Australian Sales Results Modelling for 2016 - Page 3

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 41 of 41

Thread: Australian Sales Results Modelling for 2016

  1. #31
    2.5L Iron Duke
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Re: Australian Sales Results Modelling for 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by timandhayley View Post
    As predicted, Astra discounting has started. Prices officially rolled back as of today, across the range. Base model R spec to be price-pointed going forward to try and get some sales. It will be interesting to see if it works, for our sake I hope it does because it needs to at least replace our Cruze volume, if not grow it a little.
    Came here specifically to see if you'd posted. What have they deleted from the cars other than the side skirts on the R? And the chunk of cash they've taken from the auto screams price gouging beforehand.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  3. #32
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    288
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 105 Times in 103 Posts

    Re: Australian Sales Results Modelling for 2016

    Nothing removed whatsoever. They actually built the first batch of base R's with side skirts in error(this was communicated to us prior to launch).

    The dealer group has been scathing of the pricing strategy since before launch and they've finally done something about it (probably because they've retailed less than 100 units since launch).

    With the Auto, they've basically just pulled the pricing back to reality. I said a few weeks away that if they didn't do something about pricing quickly they'd be throwing $3-4k per car at them just to move any sort of volume. They should have imported the Cruze Hatch from Korea, the Astra is just too expensive!

  4. #33
    2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    850
    Thanks
    154
    Thanked 164 Times in 93 Posts

    Re: Australian Sales Results Modelling for 2016

    I thought Holden was trying to move to be more of a premium range and hence the price rises across the range. It's clearly going to be a long hard slog.

  5. #34
    2.5L Iron Duke
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Re: Australian Sales Results Modelling for 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by timandhayley View Post
    Nothing removed whatsoever. They actually built the first batch of base R's with side skirts in error(this was communicated to us prior to launch).

    The dealer group has been scathing of the pricing strategy since before launch and they've finally done something about it (probably because they've retailed less than 100 units since launch).

    With the Auto, they've basically just pulled the pricing back to reality. I said a few weeks away that if they didn't do something about pricing quickly they'd be throwing $3-4k per car at them just to move any sort of volume. They should have imported the Cruze Hatch from Korea, the Astra is just too expensive!
    Ha. That's hilarious. Either the MD has been fed some BS or he's using that as a convenient example of simple cost cutting... cough. This from CarAdvice:

    “We’d like to think that we can take some price on this, but we’ll see where we can recover from the rest of our portfolio. There are features on the car that may not need to be there,” Bernhard said.

    The one that we’ve looked at is the side skirts on the entry levels. They’re coming off, the decision has been made. You’ll save $1700 off the vehicles with automatic transmission, that’s where the focus has been.”

  6. #35
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    288
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 105 Times in 103 Posts

    Re: Australian Sales Results Modelling for 2016

    Maybe they had decided all along, but in our launch document they made reference to the fact that the initial batch of cars were built with side skirts in error and that going forward they won't be fitted with them. We've got cars on the yard with and without them already (i.e. they made this decision well before the time they decided to play with the pricing).

    Holden has to remember that they've positioned themselves for years as a 'value' brand, not some upmarket brand. Volume and upmarket don't seem to go hand in hand. So they either push the prices up and go 'upmarket' and lose substantial volume or they keep the prices low and continue to be a value brand. They should have realised before they released this car that they are going to be in some pain for a number of years to come, due to past decisions and to either suck it up or give up. The decision to close the factory is going to have a massive effect on brand loyalty and presence in the market. Buyers have simply struck Holden off their list. It's going to take some seriously good cars and good prices in order to keep the customer's we've got and to attract new customers to the brand.

  7. #36
    2.5L Iron Duke
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Re: Australian Sales Results Modelling for 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by timandhayley View Post
    Maybe they had decided all along, but in our launch document they made reference to the fact that the initial batch of cars were built with side skirts in error and that going forward they won't be fitted with them. We've got cars on the yard with and without them already (i.e. they made this decision well before the time they decided to play with the pricing).

    Holden has to remember that they've positioned themselves for years as a 'value' brand, not some upmarket brand. Volume and upmarket don't seem to go hand in hand. So they either push the prices up and go 'upmarket' and lose substantial volume or they keep the prices low and continue to be a value brand. They should have realised before they released this car that they are going to be in some pain for a number of years to come, due to past decisions and to either suck it up or give up. The decision to close the factory is going to have a massive effect on brand loyalty and presence in the market. Buyers have simply struck Holden off their list. It's going to take some seriously good cars and good prices in order to keep the customer's we've got and to attract new customers to the brand.
    I mean, that's so obvious that my mind boggles at the decision maker's thought process here. The easy response is that they're idiots but part of me wonders whether this was actually a subtle toe dip in 'premium' price territory to see if they had any cache with the car. Result = nope and they quickly dropped it back.

  8. #37
    2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    850
    Thanks
    154
    Thanked 164 Times in 93 Posts

    Re: Australian Sales Results Modelling for 2016

    As a matter of interest, what is the plan from Holden between VF and NG releases? NG is schedule to arrive in Feb 2018 and VF shuts down later this year which leaves a bit of a gap.

    Will there be a stock pile of VF's to see them through to the NG release or will there just be a big empty patch where neither Commodore is available to buy?

  9. #38
    2.5L Iron Duke
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Re: Australian Sales Results Modelling for 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by AceRimmer View Post
    As a matter of interest, what is the plan from Holden between VF and NG releases? NG is schedule to arrive in Feb 2018 and VF shuts down later this year which leaves a bit of a gap.

    Will there be a stock pile of VF's to see them through to the NG release or will there just be a big empty patch where neither Commodore is available to buy?
    I've no inside info but I hear a lot about limited stock of models above Redline but I imagine there will be quite a few SV6, SS and Calais models to fill the gap of general sedan/wagon sales.

  10. #39
    GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Australia
    Posts
    17,523
    Thanks
    830
    Thanked 485 Times in 420 Posts
    My Ride
    1993 Holden Calais VPII
    Quote Originally Posted by timandhayley View Post
    As predicted, Astra discounting has started. Prices officially rolled back as of today, across the range. Base model R spec to be price-pointed going forward to try and get some sales. It will be interesting to see if it works, for our sake I hope it does because it needs to at least replace our Cruze volume, if not grow it a little.
    I kind of hoped/expected that Astra and new Cruze would be supplementing each other. Astra at the premium and Cruze at the other, but I guess the dichotomy there is that you can offer more features and compete on price with a SK sourced product.

    As has already been mentioned, Holden can't cash their chips on brand loyalty anymore. They'll have to ante up the same way Kia, Hyundai, [to a lesser extent but unlimited kms is a freeby] Subaru and VW have: a fatter warranty (3 years 100,000km just doesn't cut it anymore).

  11. #40
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    102
    Thanks
    163
    Thanked 23 Times in 18 Posts
    My Ride
    2011 series Captiva LX diesel

    Re: Australian Sales Results Modelling for 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by mikmak View Post
    I kind of hoped/expected that Astra and new Cruze would be supplementing each other. Astra at the premium and Cruze at the other, but I guess the dichotomy there is that you can offer more features and compete on price with a SK sourced product.
    As has already been mentioned, Holden can't cash their chips on brand loyalty anymore. They'll have to ante up the same way Kia, Hyundai, [to a lesser extent but unlimited kms is a freeby] Subaru and VW have: a fatter warranty (3 years 100,000km just doesn't cut it anymore).
    I have lots of people asking me about cars lately, some that have asked about the Astra I've had to be honest and say I think they got the specs wrong on the Astra.
    I have told people to go out and look at them and test drive them because I can't comment on how they drive since Holden won't supply me cars any more to review, some people have baulked at looking at them when comparing specs to other cars.
    Warranty was another people have scoffed at when Kia is offering 7yrs and Hyundai 5yrs, It's hard to compete with some cars coming out of SK as they seem to be well equip including things that some companies either don't provide or charge extra for.
    I feel sorry for people like timandhayley who are actually trying to sell Holdens at the moment, no one is going to buy Holden as a premium brand, brand loyalty which has had people coming back time and time again is out the window and there is a serious lack of quality product in Holdens range to entice people that have never considered buying a Holden before in the show rooms.
    SUVs are booming and Holden have basically nothing that can compete with the other offerings that are out there,
    I am really salty over the end of manufacturing, but I can't be a Holden fan all my life and not really hope that they can eventually build up to where they before but there are lots of obstacles for them to climb and at the moment they seem to be getting bigger every day they don't have the product to compete with the rest of the market.
    Look out I'm on twitter kts350
    Check out the new home for 3 on The Tree Hidden Content

  12. #41
    GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Australia
    Posts
    17,523
    Thanks
    830
    Thanked 485 Times in 420 Posts
    My Ride
    1993 Holden Calais VPII

    Re: Australian Sales Results Modelling for 2016

    More news on the Astra price cut.... Holden Readies Astra Lineup for Astra Sedan
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

    Hidden Content

    Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

  13. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2