GM Inside News Forum banner

(COLORS - Caprice Coupe) VF Monaro SS - thus Chevy SS Coupe?

103K views 105 replies 52 participants last post by  camaro_freak 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Should Holden do a VF Monaro
- thus Chevy SS Coupe?

Discuss this article further at our Chevy SS Forum

Op-Ed by MonaroSS
GMI Contributor – 1 May 2012

Just a quick one this time. If I were Holden and knew the VF was Zeta's last hurrah, I would do a Gen 4 Monaro. I mean the Gen 3 was late in that platform’s cycle and was only intended to run a few years. It was created to only run small production numbers. So if the Gen 3 was justifiable then, surely a Gen 4 is justifiable now.....

The thing is that they start so much further ahead than when the Gen 3 Monaro/Pontiac GTO was created. For a start a lot of the design work has already been done on Coupe 60. And unlike Gen 3 Monaro, a Gen 4 has an instant export market in that Chevrolet can simply add an SS Coupe to the SS Performance Sedan.

Now some may say it would eat into Camaro sales but I say not if they keep numbers limited, and it's styling and 5 place seating would appeal more to a BMW 3 Coupe buyer demographic...

EDIT: New Caprice Coupe RS, Monaro SS, Chevy SS Coupe & Chevy Nomad SS

Click to Enlarge

Click to Enlarge

;)

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Should Holden do a VF Monaro - thus Chevy SS Coupe?

The Monaro has been what's missing in the line up. My CV8Z is an awsome car and still going strong. It should never have been exported as a GTO the styling was rather vague and well to be honest had big boots to fill in that nameplate. I believe it would have been better marketed under the bowtie badge and if it had there would have been a VE based 2 door. View attachment 11055

#6 ·

The spoilers I agree mine had one when I bought it but I had it removed asap can't stand spoilers. As for the Vents on the bonnet I thought they worked on the CV8Z. I think what makes them tacky is now they have turned up on everymans commodore from fibrglass VS bonnets thru to and It is sad to say but some one did this to a VE around here. Gives me a chuckle every time
It would have been ok if they left it alone

Monaro had classic lines with no spoilers or any tacky vents

Then they ruined it

#4 ·

^^^ That's why I kept the lines of this chop clean, just giving the Chevy SS version a little more aggression in the front clip - which could be shared with HSV.

Monaro styling is simple pure and classic GT proportions... Although I do like the small Gen 1 bonnet/hood vents...

;)

#5 ·

^^^ That's why I kept the lines of this chop clean, just giving the Chevy SS version a little more aggression in the front clip - which could be shared with HSV.

Monaro styling is simple pure and classic GT proportions... Although I do like the small Gen 1 bonnet/hood vents...

;)
Awesome chop....... now what about just a pinch lower - esp in the rear. Rear shot full width tailights - I can picture it now.

#7 ·

You seem to do a few chop shots. Was wondering what a VF might look like assuming they put a 2014 impala front on it. I have heard somewhere about think impala front styling and cruze ish rear?
. Although the more I look at the impala the more it grows on me but for the fact it's front wheel drive.

#9 · (Edited)

You seem to do a few chop shots. Was wondering what a VF might look like assuming they put a 2014 impala front on it. I have heard somewhere about think impala front styling and cruze ish rear?
. Although the more I look at the impala the more it grows on me but for the fact it's front wheel drive.

;)

#12 ·

You do realize that this would essentially be what the current Camaro is since it is already on the Zeta platform. Once it is on the Alpha platform and it shrinks there could be room for a larger 5th gen or SS coupe.

#39 · (Edited)

You do realize that this would essentially be what the current Camaro is since it is already on the Zeta platform. Once it is on the Alpha platform and it shrinks there could be room for a larger 5th gen or SS coupe.
The idea of a VF Coupe is a good one, but I am one that thinks it will erode the sales of the Camaro. Do it as a Buick, a reborn Riveria, The Buick car line is only 3 models strong and really needs a range topper. A 4 place personal luxury coupe would fill the bill nicely
Nice but not an improvement on the Camaro.
Nice designs MonaroSS. :) Could we something other than in BORING silver though. ;)

As I said though, GM is too gutless to even think about it. If its not a CUV or a FWD sedan they are basically clueless. (Exluding Camaro and CTS coupe)
Agreed.

Holden has a knack for doing cars with V8/RWD platforms that appeal to American muscle car enthusiasts, but conservative styling that appeals more to European auto enthusiasts. A small minority of us (me) like both, but not enough for GM to take a chance. The conservative styling of the Coupe 60 would fit better into the Buick line-up than Chevy, and might attract customers beyond the suburban soccer moms that their current line-up appeals to. Then, they wouldn't need Shaq and Ving Rhames to convince men how desirable their cars are.
Of course this car would not be intended to primarily appeal to the US market. It would literally be the last design done by Holden for Australians. Given that what we have been told is true, that Holden will become Chevy Australia and only have 'world cars' from the end of VF, they would be able to sell these as the last real Holden Monaro for a very high profit margin in OZ. That would make it a profitable case in it's home market alone, just as the Gen 3 was done, before Lutz saw it and decided to keep the program going beyond it's design life and export them to the US as GTO's.

It would not be attempting to be an 'improvement' on Camaro, or even appeal to the people who like Camaro's. As spidge says, and why the chop is in a boring silver, the color of most BMW coupes, it is a Euro conservative style large coupe because that is what Australians like. It would be a by-product for it to be exported to a few (GM says just 1,000 per year for the sedan, add another 1,000 for the coupe) Americans who also like this type of vehicle...

;)

#13 ·

No, forget the VF design language. They need to take the Coupe 60 and put it into production. The only way it would happen is if GM stumped up the funds, because all it would really need for it to become a production reality was the funds for different body panels. It would still be Zeta underneath and use Commodore interiors and basic drivetrains. Its a dream i know but if GM wants to revive sales of Holden downunder we need a Halo car that ISNT the Volt.

#15 · (Edited)

Monte Carlo sounds like Monaro! However I'm hoping they make something worthy of the Chevelle name. This is heading in the right direction.

#16 ·

The idea of a VF Coupe is a good one, but I am one that thinks it will erode the sales of the Camaro. Do it as a Buick, a reborn Riveria, The Buick car line is only 3 models strong and really needs a range topper. A 4 place personal luxury coupe would fill the bill nicely

#33 ·

Agreed.

Holden has a knack for doing cars with V8/RWD platforms that appeal to American muscle car enthusiasts, but conservative styling that appeals more to European auto enthusiasts. A small minority of us (me) like both, but not enough for GM to take a chance. The conservative styling of the Coupe 60 would fit better into the Buick lineup than Chevy, and might attract customers beyond the suburban soccer moms that their current lineup appeals to. Then, they wouldn't need Shaq and Ving Rhames to convince men how desirable their cars are.

#17 ·

Yes please. GM doesn't have the cajones to do it though.

#19 ·

I like it, but fear it's so conservative that it almost looks dated already. I also agree a sharp but conservatively styled coupe might make a great Buick, though I'm not sure this screams 'Riviera' ... Buick Monaro has a nice ring to it though. Give it a V8 and all to modcons, a great leather interior and you'd give Buick something unique in the mid 40k range.

#22 · (Edited)

I always looked at Pontiac's last GTO as a pony car and not the midsize muscle car that the name implies. Had GM sold that 2+2 as a Chevy Camaro or maybe even a Pontiac Trans Am it would've probably done much better. This SS cop looks great with terrific lines and proportions. I'd love to see it in bright red with twin black hood/roof/trunk stripes. To be an SS it needs a cowl induction hood and I wouldn't mind a wing spoiler - nothing too large. Yes, I'm still hooked on the Chevelle name. I don't see this car eating into Camaro sales as long as it is a true 5-seater with a bigger trunk. I also wouldn't mind if Chevy sold V6 models as the Chevelle LT and LTZ along side the SS model.

#24 ·

offer it as a sedan only, and there's no overlapping with the camaro. i'm not a fan of large coupes - why have big back seats, and difficult entry/exit?

the a-pillar back reminds me of the mustang.

i love the impala nose. overall, it still has a raised 4x4 feel. i'd like the rear end to be a little tighter, with sharper creases. perhaps rear wheel flares to add some interest to the back half.

#41 ·

offer it as a sedan only, and there's no overlapping with the camaro. i'm not a fan of large coupes - why have big back seats, and difficult entry/exit?...
Because, for the most part it's just me in my vehicle and I want a bigger, stylish coupe that can hold as many as three adults in the back seat and real luggage in the trunk rather than a small and low pony car. For me, a sedan is rarely (if ever) as good looking as a coupe. I have a second vehicle as my family car. Since I drive and the others ride in back, if they want a lift they'll have to deal with the very minor inconvenience of climbing in back of a roomy coupe. BFD. I WANT A BIG COUPE.

#26 ·

This has the best balance. Phenomenal work!

Any rear 3/4 views?

The name Chevelle would be a perfect fit for this car.
This! I Love it!! A Perfect car to compliment my Corvette. Yes, I would buy one.

#28 ·

I have a big poster of the Coupe 60 signed by one of the designers I nearly cried when they said they weren't going to make it I wanted one so bad.

#30 ·

Nice designs MonaroSS. :) Could we something other than in BORING silver though. ;)

As I said though, GM is too gutless to even think about it. If its not a CUV or a FWD sedan they are basically clueless. (Exluding Camaro and CTS coupe)

#34 ·

I agree - limited numbers and aimed squarely at the GT-class of hi-po road rockets. Nice interior and amenities, good space inside (vs. Camaro) and classic CLEAN lines with a beast under the hood - it would sell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.