Cadillac's S-Class Fighter Sedan? (new 4-Door Coupe)

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cadillac's S-Class Fighter Sedan? (new 4-Door Coupe)

GMI Contributor
    Thanks

Cadillac's S-Class Fighter Sedan? (new 4-Door Coupe)

A Peak At What Could Be Cadillac's Flagship
    August 20th, 2013
    by MonaroSS

We know Cadillac has an Omega sedan on the way to take on the might of the Benz S-Class and the other Germans. But with the release of the Elmiraj Concept people are asking, "Is this a sign of what we can expect?" Well that is an interesting question and there is a mystery to be resolved before we can understand the answer to that…

We heard several weeks back that Cadillac was cancelling or freezing a car that sits above the Omega S-Class fighter, let’s call it Omega+. It was a surprise that GM was seriously working on a vehicle to take on Rolls and Bentley. However, because I believe the sneak peak “Glamour Concept” was not the Elmiraj, I’ll explain why later, I think we can work out what Elmiraj does tell us about future Cadillac direction.

Click to Enlarge

Whatever Happened to
    The Glamour Concept?

We may have just all seen the Elmiraj shown at Pebble Beach, but somewhere hidden at GM Design there is still another vehicle we have not yet seen called the Glamour Concept. I'm guessing it's showing at Pebble Beach was cancelled when GM cancelled the Rolls-Royce fighting Uber Sedan we never knew existed until it was cancelled or put on ice.

Let me walk you through it. If you check the sneak peak pics below you can easily see that the car in the pic is not the Elmiraj, not even an earlier version of it. The original Elmiraj sketch is provided by Cadillac and we see below that the thin metal strip running from the lower side window-line forward along the hood shut-line and under the grille is on the original sketch and is on the Elmiraj Concept. But it is not on the sneak peak. We can see the front window corner on the original sketch is a sharp angle, as is the Elmiraj Concept, but the sneak peak pic has a curve up at the corner. The original sketch shows a flat central hood section, as is the case with the final car we have been shown, but the sneak peak has a recessed scallop dipping down from the inner side of the hood crease line.

We can also see that the sketch has light tubes reaching back along the top of the front fender, as has the Elmiraj Concept, but the sneak peak pic does not. But most obvious difference is that the original sketch and the final concept we have been shown have flat tops of the fenders extending out from the hood shut-line. The sneak peak pic has a deep V valley with the shut-line at the bottom of that valley.

The simple fact is that the sneak peak “Glamour Concept” is a totally different car from the Elmiraj Concept. Think about it. Elmiraj is a sporty car they say is aimed at younger people, would you ever have described such a car as “glamorous”? And what happened to the “Glamour” title at the Elmiraj showing? Was GM describing it as glamorous, in keeping with their pre-launch hype? No.

I suggest that the real concept that was to be launched at Pebble Beach was to test reaction to the Über Rolls fighter Omega+. But when that got iced, GM Design had to scramble for a replacement. They had a nice sketch and probably 3D designs of an Omega Coupe and with their new rapid prototyping equipment that can create a production ready looking static concept in a week if they had to.

You will notice that sketch has many frontal elements similar to Ciel and simply advances them on. I suspect Elmiraj is a coupe version of the Omega sedan but with some changes made. What changes might they be? Well for a start it had to comport somewhat with the sneak peak pics. Most people, other than someone like myself who studied those pics in minute detail, would not notice the changes at the front. But even ordinary people would notice the rear lights being different. You will notice that Elmiraj has rear lights that are similar to the sneak peak pic, but the original sketch has totally different lights. In fact everything about the rear of the sketch has been changed on Elmiraj. The rear lights on the original sketch are more developments of the CTS rear lights as it appears at Cadillac from 2014 CTS and this sketch that they want to move away from the rear lights that roll up and along the rear fender top.

However, because the sneak peak pic has that type of lights GM Design had to do a quick tail swap on the Elmiraj. And that is likely why some people think the rear looks a bit iffy, like it is too short or just looks off a bit. And that is why the rear looks nothing like the original sketch rear. Well that’s my ‘suggestion’ based on a likely scenario when "Glamour" got pulled.

Click to Enlarge

So what can all this tell us if true? Well I think it tells us that in the Elmiraj we may be seeing the basis of the new Omega sedan. But then most people have speculated that. However, I think there is a chance that when the Omega sedan shows up it may be wearing taillights more like below, and similar to the rear of the sketch. I think they would also have held back on the front grille, which is in all likelihood going to be a further development of the 2014 CTS grille.

Who knows what the real “Glamour Concept” looks like – we may never know – other than comments it was ‘too similar to Omega’. And the Omega+ vehicle will probably get a new design if it is ever revived anyway. But I think the overall shape of the vehicle we see IS the new Omega, and it is really, in its shape, probably just a production version of the Ciel body shape.

And what about Elmiraj? Will we see this coupe make production?

Well Cadillac are saying it's 'do-able', but then so too are coupe versions of all GM cars. And we know the history of GM making coupes. I think the Eldorado Mirage may have been a tongue in cheek name for this last minute concept replacement. I think we will one day see a coupe to go along with the new Omega sedan, but not any time soon. Cadillac needs an ATS coupe badly, and that should be a priority. Then a new CTS coupe - perhaps looking a lot like the Elmiraj, but with shorter doors, as those long monsters on the Elmiraj would never work in European car parks.

But yes, after the Omega sedan is out and has built a following, then Cadillac definitely need a large Omega coupe. I just think styling will have moved on by time that happens - so it would be a much updated version of Elmiraj, or a new design altogether...

Click to Enlarge

An alternate rear door and roofline...

A traditional Limo roofline...

For those who like to be driven...

A four door coupe...

Last edited by MonaroSS; 09-05-2013 at 08:23 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Re: Cadillac's S-Class Fighter Sedan?

Its amazing...........!
    O

M

G

An S-class would have nothing on this

Thanks

This could be an interesting development.. That's fascinating work, Monarro SS

What do you think about adding the "V" symbol with the shield crest? I did that quick chop below.

Last edited by bmwboy2007; 08-19-2013 at 01:47 PM.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 GMFAN85's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think the Elmiraj is some last minute, thrown-together concept. I think it's a concept that is well thought-out and looks far closer to reality than the Glamour concept(from what little we could see) appeared to be. The exaggerated fenders and the bat mobile inspired back end looked far more retro than current designs from Cadillac. Do you think that maybe the The Glamour and The Elmiraj may have been competing designs with two different interpretations of A&S 2.0 and the Elmiraj won out? I'm more inclined to believe that.

Thanks

Nice as hell!!!
    IF IT AINT RWD; AND A CHEVY I DONT RIDE IT!!!!!

ALL CHEVY'S NEED TO BE RWD!!!!!

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I see your point and absolutely agree. Cadillac's goal should be the S-class fighter... Then maybe a coupe to go with it but that shouldn't be a priority. Then once the S-class fighter is due for a change, they can work on Rolls/Bentley competitor but I would want to see a supercar before I see that.
    -ZaC-
    Life, Liberty and The Pursuit

GMI Contributor
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GMFAN85 View Post
    I don't think the Elmiraj is some last minute, thrown-together concept. I think it's a concept that is well thought-out and looks far closer to reality than the Glamour concept(from what little we could see) appeared to be. The exaggerated fenders and the bat mobile inspired back end looked far more retro than current designs from Cadillac. Do you think that maybe the The Glamour and The Elmiraj may have been competing designs with two different interpretations of A&S 2.0 and the Elmiraj won out? I'm more inclined to believe that.
    I would not say "thrown together" as it was probably already being developed. But I think turning it into the Pebble Beach concept was a faster affair. I don't think GM would be testing the new Omega sedan styling with a concept like this. I think they are fully committed and it is not too far away. I think the 'test' was going to be the Omega+ styling, which as we know they pulled the plug on as they decided it needed work to distance itself from Omega.

So I don't think the two designs were competing, they were for different markets. But the Omega+/Glamour just wasn't good enough for its market yet...

Thanks

You were right!! Thank You!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MonaroSS View Post
    I already have and it looks spectacular...
    http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...ml#post2901898

How about a convertible of the Elmiraj Coupe?

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MonaroSS View Post
    I would not say "thrown together" as it was probably already being developed. But I think turning it into the Pebble Beach concept was a faster affair. I don't think GM would be testing the new Omega sedan styling with a concept like this. I think they are fully committed and it is not too far away. I think the 'test' was going to be the Omega+ styling, which as we know they pulled the plug on as they decided it needed work to distance itself from Omega.

So I don't think the two designs were competing, they were for different markets. But the Omega+/Glamour just wasn't good enough for its market yet...

They could of made both full mock-ups and just didn't see the extra Pizzaz from the RR fighter and decided to go with the Elmiraj

Thanks

I think your chops make the Elmiraj look amazing as a sedan! However, a lot of the angularity and aggressiveness of the Ciel's front end have disappeared, so... Maybe the LTS will look substantially softer than the Ciel? Hope not; hope the front and rear sketches are better indications of what to expect.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar LetsRace's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Grand Prix GT

That's fantastic Monaro! I if it looks anything like that we have a winner.

GMI Contributor
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dslay04 View Post
    They could of made both full mock-ups and just didn't see the extra Pizzaz from the RR fighter and decided to go with the Elmiraj
    Actually if you check out the video below at 35:00 minute mark you can see a Styrofoam ATS and how easy and real they can make them. But at the 27:30 you can see how real the digital mock-ups are so good they don't make real mock-ups until they need them.

Last edited by MonaroSS; 08-19-2013 at 12:32 PM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 sfbreh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,391 Times in 835 Posts

Theory on the Glamour concept...

It was still in its inception when they previewed it, and the design wasn't finalized yet. Hence the discrepancies.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Mentat Bashar's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Accord Coupe' V6 6spd

Interesting. I like the profile of the sedan.

I think you addressed this point in your write up but did GM ever once refer to Elmiraj as the Glamour Concept at the reveal or after?

Can you apply your sleuthing skills to tell us where Bigfoot is? j/k
    "I do not care about inequality because I'm not envious. I care about poverty."

Apostrophes: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apostrophe

Spelling: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=163843

Quote Originally Posted by Martha Quinn;
    It's like a DeLorean...an audio DeLorean.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabara Airport;
    The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of Dreamlifter cargo only, there is no stopping in the red zone.

Thanks

Very interesting. I like.

I like the 'power dome' feature on the hood. Kind of a subtle heritage feature IMO.
    2007 Volvo S60R
    2005 Audi A4 Quattro 2.0T
    1999 BMW 328i Convertible
    1998 Ford Explorer Sport

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information