GM Inside News Forum banner

Caddy Ciel meets Next CTS Sedan, Aerocoupe & Convertible (56k warning)

15K views 64 replies 44 participants last post by  XP300 
#1 · (Edited)
Caddy Ciel
meets
Next CTS Sedan,
Aerocoupe & Convertible

Op-Ed by MonaroSS
GMI Contributor – 8 February 2012

Below we see the Cadillac Ciel Concept (who can see how I changed the front?) and following we have renderings of what the next generation CTS range may look like if we stretched the ATS body and grafted the Ciel front onto it.

Click to Enlarge

The ATS Coupe delay and the next CTS have been quite the topic here of late and I wanted to show people how a next generation CTS might be based on the ATS surface treatments (this chop is done from the ATS picture below), and yet be distinct in and of itself from the ATS. This can produce a car that, while having the simple elegant lines that would please European tastes, can add the drama of the Ciel frontal treatment and the now traditional Cadillac rear finned vertical taillights.

To that end I have chopped the Ciel lights and formal squared off front treatment, which I believe is an indication of where Cadillac may head, onto a stretched ATS body. Even though GM has said it will not build the Ciel, you don't release such a Concept for no reason. I think it was well enough received that Cadillac will no doubt integrate some of it's design into the future Cadillac line-up. The face of the Ciel may not be what the very next generation CTS looks like, but it may be somewhere between the ATS and the Ciel; and then an MCE and perhaps release of a CTS Coupe could see more Ciel influence applied to the CTS range.

As can be seen below in the comparison picture, applying the Ciel lights and stance means reducing the wedge profile of the ATS and lengthening the trunk. This squares off the sedan when compared with the wedgy ATS. However, I especially wanted a long tailed fastback look for the Aerocoupe, even if some here may wish it had a foot lopped off it, because that distinct half teardrop of the greenhouse leading down to a Kammback, (named for Wunibald Kamm the 1930’s German aerodynamicist who invented it) would be a defining look for the Coupe in the market place. That long tail also adds great stability at high speeds by moving the centre of pressure rearward and considerably behind the centre of mass. And in saying that, the long-tail look of the Coupe is enhanced even more by a wheelbase that is 2 inches longer than the sedans, due to the front wheels being pushed forward (as indeed BMW have done with the 3-Series Coupe at times) for a very small front overhang.

So the CTS Aerocoupe & Convertible only share one panel, the alloy hood/bonnet, with the sedan. Marketing and price-wise the Aerocoupe & Convertible sits closer to the Omega flagship than the Alpha CTS Sedan, even though they also are on Alpha. Benz similarly has their premium Coupe/Convertibles based on the next platform down to offset some of the production costs. One added benefit of the long trunk is this makes for a Coupe and Convertible capable of taking two couples and their entire luggage for a weekend away. Be it a fast trip from London to Monaco, Berlin to the Adriatic yachting grounds on the Croatian Coast, New York to Charleston, or LA to Monterey. The level of luxury and quality in the Aerocoupe and Convertible would be the highest yet seen in a Cadillac, making it a vehicle that, while not as pricey, could be cross shopped with the Bentley Continental and Maserati Gran Turismo Coupe/Convertibles. BTW, for those who find the large chrome V8 badge and chrome wheels less than elegant, don’t worry they are part of the optional ‘rapper and professional athlete bling package’. :D Can’t ignore that market either…

Click to Enlarge

As can be seen above, the new CTS Aerocoupe dwarfs the current CTS Coupe, which effectively is replaced by the ATS Coupe. It has 2 inches more headroom front and back and 4 inches more legroom in front, with 6 inches more legroom in back and an inch more shoulder room. The role of the CTS Aerocoupe becomes luxury 4-place GT. Luggage volume is more than doubled, even allowing for space reserved for batteries under the trunk for e-assist and hybrid models.

My wish list for engines across the range include e-assist 3.6V6, 3.0V6-Hybrid, 2.9V6 TDI, 3.0TTV6, and the CTS-V gets three unique-to-Cadillac engines, depending upon which market it is sold in, of: 3.4TTV6, 6.4V8 and 5.0 QuadTurboV8.

NEW ATS SEDAN
Wheelbase 109.3 in
Length 182.8 in
Width 71.1 in
Height 55.9 in

NEW CTS COUPE & SEDAN
Wheelbase 119 in Wheelbase 117 in (sedan)
Length 204.2 in Length 203.0 in (sedan)
Width 74 in Width 74 in (sedan)
Height 58 in Height 60.5 in (sedan)

OLD CTS COUPE & SEDAN
Wheelbase 113.4 in Wheelbase 113.4(sedan)
Length 188.5 in Length 191.6 in (sedan)
Width 74.1 in Width 72.5 in (sedan)
Height 55.9 in Height 58 in (sedan)

Click to Enlarge

An obvious theme in this Commentary on the CTS Cadillac is color. The reason I produced so many variations, and I have many more, is that Cadillac needs to bring back color to the automobile market. In a day and age where you can take any colored article into your local hardware store and have a computer matched color tint made for house paint, GM needs to devise a means for the available choice of any color paint the customer wants. Include with that a wide range of colored leather and choices of top colors for the Convertible and the word bespoke can be spoken in the same sentence as Cadillac again – forgive the pun. But seriously the whole auto industry needs to rediscover color like in the 50’s and 60’s.

For any destination that is under half a Continent away, the CTS Aerocoupe and Convertible needs be a vehicle that entices you to choose to drive rather than fly. To fill that role it needs size and substance, as no compact vehicle is a place you want to spend time on a long journey. To usurp the old Jaguar line, it’s needs Space, Pace and Grace.

So, I hope I have given some idea how the next CTS could look if it uses the ATS design cues while mixing in a few new ones of it's own. It's smoother than Art & Science, more conservative even in basic form, but by adding crisp front and rear lines from Ciel it can maintain the feel of Art & Science while being a little more elegant overall. I'm sure GM can produce a stylish, even dramatic, vehicle that can still be said by many to have the look of a larger ATS......

Click to Enlarge

PS.

Just for giggles I put the details of my chop on the GM model....

;)

See less See more
#24 ·
Well it's good many like this direction and I knew some would have a problems with the extreme rear of the Aerocoupe, but to paraphrase Lutz; "if you please everyone you haven't pushed the envelope far enough".... I think several years into a future where cars get more and more aero chasing fuel economy it won't be 'as extreme' and people really do get used to new radical looks which then over time become iconic landmark recognition points. AKA the Parisienne people hated the Eiffel Tower when it was first built, one man eating in it's restaurant every night “because it was the only place he did not have to look at it from”. But now everyone loves it......

As to the badges I wouldn’t have any there myself, or at least much smaller. The V8 was because when I made the badge say CTS-V it was too small to see and I tried a V with an 8 in it but again at that size it blurred up…..

Ding ding. Yes I added bumper-ettes as the Ciel has none to protect the grille. I also split the headlights into upper and lower portions so the lower portions could be covered in a flexible clear lens or a toughened polymer lens that could be easily replaced if damaged.

Who still runs on 56k
It's a webism now that warns of lots of pics that may slow down your system...

;)

#7 ·
Excellent work. As mentioned it follows the sporting bentley brand which is a wonderful direction for cadillac to move towards. I like the very succcessful bentley sporting luxury image for cadillac. It would serve the growth of the brand quite well.

Enough with the german efficiency following. Never have I seen a german branded product that wowed me. (except maybe porsche sports cars)

Following the direction of aston martin for the ford fusion and hopefully other ford products makes a lot of sense.

Your move with cadillac as a more stylish and sporting brand along the lines of bentley has me intrigued as it melds both bentley's sporting luxury image with of course Cadillacs art and science theme.

I would mention thought that the one aspect that Mr. Ed Welburn mentions needing further development for the cadillac branding on the beautiful and stunning Ciel was the face.

Mr. Welburn during a video interview at the release of the Ciel goes on to state that he was convinced that the face of the Ciel was undergoing further development to better present the cadillac brand..

Not my words...I am just repeating what he said during the interview.

If Cadillac would move more along the lines of bentley body panel flow I would be more inclined to stay with the brand.

I love the cTS Coupe and if find that a high point yet until I see the ATS in person...I'm not quite convinced I want one for myself.

Very very reminicent (SP) of the CTS and I understand the germanic lineup of three different size similiarly shaped sausages being a successful formula..

I"m just not convinced the bentley sporting luxury style is not a better way to go.

Thank you for your fine work. GIves me hope we wont' see a small medium and large version of each segement that cadillac goes into.

It gives me hope we will see more style from cadillac.

Its interesting how GM might go with sporting luxury similiar to the bentley brand and yet its not a ripe off like the original 300C was.

I like the new 300c yet I think it lost the sportiness of the bentley image in its latest incarnation...

Send it off to Mr. Welburn for fun. Your work is that good. IMO

#9 ·
Excellent work. As mentioned it follows the sporting bentley brand which is a wonderful direction for cadillac to move towards. I like the very succcessful bentley sporting luxury image for cadillac. It would serve the growth of the brand quite well.
I agree. It just looks so mature and sophisticated. 'Rich' is the proper word I suppose. With the slightly agressive boldness of classic American Cadillac cues, I think Cadillac could look Better than Bentley.

#13 ·
Interesting styles and views there MonaroSS. Thanks for the effort!

#18 ·
I know I'm probably in the minority, but I really don't care for the front end of the Ciel. It's too much "in your face" 1970's Chrysler Imperial with not enough sophistication to be a challenge to BMW, Mercedes and Lexus.

Your Black ragtop and the rest of your designs, have great lines, but I'd get rid of the front fender markers (cts and the way too large V8) and trim the headlights up from the front bumper. They are too long in the verticle dimension and prone to parking damage.

I'd go back to your original ATS concept rear roof design for the CTS, with the crease in the C pillar. I like it better than the rounded roof of the ATS, and it may be a good way for Cadillac to diferentiate between the two models.

I'm not sure about the Aerocoupe. It looks good, but Cadillac has poor rear vision in many of it's existing models and that design would be even worse. I'd stick with the same body length and wheelbase, as GM won't have the cash or the disposition to have a separate wheelbase for a lower production model.

I've always disliked the lower "snowplow" front end on the CTS (including mine). Your designs flow much better, from front to rear. They look like they are in motion, while standing still. Your comments on color are right on. Cadillac should be at the forefront of a color revolution in the automotive world.

Thanks for your work.

#23 ·
Amazing job Monaro.
This chop is absolutely cold!
I love some of the lines on this coupe, but I don't think the Ciel front integrates well with the rest of the car. Too upright, not aerodynamic enough. I would expect the Ciel look will find its way onto the Omega, not the CTS.
And the dimensions are of a full size car, rather than mid-size. This is more DT7 size.
Minor criticisms aside, I love your work!

#25 · (Edited)
If the car would come out looking anything like this, I know that they would have people lined up to buy it. It's unique without being ridiculous - and I personally love the lines of the coupe.

By using a design similar to this, they would definitely have the familial look between the vehicles - ATS to CTS to XTS to whatever they choose to call the large rear drive (FTS).

#26 ·
I think it has the required presence and would push the CTS into a higher-level market, all of which is good. I'm not sure about the long rear overhang and the relationship with the c-pillar. A longer rear overhang is good, I think, but this just looks too long. That said, it might grow on me.

Similarly, I'm on the fence on the fastback roof. Certainly, it evokes the post WWII sedans and coupes, which is good. And it certainly is striking. But it reminds me a bit too much of the Maybach concept from a few years back, which also looked very long without looking very stately. Again, it might grow on me, though.

I do like the spirit of these designs 'swinging for the fences' as opposed to the rumours that the new CTS will be a larger ATS (which is basically a scaled down current CTS). As some point a copy of a copy looses some of its punch and clarity!

#29 ·
I really like the "CTS/Cien/Bentley coupe" in red above the current CTS coupe. It looks like a Cadillac and it has strong features that are pleasing to look at (profile view).

Can you do a face on perspective? I'd like to see the front of the Ciel re-worked while keeping the extreme headlight design (maybe make them a touch wider and recessed).

If Cadillac's next coupe's profile looks like your rendering, it's going to be a huge success. It also looks like you could have an audi A7 / Corvette type of hatch/trunk mechanism which would make loading the truck a piece of cake.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.