GM Inside News Forum banner

(ATS-V Side View) Cadillac ATS Coupe needs to be more...

40K views 92 replies 51 participants last post by  Orbit Orange 
#1 · (Edited)
Cadillac ATS Coupe
needs to be more...

Op-Ed by MonaroSS
GMI Contributor – 8 December 2012

Just a quick opinion. With the release of the BMW 4-Series Coupe I am beginning to feel that the ATS Coupe needs to be more than just a 2-door version of the sedan; or even a svelte Coupe body but sharing everything forward of the A pillar. It needs to be more sculpted and overtly styled, breaking further from the conservative ATS sedan body. Yes it should look like an ATS, but more like it could face prosecution if it told a Senate Committee it had never used steroids... And that’s without being a ‘V’ model, which should step it up a notch even further.

I think that in this market sector buyers are expecting more exclusivity from a Coupe, and are willing to pay for it if that promise is delivered upon. Of course it would be cheaper to just graft 4-doors into 2-doors and leave it at that. But I think that type of thinking is why Coupe sales are often low. But when you get an exceptional Coupe design that stands out in the crowd, you not only get higher sales of the Coupe, but extra kudos for the range it symbolises...

What do you think, safe and cost-effective; or a little riskier and bolder design?

EDIT: Added ATS-V Coupe SIDI 4.0 TTV8...

Click to Enlarge

;)

See less See more
#77 ·
Re: (Super Hot 'ATS-V' Side View) Cadillac ATS Coupe needs to be more...

Love the side chops of the coupe. Its hot.

Once again too bad GM is so anti-coupe. If they'd hire you, they'd be doing themselves and us a favor. :)

#80 ·

I'm just not feeling it, either. The side view is especially off-putting. The hood seems too high over the lights, and I distinctly dislike how it looks. The tail lights just don't flow. I find they don't flow on the CTS or the ATS in general, and only flow properly on the Converj/ELR, Ciel and Cien. I tend to be one who wishes Cadillac would simply accentuate the fins and make them flow in a downward trajectory to create a wedge-like shape for the car. In fact, I think aesthetically it would look best if the headlights came up and over the bumper and the line went straight back to the tail lights which then dipped downwards, completing the wedge. The trunk should not be higher than the lights.

The other thing I don't like is how much the nose/grill of the car projects forward of the headlights. Again, it just lacks something aesthetically.

As to the supposed softening of A&S that other threads have discussed, I think what we'll see is more Ciel lines which are generally softer than A&S 1.0 and A&S 2.0.

#82 ·

I'm just not feeling it, either. The side view is especially off-putting. The hood seems too high over the lights, and I distinctly dislike how it looks. The tail lights just don't flow. I find they don't flow on the CTS or the ATS in general, and only flow properly on the Converj/ELR, Ciel and Cien. I tend to be one who wishes Cadillac would simply accentuate the fins and make them flow in a downward trajectory to create a wedge-like shape for the car. In fact, I think aesthetically it would look best if the headlights came up and over the bumper and the line went straight back to the tail lights which then dipped downwards, completing the wedge. The trunk should not be higher than the lights.

The other thing I don't like is how much the nose/grill of the car projects forward of the headlights. Again, it just lacks something aesthetically.

As to the supposed softening of A&S that other threads have discussed, I think what we'll see is more Ciel lines which are generally softer than A&S 1.0 and A&S 2.0.
Below is what a single line from the headlight to the taillight would look like...

;)

#81 ·

The ATS-V needs to be more visually appealing than the ATS sport luxury sedan. Not only that but the designers need to make sure they bring the real metal mesh grill back that GM used to use on the V High performance line of vehicles
when Lutz was Product Chief of GM instead of using plastic. It doesn't heart to sweat more of the details because it will more than pay off in sales and consumer retention. The absolute best in the Small sport luxury segment is the M3 BMW and currently that's what I have my sights on as far as a car to buy though I am sort of a collector/auto enthusiast.

They need to set the benchmark and sweat more of the details but obviously apply the unique "art and science" theme and keep it alive.

Those renderings aren't bad but I'm expecting something a little less dramatic but more visually involving that looks like it's moving while it's standing still but more premium materials.

#84 ·
You're wonderful at photoshopping but I am just not feeling any of these chops at all... sorry.

Nothing about any of the changes to the rear end look "Cadillac"... the upward slanting rear side windows make it look Camaro-ish, and the large character line coming from the back end looks like it's just there to make it look different than the sedan.

The higher cowl hood I can understand... but not the rear end.

#85 ·

just to offer another point of view:
the reason for the plastic V. metal grille for the CTS V had nothing to do with Mr. Lutz
and in fact he was one of the individulals that approved the production plastic grille
and when it comes to sweating the details,the plastic grille is much,much for difficult to execute than metal mesh on a roll
the metal mesh came to life on the 16's in the 30's to keep stones from damaging the radiators
while the metal mesh looks great to some,there isn't any "dimension" to the stuff,it looks like it is "chicken wire" on a roll
it looks like you could buy it by the roll at the hardware store,and cut it to fit.And as a matter of fact,several dealers did/do buy the metal mesh and replace the stock base car grilles with the stuff to make them look like the V's
the plastic allows the opportunity to have a more three dimensional grille with some depth & was in fact lighter which was important for overall vehicle weight
the fact that the Bentley GT uses a plastic grille,didn't hurt either
the grille was actually released in both metal & plastic
once everyone saw the 3D depth of the plastic,that's what was put into production

maybe they will resort back to the metal mesh,but now you have the story as to why it is the way it is :D

#89 ·
For the most part I like what you've presented, and like you said style is subjective. So, for me, I'm not really feeling the indent on the coupe from mid door to the taillight. It looks familiar though, where's it from? It's driving me nuts because I can't put my finger on it. I thought I knew, but everything I thought it was, I'm wrong.

#93 ·
In my opinion, the single line, from headlight to tail light looks better. Now, if only there were no speed bumps in parking lots or driveways had no pitch, we would be able to drive it every day with the lowered drive height.
Funny you mention speed bumps. I hate them. It would be cool if cars had sensors looking in front of them that would recognize a speed bump and adjust the suspension up accordingly. That would actually be an electronic nanny I wouldn't mind seeing on cars. It could also work for steep entrance and departure angles into a parking lot or side road. Cadillac should look into that.

MonaroSS you keep my coupe dreams alive. Too bad we can't buy some of the real thing. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.