GM Inside News Forum banner

(ATS-V Side View) Cadillac ATS Coupe needs to be more...

40K views 92 replies 51 participants last post by  Orbit Orange 
#1 · (Edited)
Cadillac ATS Coupe
needs to be more...

Op-Ed by MonaroSS
GMI Contributor – 8 December 2012

Just a quick opinion. With the release of the BMW 4-Series Coupe I am beginning to feel that the ATS Coupe needs to be more than just a 2-door version of the sedan; or even a svelte Coupe body but sharing everything forward of the A pillar. It needs to be more sculpted and overtly styled, breaking further from the conservative ATS sedan body. Yes it should look like an ATS, but more like it could face prosecution if it told a Senate Committee it had never used steroids... And that’s without being a ‘V’ model, which should step it up a notch even further.

I think that in this market sector buyers are expecting more exclusivity from a Coupe, and are willing to pay for it if that promise is delivered upon. Of course it would be cheaper to just graft 4-doors into 2-doors and leave it at that. But I think that type of thinking is why Coupe sales are often low. But when you get an exceptional Coupe design that stands out in the crowd, you not only get higher sales of the Coupe, but extra kudos for the range it symbolises...

What do you think, safe and cost-effective; or a little riskier and bolder design?

EDIT: Added ATS-V Coupe SIDI 4.0 TTV8...

Click to Enlarge

;)

See less See more
#35 ·
Re: Cadillac ATS Coupe needs to be more...

Love your work. I'd hit it.

Too bad GM stays away from coupes like they would from Anthrax or Bubonic Plague.

#37 ·
Re: (Now ATS-V TTV8) Cadillac ATS Coupe needs to be more...

Regrettably, in another thread on this web-site's Forums, it was recently reported that Cadillac Motor Division was making the styling more "bland" for the market in China! MonaroSS's renditions are great (as usual) and I'd recommend Cadillac use more of the DNA from the '67-'70 Eldorado styling, especially with the crease from the rear fender by the rear quarter window at the belt-line, making a "shoulder" or "haunch" to extend the creased fender back to the length of the car and add an illusion of greater length. The stylists have good genes to work with--past side air scoops and subtle sail panel emblems would be other ideas to emulate in a modern rendition. A Cadillac Coupe should definitely be boldly styled and not just a two-door rendition of the Sedan model!

#38 ·

Regrettably, in another thread on this web-site's Forums, it was recently reported that Cadillac Motor Division was making the styling more "bland" for the market in China! MonaroSS's renditions are great (as usual) and I'd recommend Cadillac use more of the DNA from the '67-'70 Eldorado styling, especially with the crease from the rear fender by the rear quarter window at the belt-line, making a "shoulder" or "haunch" to extend the creased fender back to the length of the car and add an illusion of greater length. The stylists have good genes to work with--past side air scoops and subtle sail panel emblems would be other ideas to emulate in a modern rendition. A Cadillac Coupe should definitely be boldly styled and not just a two-door rendition of the Sedan model!
Sigh.... I almost dread the arrival of the 3rd Gen CTS. Cadillac should not be "Bland" to appeal to appeal to a wide audience.

#40 · (Edited)

I would hope for a 3.0L TTV6 to replace the NA 3.6L V6 and both a 4.0L TTV8 and a 5.0L TTV8 to go with the 2.0L TI4 they have today in a near future Cadillac engine lineup! They need a DOHC 4VPC HFV8 with standard Twin Turbocharging for Cadillac and the future ATS and ATC should use a more powerful version of the 4.0L version. The standard CTS V8 I see as a 400+HP 4.0L V8 with the V version using a boosted 560+HP TT5.0L version. This would allow the ATS-ATC to come with the 3.0L TTV6 as the opt engine above the TI4 and a boosted 500HP 4.0L TTV8 for the V version of this smaller model! Cadillac truly needs at least two DOHC 4VPC V8's to properly fill out its future lineup and truly compete with its competitors!

ATS-ATC
2.0L 270HP TI4
3.0L 330HP TTV6
4.0L 500HP TTV8 V
CTS
2.0L 280HP TI4
3.0L 340HP TTV6
4.0L 400HP TTV8
5.0L 560HP TTV8 V
LTS
3.0L 340HP TTV8
4.0L 400HP TTV8
ULS-ULC
5.0L 460HP TTV8
6.5L 600HP TTV12 V

#42 · (Edited)

I would hope for a 3.0L TTV6 to replace the NA 3.6L V6 and both a 4.0L TTV8 and a 5.0L TTV8 to go with the 2.0L TI4 they have today in a near future Cadillac engine lineup! They need a DOHC 4VPC HFV8 with standard Twin Turbocharging for Cadillac and the future ATS and ATC should use a more powerful version of the 4.0L version. The standard CTS V8 I see as a 400+HP 4.0L V8 with the V version using a boosted 560+HP TT5.0L version. This would allow the ATS-ATC to come with the 3.0L TTV6 as the opt engine above the TI4 and a boosted 500HP 4.0L TTV8 for the V version of this smaller model! Cadillac truly needs at least two DOHC 4VPC V8's to properly fill out its future lineup and truly compete with its competitors!

ATS-ATC
2.0L 270HP TI4
3.0L 330HP TTV6
4.0L 500HP TTV8 V
I have to agree that Caddy needs a premium V8. All I ask for is they put two Ecotec 2.0 and 2.0T's together on a common block. You get to use most of the same internals and all of the combustion research for economy and pollution standards... They don't need to start with a clean sheet -just build off the Ecotec engine program. Ford never made a clean sheet V12 for Aston Martin; they just slammed two Mondeo V6 engines together. It's not rocket science.

;)

#44 ·

Did a quickie more radical front for a V. Just dropped the grill a little to be flush with where the hood closes and then extended the grille all the way down. If I had more time I would have bought the scoop down the same amount.

You either love them or hate them it seams but the more radical Lexus and RS5 have a bigger mouth grill. I typically don't like the big mouth grills but some of them like the RS5 look great.

#48 · (Edited)

Did a quickie more radical front for a V. Just dropped the grill a little to be flush with where the hood closes and then extended the grille all the way down. If I had more time I would have bought the scoop down the same amount.

You either love them or hate them it seams but the more radical Lexus and RS5 have a bigger mouth grill. I typically don't like the big mouth grills but some of them like the RS5 look great.

Looks good. Not everyone likes those big grills but I don't mind them at all...

Finished it off for you.

For comparison..

;)

#51 ·

Monaro,

I like the orange one you did and I can't even stand that color.
How about one in OPULENT BLUE METALLIC?

In regards to the engines I thought the 3.6 TT was confirmed for the CTS V.
GM is building a LT4 supercharged version of the new SBC but I haven't heard any confirmation of a TT SBC in the works.
Please forgive me if I am wrong.

#59 · (Edited)
Re: (New Side View) Cadillac ATS Coupe needs to be more...

OK. Got around to a side view...

;)
This is the perfect combo its just aggressive enough against the competition. Good job again. Also, I can see this getting a LT1. The alpha on buick getting the TTV6 instead. No V8's to buick.

#58 ·

Tt 4.0 v8? ...i wish

#73 ·

For comparison to the ATS sedan...

;)
Great job on the coupe roof line. It's more practicle, giving greater visability and more headroom for the back seat. It follows the more conservative styling Cadillac wanted for the ATS, while following the general roof line used the the competition in that price class. In my opinion, the large rear fender bulge makes the rear wheel look smaller than the front. I know you used the same wheels, so the bulge is what makes the difference.

#64 ·

Those small changes made a positive difference MonaroSS

#66 ·
Re: (Super Hot 'ATS-V' Side View) Cadillac ATS Coupe needs to be more...

Looks great yet a four door sleek coupe would be better.

Your work is great on the sketches and if GM follows you designs ot would be an awesome coupe....I just tend to think volumes would be higher on a sleek 4 door coupe

#75 ·

Looks great yet a four door sleek coupe would be better.

Your work is great on the sketches and if GM follows you designs ot would be an awesome coupe....I just tend to think volumes would be higher on a sleek 4 door coupe
Historically, by definition a coupe is a two door. That is what coupe means, ,just like sedan means 4 door. There are cars like my Regal Turbo which may have more of a coupe-like appearance...but it is a sedan.

#69 ·

Everything back of the b-pillar does not work for me.
No offence Monaro, but I'm not feeling these.
No offence taken.

Aesthetics is very subjective and personal, beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that. Even GM, with all their designers and focus groups don’t get everyone or even a majority of people liking the designs they release.

Just look at people’s reactions here on this site to the 130R, or the XTS, or the Impala or new Malibu. And then the poor reactions to other manufacturers designs as they are released. And those design teams spend billions.

The fact is you can’t have a design that everyone loves or even likes. Even the greatest designs throughout history like the E-Type, the Aston-Martin DB9, Porsche 911, Lamborghini Miura, and Ferrari GTO. There are people who hate one of them and many who simply don’t care for some of them.

If we all liked the same thing, it would be a boring world…

;)

#70 ·

I personally prefer the lights to go all the way up, IMO that's the problem I see. The rear side profile has too much "dead" space even with the sheet metal work.

#71 · (Edited)

I personally prefer the lights to go all the way up, IMO that's the problem I see. The rear side profile has too much "dead" space even with the sheet metal work.
I'm not seeing where there is this so called 'dead' space, not even sure what that means, because compared the to BMW below it is verging upon being 'busy' with too much going on with the flanks.

As to the lights, what you may not see from the pics is that the upper part of the tail light that travels forward and sits in the void of the large scalloped side crease is actually a raised 'fin' which sits up free and has another side to it on the car side. So you could sit a pen on the inside of it and not see the pen.

In real life, walking around the car such design details like that would appear more interesting than simply going higher up the rear. And BTW the tail lights are nearly as tall as on the sedan, they just sit lower down as do the front headlights, and the rear trunk on the coupe is also higher than the sedan.

;)

#72 ·

on the side profile, lose that hump at the C-pillar (looks like a A5), tailight design, second side profile swoop( (this is not a Hyundai), and wheel arches. If you would had made the Side profile seem to "voluptuous hips" like the BMW, that tailight design would probably work on any car, but this is a Caddy. the current lights are suppose to simulate modern "tail fins" a signature Cadillac design

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.