Cadillac's S-Class Fighter Sedan? (new 4-Door Coupe) - Page 5

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Cadillac's S-Class Fighter Sedan? (new 4-Door Coupe)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Re: Cadillac's S-Class Fighter Sedan? (new 4-Door Coupe)

The new Cadillac is truly stunning and world class.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Bonneville SLE

B-E-A-U-tiful! we need more true pillar-less coupes!!

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Ci2Eye's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    BMW and GMC

I think Elmarij looks great but the shape doesn't make the transisition to sedan very well. The later chops are much better with a more formal appearance.

I wouldn't expect suicide doors but perhaps the version with thicker c-pillars but with smaller wheels (18 v 22) might be closer to what to expect in a production car. Although Cadillac has adopted a decidedly more sporty design language, I would still expect their premium sedan to look more like a Mercedes than an Audi which means no six window sedan with a super raked backlight.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

I like nearly all of your chops and applaud your skill at these renderings. Especially the pillarless 4 door. Which one do you like best, and which one do you think is closest to what Cadillac. Has in store for us?

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

Re: Cadillac's S-Class Fighter Sedan?

Quote Originally Posted by MonaroSS View Post

That's it! You are truly an artist. I hope someone at GM has been thinking along the same lines as you and everyone else at GMI

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 sfbreh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,020 Times in 1,183 Posts

Maybe it's so large so the metal roof can fold down into it....

The lights are the new type Caddy are playing with...

Or you mean, the new type they're playing with in your world.

Elmiraj, Ciel, ELR, all three have the same kind of taillight. ATS, XTS, and the new CTS have a less exaggerated form of that light. The CTS coupe has a similar light to the first three mentioned.

If it's so large so the metal roof can fold down into it, they should redesign the mechanism for the roof or shorten the cabin to shrink the roof, because the long deck significantly inhibits the coupe-like profile and sportiness of it.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2002 Silverado Z71

A Peak At What Could Be Cadillac's Flagship
    August 20th, 2013
    by MonaroSS

The simple fact is that the sneak peak “Glamour Concept” is a totally different car from the Elmiraj Concept. Think about it. Elmiraj is a sporty car they say is aimed at younger people, would you ever have described such a car as “glamorous”? And what happened to the “Glamour” title at the Elmiraj showing? Was GM describing it as glamorous, in keeping with their pre-launch hype? No.

I suggest that the real concept that was to be launched at Pebble Beach was to test reaction to the Über Rolls fighter Omega+. But when that got iced, GM Design had to scramble for a replacement. They had a nice sketch and probably 3D designs of an Omega Coupe and with their new rapid prototyping equipment that can create a production ready looking static concept in a week if they had to.

You will notice that sketch has many frontal elements similar to Ciel and simply advances them on. I suspect Elmiraj is a coupe version of the Omega sedan but with some changes made. What changes might they be? Well for a start it had to comport somewhat with the sneak peak pics. Most people, other than someone like myself who studied those pics in minute detail, would not notice the changes at the front. But even ordinary people would notice the rear lights being different. You will notice that Elmiraj has rear lights that are similar to the sneak peak pic, but the original sketch has totally different lights. In fact everything about the rear of the sketch has been changed on Elmiraj. The rear lights on the original sketch are more developments of the CTS rear lights as it appears at Cadillac from 2014 CTS and this sketch that they want to move away from the rear lights that roll up and along the rear fender top.

However, because the sneak peak pic has that type of lights GM Design had to do a quick tail swap on the Elmiraj. And that is likely why some people think the rear looks a bit iffy, like it is too short or just looks off a bit. And that is why the rear looks nothing like the original sketch rear. Well that’s my ‘suggestion’ based on a likely scenario when "Glamour" got pulled.
    Quote Originally Posted by sfbreh View Post
    Theory on the Glamour concept...

It was still in its inception when they previewed it, and the design wasn't finalized yet. Hence the discrepancies.
    MonaroSS, the evidence actually shows sfbreh is likely closer to the truth. Every concept car has a design evolution behind it, and as with any design that sees the light of day in a showroom, there are certain details of a car design that are done in many ways. Some parts make it to sheetmetal, others don't. And quite often, a discarded part of a design ion one model winds up being perfect on another. There are more instances of this happening in car design than You or I can count (even the front end on the Crown Vic police cars were a throwaway design idea on the SN95 Mustang). As you point out some design elements on the Concept car and the pictures are different. But still, you can see the evolution and the drawings are clearly of a Cadillac coupe. Also consider that GM never shows every mockup it creates to the public (or even some of them), and that's about the farthest the car you are calling "Glamour" would have gotten (if even that far along). It was most likely either a clay or 3D rendering that was reviewed, not an actual concept car.

Another thing to consider is that Cadillac's "halo" model will come out after the volume model on that platform. The Omega is closer to production, and it's a couple years away. About the right time to start locking in design elements. Since the Camaro, GM has been relying more on the opinions from those invited to view design ideas in private and/or feedback from public displays than on marketing clinics. The Elmiraj is doing just that. Whether this car will actually be a 2 door version of a sedan when it hits showrooms, or only a sedan, you're almost certainly getting a view of the upcoming "Omega" Cadillac.

Finally, it takes an unbelievably long time to create a concept car, and it's expensive. If you want it to roll under it's own power and be durable enough for people to climb in and out of regularly, you're talking a lot more money and a lot more time. If I'm not mistaken, GM decided against the proposed "Halo" Cadillac only about a month or so ago. I'd be willing to bet shop started on the car 2-3 months ago, and more if it spent time at GM design center before being shipped out here (it was designed here in California, but the car was made in Michigan).

One final item. The "halo" Cadillac was rejected because of cost versus return on expenditures. It was supposed to cost over $100,000 and be aimed at Bentley, so it's safe to assume it would have been more than just some additional bling on a regular sedan, it would have be quite dramatic looking. Like you, that would have been a car I would love to see....even if it wasn't headed for production.

......BTW.....your photo alterations are AWESOME!

6.0 Liter L76 V8 Premium Member CaddyLac10's Avatar
    Thanks

I know Monaro is doing a great job trying some different looks with some existing images but I think it looks way too formal and vanilla. It works for the Elmiraj because it maintains the round, coupe roof and the tapered rear gives it a front forward design that conveys power and stoutness up front. Flattening the roof line with the extended rear doesn't give it a sleek and modern look.

When the sedan comes out it will be a couple years from now and it will have to hold past 2020 with some minor exterior changes. Cadillacs are supposed to become bolder as you move up. This would be the most conservative Cadillac out.

I really hope we see something closer to the XJ with a coupe-like roof-line. It doesn't need a big, extended trunk visually to have a lot of trunk room. I'd love to see a chop of Omega utilizing the profile of the Impala with RWD proportions.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

The almost notchback c-pillar one looks the best. It makes the car looks more stately. It gives the car a grand presence of a Bentley Mulsanne or Rolls Royce Ghost. With a width of 76inches, it works!

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

OK, as I said in the Elmiraj thread if GM didn't build it I'd go right through the front doors of the RenCen, take the elevator to the top floor, and bitch slap everyone I see.

Now, if Caddy does not get this sedan or a very similar one to it into production as a bona fide S-class fighter, I will bitch slap them first, then give them a noggie.

Thanks
    My Ride
    1996 Buick Riviera

So you think GM would schedule the showing of a car before they even did the final design drawings?

My theory is that design sketches are history by time they are making dates to show the vehicle.

I doubt they would say, "lets sneak peak these drawings before we sign off on the design". That's not how GM works. It’s not how any car company works.

Interestingly the higher front fender ridgeline on the "Glamour", which created that deep V, would make it look more like a Bentley with it's raised fender ridgeline...

When I see that fender crease, I immediately think to the 8th gen Riviera, which I own. Aside from the creased hood, it sparks the image of the 95-99 Riv.

Present Rides: 1996 Buick Riviera, 176,000 Miles
    Past Rides: 1995 Pontiac Trans Sport 210,000 Miles

Buick, The American Riviera.
    Updated: 9-3-2014

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I love the Elmiraj concept! I think it is more than just do-able (including a 4-door).

GMI Contributor
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 96RIV View Post
    When I see that fender crease, I immediately think to the 8th gen Riviera, which I own. Aside from the creased hood, it sparks the image of the 95-99 Riv.

Yes that is the type of look it would have in the light of day, perhaps even more pronounced. Maybe when they sent the camera crew to take a sneak snap of the Elmiraj it was off at the paintshop, so they just took a candid shot of it's twin Riviera Concept mock-up...

No reason the Elmiraj could not have an alterantively skinned V6TT Riviera sister vehicle to spread costs over...

Thanks

Aye I think the sedan version of this would be spectacular, not a fan of coupes.
    "If you truly wanted to save the environment, you would live in it, not on it." --KG

"Show me how to live, and I'll teach you how to die." --KG

Future President of The United States.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Wolfn99's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2005 Ford Focus ZX3

Quote Originally Posted by bmwboy2007 View Post
    This could be an interesting development.. That's fascinating work, Monarro SS

What do you think about adding the "V" symbol with the shield crest? I did that quick chop below.

Love it. Distinctive and futuristic.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information