GM Inside News Forum banner

(COLORS - Caprice Coupe) VF Monaro SS - thus Chevy SS Coupe?

103K views 105 replies 52 participants last post by  camaro_freak 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Should Holden do a VF Monaro
- thus Chevy SS Coupe?

Discuss this article further at our Chevy SS Forum

Op-Ed by MonaroSS
GMI Contributor – 1 May 2012

Just a quick one this time. If I were Holden and knew the VF was Zeta's last hurrah, I would do a Gen 4 Monaro. I mean the Gen 3 was late in that platform’s cycle and was only intended to run a few years. It was created to only run small production numbers. So if the Gen 3 was justifiable then, surely a Gen 4 is justifiable now.....

The thing is that they start so much further ahead than when the Gen 3 Monaro/Pontiac GTO was created. For a start a lot of the design work has already been done on Coupe 60. And unlike Gen 3 Monaro, a Gen 4 has an instant export market in that Chevrolet can simply add an SS Coupe to the SS Performance Sedan.

Now some may say it would eat into Camaro sales but I say not if they keep numbers limited, and it's styling and 5 place seating would appeal more to a BMW 3 Coupe buyer demographic...

EDIT: New Caprice Coupe RS, Monaro SS, Chevy SS Coupe & Chevy Nomad SS

Click to Enlarge

Click to Enlarge

;)

See less See more
#36 ·
Re: Should Holden do a VF Monaro - thus Chevy SS Coupe?

NO! Past performance shows that this will be a HUGE FAILURE. This pathetic attempt at taking mediocre Aussie products and flipping the steering wheel and charging outrageous prices for them should cease NOW! These have never worked!

#40 ·

Since Ford and Dodge have already revealed their version of the Nascar Cup cars to the resemble factory look, Chevy has to come out with a similar type of car to resemble the factory look. The Impala name plate will not be used anymore in Nascar, so what will the next Cup car be and when will Chevy reveal it? Just wondering.

#43 ·

For Aussies who recall how Ford Australia grafted the nose from a new body Falcon sedan front onto the old body Ute to get the XH Ute this may make sense.

If or when the next Impala replaces VF, there is unlikely to be a Ute, Monaro coupe or Sportwagon, at least not immediately. Holden could swap sedan production for Impala but retain a smaller Zeta production for several years just doing Utes, Sportwagon and Monaro with whatever the then Impala front styling is grafted on. Think VF+.... At least it would still give the V8 boys toys to buy for several years more....

;)

#47 ·

For Aussies who recall how Ford Australia grafted the nose from a new body Falcon sedan front onto the old body Ute to get the XH Ute this may make sense.

If or when the next Impala replaces VF, there is unlikely to be a Ute, Monaro coupe or Sportwagon, at least not immediately. Holden could swap sedan production for Impala but retain a smaller Zeta production for several years just doing Utes, Sportwagon and Monaro with whatever the then Impala front styling is grafted on. Think VF+.... At least it would still give the V8 boys toys to buy for several years more....

;)
What about doing a 'chop on a vehicle that may never be built but would be really cool, and combine the SportsWagon and Monaro/"Monte Carlo" you have above and make a modern day "Nomad".

Make sure to keep the Monaro's front door detail and extend it towards the rear to "lower" the sideview and give it an aggressive "stance".

#45 · (Edited)

Okay Monaro as usual your work is great....but I rather see the SS as the WM Caprice, and not the Commie...and I rather see a fullsize coupe, like the one you previously have done for us before....

I wish you could take the WM...below, and make it look more like the CL550 Benz Super Coupe...I would rather you chop the WM into the SS, and SS Coupe...

WM Caprice

CL550 Coupe

I actually think the Camaro will not shrink as much as everyone thinks so a even larger RWD coupe will be logical, and its already been said the Camaro will be on Alpha-Plus meaning larger than the ATS, and the 130r could come as a sort of Alpha Short (monza). So if the SS came as the Caprice it could have a real fullsize super coupe platform mate maybe slightly larger than the concept60 with room for 4 fullsize adults that could actually take a enjoyable roadtrip. I really still feel the new Impala is okay, but I really have a funny feeling the EPII Impala is just a teporary fix since it has been stated that the XTS was a band-aid for Caddy, and there where already a ZETA Buick, Caddy, and Chevy Ready to go until the BK. Also I don't believe what GM Chevy states about the 2014 Impala because of its Price, Engines, no fleet sales, no police sales, no AWD, and size will not help this car be a sales success as the current Impala (I bet almost half of the sales are gone). Thus it will be no need for the Impala and the FWD sedan will be covered with the Malibu, then Cruze, Volt, CUV's, Sonic, and Spark (or heck they can keep it, either way). Plus we could have the 130r, Camaro/Commie, Super Coupe/UTE/Wagon/Caprice, Vette and Give Buick maybe the Park Avenue, and a Commie Sedan/wagon, and then Give Caddy a Luxury Super Coupe, and a Fleetwood (Caprice)...Since Chevy is 60-70% of GM anyway it should be so, then after sales began to come back then maybe a restart of Pontiac, and Hummer as one brand together...Pontiac will have a Firebird, (G8) Commie, Bonneville (Caprice), Solstice, 130r Variant, then Hummer with H1-H2-H3-H4, and a H5 (dunebuggy).

#51 ·

The 'chops are as good as any you've done before Monaro, but coupes (even for only Oz) are not quite such hot sellers right now. While I would no doubt want one, it wouldn't be imported by GM NA (like the Ute, :mad:). For the rest of the globe, GM wants the Camaro to be the top coupe (with some seats in the back). The recent announcement of the Corvette being sold in South Korea shows where GM's allegiance is.

#53 ·
Re: (New Nomad SS) VF Monaro SS - thus Chevy SS Coupe?

These coupes are compelling. At this point, four door sedans join black interiors as things I'm sick to death of when it comes to cars. Don't bother me with an extra pair of doors if someone else who is six feet tall can't sit behind me without having his knees in my back.

I like either the VF/coupe 60 coupe or the Caprice based coupe, just make mine Imperial Blue...

#59 ·
Re: (New Caprice Coupe RS) VF Monaro SS - thus Chevy SS Coupe?

Buddy Can You Please--Please _please------Do the Gm Full size trucks and the new escalade and Tahoe----please--I love your work--ummmmmmmmmm--Pleaase--Does that still work in todays world--please show me it does---you rock man

#60 ·

And like every other thread where MonaroSS shows us his awesome skills and imagination, our pleas fall on deaf ears at GM. Why do we torture ourselves? GM doesn't have the guts or know-how to bring us any coupe other than a Camaro right now. They are probably scrapping next gen CTS coupe plans as we speak as well.

Can anybody here get the message through to them? If you can pull some strings do it please.

#62 ·

And like every other thread where MonaroSS shows us his awesome skills and imagination, our pleas fall on deaf ears at GM. Why do we torture ourselves? GM doesn't have the guts or know-how to bring us any coupe other than a Camaro right now. They are probably scrapping next gen CTS coupe plans as we speak as well.

Can anybody here get the message through to them? If you can pull some strings do it please.
Ed Welburn said "Wow...." and some other things.... :D

;)

#67 ·

I think they should reintroduce a holden coupe like this , I don't know how many monaros sold in Australia and nz last time they tried but it was a good image car. It was a mistake to try and sell it as a gto in the states without restyling it or at least making it like some of the hsv versions I saw around here which looked way better than the one offered in the states.

#95 ·
Re: (New Pillarless Caprice Coupe) VF Monaro SS - thus Chevy SS Coupe?

I think they should reintroduce a holden coupe like this , I don't know how many monaros sold in Australia and nz last time they tried but it was a good image car. It was a mistake to try and sell it as a gto in the states without restyling it or at least making it like some of the hsv versions I saw around here which looked way better than the one offered in the states.
11,000 all up in OZ and NZ.. nearly 50000 when the Pontiac GTO, Chev Lumina coupes and Vauuhall Monaros were added in.

And I may as well wind down the windows...

;)
Yep this is what I wanted.. I can see the roof has been shortened and deck lengthened just enough to give it a true coupe balance. Bless you, MonaroSS...

#69 ·

Monaro is it anyway to make the wheels Spin, and take away the B-Pilar and make it a true Glass house with rear windows the optiong to be rolled up and down...

#73 ·

Darling! Where have you been all my life?

I'm in love! <3 :hyper:

#74 ·

I quite like this. I still think Buick needs it a lot more than Chevy, but it looks classy and expensive. I wonder if it would be a hit as boomers (the ones who could actually afford a big coupe) may be tired of sedans and CUVs. It looks enough like a Mercedes CL that it could be a bargain even at $50k.

#76 · (Edited)

Sometimes, simple looks more elegant!

Your coupes with a simple side trim and the Holden or Chevy front clip have the right proportions and flow of body lines to be sales successes. I like the roof lines with great all around visibility. They look like a million bucks. Of course, they would have to have a comparable interior, simple but elegant.

The coupes with the more aggressive side trim and agressive front clips are great too, but I believe that Chevy should focus on the volume sales a simple and beautiful design (Impala) would bring, saving the aggressive trims for the SS model. It's a winner both ways.

#79 ·

I somehow missed this thread, and then my internet connection was on the fritz and I couldn't respond... but I just wanted to say: wow, does that ever work and work well! Beautiful work! Please give yourself a pat on the back from me.

#81 ·

Given the front above is a bit aggressive, here's a little more elegant one to go with the elegant profile..

And I've made it pillarless too..

;)
All I can say is Ed build this they will come....

I say call it the the Chevy Caprice SC.....SC for Super Coupe....either bumper looks great to me, maybe the more aggresive fascia could be the ZF-1 Edition like the ZL-1, ZR-1!

#93 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.