GM Inside News Forum banner

Commentary: Alpha Torana Set To Fly + Pontiac Firebird

17K views 65 replies 35 participants last post by  vt6banger 
#1 · (Edited)
Torana Set To Fly Could a Pontiac Firebird Join the Party?

A GM Inside News Commentary by

Michael McWilliams
mikmakGMInsidenews.com
Australia Correspondent

<edit> Due to popular demand ....and some complaining, refer to the end of this post for the return of the Firebird</edit>
24 January 2012

Torana, an aboriginal word meaning “to fly”, is name well known amongst Australian motoring tragics. The car that kick started Peter Brocks astounding run of dominance at Bathurst (Australia’s Nurburgring) also kick started many a childhood love of the Lion and Stone. From the HB Brabham to the giant killing GTR XU-1, SLR 5000 and A9X, Torana has served up many much loved hi-po variants of the family hack models spanning 2 decades. Right now two circumstances are providing the perfect environment to revive a legend.

There has been no end to the discussion and excitement around the arrival of the Alpha based Cadillac ATS. Some were disappointed in the restraint of its design, but, finally Cadillac has a very competent entry into the compact luxury segment, and as many have hoped, it IS REAR wheel drive.
Now, with the concurrent arrival of the 130R concept, it may appear that GM is at least willing to investigate further opportunities to leverage their new RWD platform. We at GMInsidenews.com believe Alpha is a crucial part of GMs resurgence. One that has the potential to create a excitement beyond the shores of North America.

It is no secret that US manufacturing has had a tough run for the last ten years. In recent times, however, strength is returning to domestic products, both through sales and a more viable business case. The waiver green back creates viability which now extends to a more competitive export position.

Design

Thanks to our resident chopping wizard, MonaroSS, we’ve theorized just such an export proposition, paying homage to the still born GTR-X. Applying the styling cues of one of Holden’s most loved prototypes can give the Alpha platform a more dynamic edge that is missing with the recently revealed ATS (We aren’t picking on the ATS here. I believe the baby Caddy is a restrained, classy and fad free modern sedan, which is assured of success with customers not interested in shouting their entry to the executive car park). Clean panels rely on a sweeping silhouette , without the fussiness of some of Asia’s contemporary offerings. It offers a modern interpretation to an era when the bulk and glitz of the 50’s gave way to lithe athletic forms of euro supercars.

Features

All models can share the Holden iQ system which currently resides in the Commodore range. Obvious inclusions: 6 speed Auto or manual, 6 airbags, ESP, 60/40 split fold rear seats, Blue Tooth. Fast glass all round and dual zone climate control

Torana CDX (4 door only) from 32,990 AUD

Possible product mixes can start with the 1.4 Turbo currently used in the Australian built Holden Cruze and NA Chevrolet Cruze Eco. This power plant has proven itself as a lively and fun engine that when coupled with the 6 speed manual, provides enough satisfaction for the regular citizen. It even put a smile on my face in the base model Holden Cruze CD. Much like the entry level models from MB, Audi and BMW models, this is about a handsome and striking product that will most likely spend more time in the inner city. Holden iQ presents suitable functionality for USB and iPod connection. Suspension is tuned in line with similar damping feel as the current Cruze range (Note: I suspect that in Oz we may have a firmer ride than North America). Optional 2.0L turbo Diesel

Full leather interior, heated front seats and HDD storage for music give the CDX a more premium focus. 17” wheels aid ride compliance and less intrusive road noise.

Torana SRi (2 or 4 door) from 32,990 AUD

18” wheels, with the leather interior giving way to a more affordable interior with fabric trim and alcantara accents. Add GMs new 2.5DI 4 and you have a solid recipe for accessible entertainment. This would be an ideal first car for a lucky few, or a great second vehicle for the daily commuter whom occasionally might take the long way home. This is the choice for those who want a little sport in preference to luxury. LSD comes standard.

Torana SRiV (2 or 4 door) from 37,500 AUD

A 2.0T with direct injection, LSD, and unique 19” alloys, add to an interior packing all the fruit of the CDX, with added Navigation to the Holden iQ system.

Torana GTR Option pack (2 door only) from 41,990 AUD
For the performance oriented enthusiast, GTR spec adds a hi-po tune to the SRiV, complemented by GTR only, light weight 18” forged alloys, bigger Brembo stoppers and “SPORT” ESP setting for more liberal angles of attack. The blacked out interior gets a lift through heavily bolstered sports seats, and, alcantara sports wheel and interior accents. A GTR tab is also added to the Holden iQ system with configurable displays of performance data adding to the driver’s involvement.

More Options:

Rear Seat delete (2 door only)
Factory tuned sports exhaust
4G connectivity for Holden iQ integrated web browsing
Active Aero boot lip spoiler (GTR ONLY)
Cross Brace (2 door only w/Rear Seat deletion) [loss of 60/40 split fold capability]

Three is a Crowd

The biggest hurdle for an Alpha based Torana is obviously the Holden Commodore. Though relinquishing its 15 year record strong hold on the Number 1 position in the Australian market to Mazda 3, Commodore still serves as the biggest lynch pin in assuring continuity of domestic manufacturing. The last thing Holden wants is to do is jeopardise the future of their local operations. Holden’s Zeta still offers the only real full size sedan under 50K AUD, and, is not something that General Motors should give away lightly.

This can be mitigated through more complementary import agreements on both shores. I’m sure you’ve already guessed what I’m thinking: swap Zetas for Alphas, ensuring both markets have the option to choose from GMs best global RWD offerings. The added market will be a welcome boost for Australian production (including more favourable PPV sales), and, will also allow General Motors to operate as a more globally orientated organization. This is what they [General Motors] have always touted, but currently there is still too much protection in GMs empire.

Four is a Party
Other current “internal” competition will come in the form of the Malibu and the Opel Insignia line up (both due this year). How can you possibly justify having so many products in such a small market?

Try making it a global “problem”. Buick in China is STILL demonstrating how is should be the template for global success. More variety = more customers. Malibu will still maintain its likely function as a Camry competitor. Opel will still provide competition with the likes of VW/Skoda. Torana will be the point of difference that makes customers feel like they are taking the path less travelled. More importantly, there would be a huge market of starry eyed kids, now all grown up looking to relive their childhood.

How about a Buick Riviera for the European and Asian markets? Why not a new Opel Ascona (CDX spec) with Opel Bitter (GTR Pack) to revive Opel’s current lineup? How about General Motors starts offering more products with differing values and unique selling points, as opposed to their current crop of vehicles which seem beholden to the same formula as their competition?

As I’ve said before; if you offer the same product as the competition, then you have to compete on price (eventually having to trim back on features or accepting lower quality components). Offer a unique product and you will find people falling over themselves to get it (just watch the lineup for the Toyota 86 and Subaru BRZ[sp?]).

As far as we know, Torana is just a theory (though I'd love to post it in Headline News!) however, Alpha is the key for General Motors to finally offer a unique range of emotive products throughout the globe, and those are the type of automobiles that create loyal customers.

It is time for Alpha to fly.

MonaroSS has also added a possible Pontiac Niche Model so let's chew on that option!​

2016 Pontiac Firebird

Released for the marques 90th Birthday, the Pontiac Firebird would carry all the options of the GTR spec trim plus the 3.0 TT DI V6. Added tech from the Corvette includes MRC suspension and variable aperature centre mounted twin exhaust.

The top spec Trans Am adds a 6.2 litre Hi-Po tune of GMs Gen V V8 with functional RAM air hood to feed optimised high flow heads unique to this iteration of GMs best V8 yet. A quartet of stainless exhausts bellows from the rear, letting you know who just blew you away.

The Firebird pays homage to the past while showcasing the latest in General Motors bred excitement. Exclusively available through Chevrolet show rooms. Enquire about the track pack options including MRC delete in place of adjustable racing suspension, and factory cages (half and full)!

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Re: Alpha Torana Set To Fly

That's kind of the point. It wont be mistaken for anything else. Hype (er.... marketing) are the department responsible for making your brain recognise that when you see it, whom ever is behind the wheel has bought something different. Personally, I like to be able to recognise other Auto fans on the road. They usually actually like driving, which generally makes them safer drivers. Come back tomorrow and I bet you'll like it. :D

More to the point, what do you think of the viability of a Alpha becoming a global product? I think it's a great opportunity to create a strong export business for GMNA, something they have had little success with in the past. Should it remain a Cadillac only proposition or should we all play happy families and share?

#8 ·
Re: Commentary: Alpha Torana Set To Fly

I think that's really cool. I'd be all for an Alpha based Torana.

However, in all fairness, and as a form of turn about, I think Holden should base the Torana on the North American GMT900 architecture. That way, we Americans can spend years telling our Aussie bros that a 5,000 pound Torana isn't too heavy at all, and besides, the GMT900 architecture is so superior to anything in the world, because it was developed by aliens from the future. :D

#39 · (Edited)

I think that's really cool. I'd be all for an Alpha based Torana.

However, in all fairness, and as a form of turn about, I think Holden should base the Torana on the North American GMT900 architecture. That way, we Americans can spend years telling our Aussie bros that a 5,000 pound Torana isn't too heavy at all, and besides, the GMT900 architecture is so superior to anything in the world, because it was developed by aliens from the future. :D
Well, just for you GM is bringing out the Ecoweeny/Autocross Gen VI. The Gen V is exactly what they asked and paid for - we don't care that you don't like it, but don't blame us for your buyer's remorse. And they are terribly upset that it's sold about 200,000 in less than three years, deposed the Mustang (which was supposed to be unassailable and mount a 5.0 litre rearguard action to send GM back to it's own trenches) and is actually increasing in volume with a convertible - and no discounitng!

So, soon there will be lots of dinky-toy four-pot Camaros everywhere that weigh nothing and consume little fuel - and provide lots of four-banger excitement. Won't that be fun:D

Under $30K for a RWD midsize car? You're dreaming. You can barely get a runout Camry for that. It's going to be a $35K car if it's a dollar and they expect to make any money on it. And that's the problem with a 'Torana' - it doesn't cost 10% less to make, but you can't charge within 10% of the buy price. A midsize RWD is a discretionary, not a rational purchase when you can buy midsize FWD cars for less. Unlike a RWD fullsize Commodore which you can still make a case for if you tow or have a big family or just want a big V8.

Americans haven't yet woken up with Alpha - a V8 isn't going to be a tick-box option with any car (I bet an SS V8 Camaro will be a rarish and expensive beast), and that's what's selling private Commodores. It's by no means certain a turbo four or even a turbo six will have the same mass-market appeal. Or we'd see a lot more FG turbos than we do, and Ford as a whole would be in a lot less trouble with the Falcon. And a turbo six is a more expensive component that a crate V8.

The petrol heads amongst us will ooh and aah at auto shows, but most people will plump money on a Malibu or Commodore at the dealers. And Holden and the dealer would rather sell you a Commy or a Malibu, because they make more money out of either. Exactly like the situation with the Silverado and Colorado in the US.

#11 ·

I love MonaroSS's work, but this is the wrong Torana to base it on IMHO.

This would encourage a stirring in my loins...

Or this complete with drop tank:

Or even this:

#35 ·

I love MonaroSS's work, but this is the wrong Torana to base it on IMHO.

This would encourage a stirring in my loins...

Or this complete with drop tank:

I gotta agree on this, the LH/LX Toranas bear a definite resemblance to the Chevy Monza (at least IMO). I think a modern interpretation of the above would do really well for a modern Monza too (with little more than badge/grill changes).

#13 ·

^^^I guess that is kind of my fault. I asked MonaroSS to use the GTR-X cues because it deserves to live! It is one of the few unique designs that does not rely on bulk for aggression (like the A9X for example :D). I like the XU-1 (my mate has one exactly like that..... except for a few bent panels :eek:) but I can't see how you could pay homage without being too retro.

Personally, I think his GTR Coupe chop is pure horn!

<edit> you just got in before me john :D </edit>

#16 ·

^^^I guess that is kind of my fault. I asked MonaroSS to use the GTR-X cues because it deserves to live! It is one of the few unique designs that does not rely on bulk for aggression (like the A9X for example :D). I like the XU-1 (my mate has one exactly like that..... except for a few bent panels :eek:) but I can't see how you could pay homage without being too retro.

Personally, I think his GTR Coupe chop is pure horn!

<edit> you just got in before me john :D </edit>
No fault, just opinion. That's the thing about opinions - they're like ... (I forgot the rest...)

#14 · (Edited)

I kind of like the old Torana concept form 2004

Just update the styling to be an edgier version of the VF Commodore and its a done deal.

Manufacture it in Lansing next to the ATS and it could be a Chevy Nova and have it as part of the Chevy Performance Line. Could be ready to go in 2 years.

#17 ·

Again - just opinion - but I felt it had been done before :

#45 · (Edited)

Again - just opinion - but I felt it had been done before :

The Mazda was also what I was thinking of when I saw the Torana concept.

As a two door, it is a very interesting proposition, if a bit on the small side to double as a Buick Riviera. Maybe it's just me, but a Riviera needs to be a big, impressive coupe. I'd have started with a Camaro, stretched the wheelbase a couple of inches, and gone from there, much like the Monte Carlo idea I'd seen in another thread that combined quite a few '80s Monte Carlo design cues. Another idea would be to stretch a Corvette platform into a 2+2, and go from there. It would be a way to have a bespoke Riviera and Eldorado.

BTW, I like the Monza idea, but if Camaro goes to Alpha, where would we put a Monza? Build a new Kappa, stretch it into four seat dimensions (barely), and power it with four cylinder engines only? This could make for something really interesting, especially taken as a lesson in paring weight from a car.

I suspect, though, that if Holden were to get a Torana, it would be a version of Code130R, like it or not. As for the Opel Bitter, surely there are other names associated with Opel to make it worthwhile, besides, as little as two years ago, he was at it again, trying to keep things going with a modified Commodore/G8.http://helloautomoto.blogspot.com/2009/04/custom-car-designer-bitter-developing.html

#19 ·

I'm partial to the XU1 myself - whenever i see A9X and SLR's i think of wankers i went to school with who had a pack of whinie blues tucked under a white T shirt sleeve
and slicked back hair or a mullet (as they got older)

XU1 was a scalpel and A9X was a sledgehammer by comparison

#20 ·

I watched a mate on his RF900 race a slightly breathed on LX SS for as long as I could see them (Wagga Airport road so you'll know it :D). Suzuki had him at the start but the Torana pulled back to almost level until they were doing (apparently) about 150, then the bike took off. Impressive piece of machinery though mostly in a straight line.

I've also had fun in an XU1 (again through Wagga). I would have to agree with you. The smaller version was more fun, especially with the racing rack installed. Scalpel indeed (for the time anyway).

#22 ·

I watched a mate on his RF900 race a slightly breathed on LX SS for as long as I could see them (Wagga Airport road so you'll know it :D). Suzuki had him at the start but the Torana pulled back to almost level until they were doing (apparently) about 150, then the bike took off. Impressive piece of machinery though mostly in a straight line.

I've also had fun in an XU1 (again through Wagga). I would have to agree with you. The smaller version was more fun, especially with the racing rack installed. Scalpel indeed (for the time anyway).

Elizabeth avenue :D yeah many a soul has used that road for "performance testing"

Coppers hide in the bushes now to kill the fun

Back to the XU1 - i allways wanted one and could have bought one when they were reasonably priced but now your looking at thousands to find a rusted out shell :(

#23 ·

I would hope that a small rwd car from Holden would have a maximum base model price of around AU$27,000.
Its main competitor would be the AWD Subaru Impreza, priced at AU$25,000.... (?)

Lets be honest. No one will buy a small or medium BASE model HOLDEN for over 30 thousand dollars.

#38 ·

I would hope that a small rwd car from Holden would have a maximum base model price of around AU$27,000.
Its main competitor would be the AWD Subaru Impreza, priced at AU$25,000.... (?)

Lets be honest. No one will buy a small or medium BASE model HOLDEN for over 30 thousand dollars.
27000 dollars is pretty low these days, when you consider the Torana CDX comes with full leather, colour touch screen and a striking design. The idea is that it fits in the Jetta/Skoda and lower end A4 crowd. Comparing it to a base model Impreza is like comparing the Omega to Calais. I honestly don't see the attraction to the enrty level Subarus. Underrspecced, way underpowered and consequently inefficient, however, as you mentioned, they are very sharply priced! Under 25k! I did the pricing based on what I thought would be a fair price. Maybe knock 2k off considering I didn't have the benefit of internet at the time of writing. I would still get an SRi though.

For everyones viewing pleasure, here is the Opel Bitter, eyes wide open. Continue the abuse. lol.

I still like it. :p:

#24 · (Edited)

Hi guys,

Yes I thought it would be 'unusual' to try to put GTR-X cues on a modern vehicle when mikmak suggested it but I did it and then looked at it for a very long time, days in fact, but the more I looked the more it grew on me. It takes that 70's wedge styling, adds modern surface treatment and becomes something new and of itself. It is avant-garde.

I think designs like mikmak wanted are not the designs that look like all your current favourites out of the box. Many of what we now consider to be game changing designs took a little while to be appreciated. Bob Lutz's Ford Sierra, which one could argue presaged the modern smooth surfacing that we still have today, was not at all well liked to start with; but became one of Ford's biggest sellers. To those who are unsure, sleep on it and come look at it again tomorrow...

BTW... '69

;)

#26 · (Edited)

I find it hard to see a Holden in that face - perhaps put the unside down FJ split grill in there instead of the pinched Dodge cross hatch
But here's the thing..

We've all become brainwashed by the corporate grille thing. Were is the Holden in the face of the GTR-X? No Holden before it ever looked like that. Where is the Holden in the face of the HQ, no Holden ever looked like it before that either? But I was there for the HQ launch and the first VB Commodore launch, and neither looked like any previous Holden. But they were all Holden’s the minute the covers came off....

BTW, for those who don't recall the Opel based Bitter...

;)

#29 ·

I'd be interested in one of those GTRs.....

On the LC-LJ Torries, I always found the offset wheel-pedals alignment a little off putting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.