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DirtyMoney For This Useful Post:

jetstar63 (03-03-2014),SierraGS (03-03-2014)

News Contributor Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,350 Times in 604 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Cadillac ATS

We should get the mid-size RWD Grand Cherokee killer first.

More profitable and better sales to boot.
    Last edited by Envoy4Life; 03-03-2014 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Made it clearer
    Current:

2014 Cadillac ATS4 3.6L Premium Collection

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

Past:

2013 Cadillac ATS4 3.6L Premium Collection -> LEMON

2011 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ V6

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Envoy4Life For This Useful Post:

impala02 (03-03-2014),LetsRace (03-03-2014)

Editor
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy4Life View Post
    How about we get a mid-size RWD Grand Cherokee killer first?

More profitable and better sales to boot.
    Did you read? I'm calling for both.
    "What's noteworthy about this rumor is that it came from GMInsideNews.com. That in itself gives it a bit more credibility." - Edmund's Insideline, June 21, 2008

E-Mail Me

Thanks
    I'll be first in line, should GMC make a Wrangler competitor.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to All Star For This Useful Post:

SierraGS (03-03-2014)

News Contributor Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,350 Times in 604 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Cadillac ATS

Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    I did.

But if they were to do them both, the Grand Cherokee fighter should come first. A Wrangler killer is almost a niche vehicle.

It would be good for the brand though.
    Current:

2014 Cadillac ATS4 3.6L Premium Collection

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

Past:

2013 Cadillac ATS4 3.6L Premium Collection -> LEMON

2011 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ V6

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Envoy4Life For This Useful Post:

SierraGS (03-03-2014)

Thanks

Woah, Nelly! Simmer down!

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 MyImpalaSS's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Impala SS(Black on Black)

They'll make at least one of those. If GMC makes a GC competitor and it's properly done, I'll be all over it. I don't really need a full-sized SUV anymore as 2 of my girls are in college and they have their own car. I'm getting an Escalade Platinum, but that's a want, not a need.
    Last edited by MyImpalaSS; 03-03-2014 at 11:11 AM.
    Current Cars:
    2010 Black Impala SS(my baby)
    2009 Gold Yukon Denali(wife drives it)
    2010 Black Hummer H3 Alpha(for my off-roading pleasure
    )

Future Cars:
    The Caddy Flagship
    C7 Corvette
    ATS 2.0T AWD Black exterior/Red interior(For my twins)

GM 4 LIFE!!!
    Nobody else does it better

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MyImpalaSS For This Useful Post:

SierraGS (03-03-2014)

Thanks
    I've been yelling this for a while. Agreed.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to All Star For This Useful Post:

SierraGS (03-03-2014)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Mentat Bashar's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Accord Coupe' V6 6spd

Yes!
    "I do not care about inequality because I'm not envious. I care about poverty."

Apostrophes: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apostrophe

Spelling: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=163843

Quote Originally Posted by Martha Quinn;
    It's like a DeLorean...an audio DeLorean.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabara Airport;
    The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of Dreamlifter cargo only, there is no stopping in the red zone.

Editor
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MyImpalaSS View Post
    They'll make at least one of those.
    I wish I was as optimistic. I think it makes too much sense for GM to do it.

They'd have to spend two years going into the homes of Wrangler owners to "learn that customer" first. By the time they do that, forget it.
    "What's noteworthy about this rumor is that it came from GMInsideNews.com. That in itself gives it a bit more credibility." - Edmund's Insideline, June 21, 2008

E-Mail Me

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC American007's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Cadillac ATS

I know this is more about the h3x the commentary did get me thinking about a h2 sized Denali with a gmc front end. At least I can dream

23. The Following User Says Thank You to American007 For This Useful Post:

Hummer04 (03-04-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat Bashar View Post
    Yes!
    Best post of the thread.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Buick Regal Turbo

Agree 100% with you nsap.

26. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information