Transmission Cooling Lines Leaking

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transmission Cooling Lines Leaking

Walking
    Thanks

Transmission Cooling Lines Leaking

I have a 2007 Silverado Classic 1500 Crew Cab with 69000 miles on it. When getting it inspected I was told that the transmission lines were leaking. I brought it into the dealer and they told me that 3 of the cooling lines were leaking at the clamps and all 3 lines needed to be replaced. The did so for $634!!! Apparently, these lines are not included in the limited powertrain warrantee. I contacted GM and they had a local representative contact me and he confirmed that they were not included in the warrantee. When I challenged him with the fact that the warrantee specifically states that "seals and gaskets" are covered and it does NOT state that "internal" seals and gaskets are only covered the GM Rep was rendered stuttering and speachless. I asked him to esclate within his management. He called me back and said there was nothing he could do. When I asked who he escalated to he said it was "confidential". One thing he did offer me was $1000 off the purchase of a new GM if purchased within the next 12 months!!! Are you kidding me? Let me get this straight.....I have a GM product that has problems and customer service has been poor.....now you want to give me an incentive to purchase another???? Why not just give me the $634 for the repair and we'll all be happy?????

Does anyone know contact information for GM executive management? Specifically, Jim Campbell - the GM of Chevrolet?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 X6

Re: Transmission Cooling Lines Leaking

I had the same problem with my cooler lines, 2003 Sierra, but I also own a transmission shop. The truck had 78,000 km on it and they wouldn't cover it at all. The crimps leak at the rad, I see this alot normally I just cut the line flare it and reclamp it with no problems but this truck was not old and under warranty after complaining I just repaired it my self. I will never trust GM and there warranties again. Dodge will be my next truck I've never had a problem with warranty on my jeep, they just fix it.

Thanks

How can a few hose clamps + labor cost $634? Did they have to pull the trans or something?
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 164k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 90k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455/7.5L, Quadrajet, dual exhaust. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday.

'87 BMW K75. Pichler V1 fairing. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. 3.0L OMC. Restored. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. Twin 327QA's. Basketcase but restoration in progress. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV. 13 hp Honda swap.

Walking
    Thanks

$90 for parts and $544 for labor. And no, did not have to pull the tranny.

My reply to the GMI staff member who states "physical external lines are not "seals & gaskets" so I don't see the end of the arguement there...." Read your "Limited Powertrain Warrantee" which states as being covered "Transmission/Tranaxle/Transfer Case, all internal lubricated parts, torque converter, transfer case, transmission/transaxle mounts, seals, and gaskets" Whether the cooling lines are external or not, they do have seals on each end which are meant to maintain the proper fluid level to lubricate the internal parts. Had I let these seals continue to leak, GM would be replacing my transmission under th warrantee. For sake of argument, "mounts" are external to the transmission as well however they are covered?????

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar linton23's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Honda Civic

Quote Originally Posted by GMCSonoma View Post
    and you never answered my question, is the truck a diesel???
    He did in his first post "I have a 2007 Silverado Classic 1500 Crew Cab with 69000 miles on it" No Diesel for a 1500

Walking
    Thanks

I'm definitely in no mood for a pissing match either. At least your explaination is far more than I got from the region GM rep that contacted me via phone. Yes, I do have 69K miles which on GM's foreign competitor vehicles isn't even broken in, let alone broken! I try so hard to keep the buy american spirit but unfortunately the american companies don't seem to give a crap. I had a 2003 Sierra that had a clunking noise when shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear (auto trans) almost from the day I purchased the vehicle. After 5 times of bringing it to the GM dealer and hearing that there was "no problem found", I decided to just deal with it. And believe it or not.....My 2007 has the same clunking noise.

Walking
    Thanks

GMCSonoma......Thank you for posting the time to replace the 3 lines - 2.1 hours. My only question on that would be does that factor in draining the fluid and refilling. Just wondering before I get on the phone with the dealer that serviced my vehicle.

Walking
    Thanks

Well. I just got off the phone with the service manager where I brought my vehicle. She indicates that the 3 lines individually would be 1.7; 1.2; and 1.3 hours for a total of 4.2 hours at $98 per hour $411.60. Apparently the add the diagnostic fee on top of that! How would your SI give you 2.1 and theirs 4.2?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GIANKEES View Post
    I'm definitely in no mood for a pissing match either. At least your explaination is far more than I got from the region GM rep that contacted me via phone. Yes, I do have 69K miles which on GM's foreign competitor vehicles isn't even broken in, let alone broken! I try so hard to keep the buy american spirit but unfortunately the american companies don't seem to give a crap. I had a 2003 Sierra that had a clunking noise when shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear (auto trans) almost from the day I purchased the vehicle. After 5 times of bringing it to the GM dealer and hearing that there was "no problem found", I decided to just deal with it. And believe it or not.....My 2007 has the same clunking noise.
    givin all the attention to your foreign competitor I would not go there right now...

anyhow shop rates will vary....our 'book' here says 3.5 hours to do all 3 lines @ $103 per hour, I was also told any decent mech should be able to do it in 2 hours give or take a few minutes for 'crap'...as for parts I did not look up the parts price for the hoses.

and yes GMPP is worth its weight in gold......covers almost everything on your vehicle, I have seen it save people lives literally. One thing I will promise ya is they all break, even the other guys......

diagnostic fee?? confused here I am under the impression this only applies if they need to plug a tech 2 into it, this can bee seen pretty easily so what is the diag time....20 seconds.....

One other note I will pass along, GM at least here has a bullitin on this, they knowits a problem and have sent new lines but wont recall it or warranty it, almost ALL 07 hafl tons I have sold have come back for this.....my brothers 2 times
    Last edited by MalibuMaxxSS; 02-15-2010 at 07:20 PM.
    "You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours. You want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then the symbol of your country cannot just be a flag. The symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Now show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms."

Thanks

Wow. Eerilly similar to the chronically leaky remote oil filter/cooler lines on all 4.3/4X4 S10 products since the 80's.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Silverado 1500 Z71

Quote Originally Posted by GIANKEES View Post
    She indicates that the 3 lines individually would be 1.7; 1.2; and 1.3 hours for a total of 4.2 hours at $98 per hour $411.60. Apparently the add the diagnostic fee on top of that! How would your SI give you 2.1 and theirs 4.2?
    Almost sounds like they gave you the labor guide times from the 2500/3500 allison bulletin:

Transmission Fluid Aux Cooler Inlet Hose - Replace
    1.7 hrs

Add
    To Replace Lower Pipe if Required
    0.2 hr

Transmission Fluid Cooler Upper Pipe Assembly - Replace
    2.3 hrs

Add
    To Replace Lower Pipe if Required
    0.2 hr

Add
    To Replace Aux Cooler Hose if Required
    0.2 hr

Add
    With 4WD
    0.6 hr

Transmission Fluid Cooler Lower Pipe Assembly - Replace
    1.5 hrs

Quote Originally Posted by MalibuMaxxSS View Post
    GM at least here has a bullitin on this,
    The only line replacement bulletin there is is for the Allison/dmax trucks. There is a fitting replacement for 1997-2008 4L60-70 trannies #08-07-30-004

Now that I read the first post again, it sounds like that it might have been just the fittings that needed to be changed (the bulletin above).
    Last edited by newdude; 02-16-2010 at 09:37 PM.

Nova Omega Ventura Apollo gets you NOVA, genius isn't it?

Occupy Wall Streeters should go occupy their homes...or a job...

Walking
    Thanks

Thank you everyone for your posts and suggestions. As it turns out, I called another Chevy dealer in my area and requested a quote. I was told total job would be around $400 plus tax. Total laber time was estimated at 2.7 hours. Armed with this quote, I went back to my dealer and asked WTF. We are currently working towards an amicable solution.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar sonjaab's Avatar
    Thanks

Try a indy shop......................
    I use a local one for all non warranty repairs on my vehicles.
    The charge $50 per hour labor rate and don't "charge to look" either.

Since its only leaking............But yet agaIN I see many posts of leaking
    and troublesome trans. lines in the GM truck forums.

Walking
    Thanks

Thanks everyone for your posts/comments. After discussing my situation with the sales manager, it was determined that I was in fact overcharged for the work. They issued me a partial refund and we're all happy now. Thanks again everyone.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar sonjaab's Avatar
    Thanks

Score one for the consumer and some of the helpful folks that post here!

To clarify my previous post...............The leaking lines I mentioned are not the steel line itself leaking but the POS crimped/connectors that are the issue.

Unlike the line connectors of old that were actual metal flared lines with steel nut connectors that screwed together or screwed into the radiator/trans./oil cooler etc.....................

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information