(Sub)standard of the World: My ATS Experience

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: (Sub)standard of the World: My ATS Experience

Editor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,569 Times in 359 Posts
    Blog Entries

(Sub)standard of the World: My ATS Experience

**Disclaimer: the below is written as a customer who has followed the normal protocol that any other GM customer would follow. **

As most know by now, I placed an order for a 2013 Cadillac ATS many weeks ago. In the time since I've learned exactly what works and what doesn't as it relates to GM customer service and their ability to communicate with the various constituents involved in the vehicle order process. For a company alleging to become more customer focused, I'm not seeing it - yet.

Timeline of Events

• September 24, 2012 - Dealer replaces stock ATS 2.0T order with my configuration.
    • October 16, 2012 - Vehicle is produced at Lansing Grand River Assembly
    • October 24, 2012 - Motor Trend reports that GM is issuing a "repair" for ATS's built with the optional manual transmission.
    • November 5, 2012 - GM Customer Assistance Center and the dealer inform me "the car is on its way!"
    • November 13, 2012 - GM informs dealer that the car is "at an intermediary point, hasn't been shipped, and is on hold." No solid ETA is provided.

The Problems

• Cadillac Customer Service and GM CAC have both told me that they can't track an order. You have to call multiple times to get someone that will track it at CAC.
    • I left a voicemail, per instructions, to a CAC rep that did track it. She never would return my call.
    • Despite the dealer's efforts, GM has relayed virtually no information about my order/car to them.
    • To date no one can tell me or the dealer where my car is. Not that it matters, it's just perplexing that no one seems to know.
    • This isn't my problem - you can go here and here to find that all ATS manual owners are having this problem (lack of information).

Summary

I'm in no way, shape or form trying to undermine the complexity of vehicle manufacturing, or the added complexity of an ad-hock repair on produced units. My problem with this whole process is NOT the wait (it hasn't been that long), it's the seemingly total lack of communication on the part of the company to my dealer or myself. People who take the time to custom order a new vehicle (particularly an enthusiast focused car like a manual trans ATS) probably are informed enough to know that something is up with their order. They have the right to know what is going on with it and someone at GM should have the responsibility to convey this to the dealer network and/or customer.

Since going through this I've learned that most GM dealers wind up frustrated over order status. In fact, most have told me that they always end up being stuck between the customer and corporate in these cases because corporate won't divulge information about the order. This is a problem. In an era where everything is electronic and has a QR/bar/dot code, it seems perplexing that finding out information on a $47,000 car makes me and the dealer reminisce about the days in which there was no broadband Internet connectivity.

Again, I elected to order a car that was not out yet. I fully accept the wait time and even accept the ad-hock repair job. In fact, I'm grateful GM is doing that. However none of that excuses leaving customers in the dark when they've been told TWICE that the car has shipped. It doesn't excuse CAC reps saying they can't track the car or failing to return calls.

I believe GM is trying to enhance customer service, and they have in areas. However adding more CS without changing the fundamentals (LACK of communication), is just masking a problem.

The entire ATS 2.0T with manual fiasco has left many customers--myself included--with a substandard experience.
    Last edited by nsap; 11-13-2012 at 10:04 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 FUTURE_OF_GM's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: (Sub)standard of the World: My ATS Experience

GM: A changed company.

(Almost couldn't type that one with a straight face)

News Contributor Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 639 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Cadillac ATS

As I posted on the other thread:

If I were you, I would cancel my order just due to poor service. It's sad, but it would be my move here. I'd check out the 3 series if I were you...
    Current:

2014 Cadillac ATS4 3.6L Premium Collection

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

Past:

2013 Cadillac ATS4 3.6L Premium Collection -> LEMON

2011 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ V6

Thanks

IMO-----considering this is a Cadillac that you ordered GM should have a totally seperate protocal for due diligence when it comes customer service. In fact I don't even think it should be called customer service but rather consultative services. I think you should have been assigned a "consultant" from corporate (an advocate of sorts similar to that of uber luxury car companies like Bentley) that guides you through every process of the transaction from build to finish and delivery. This would help to eliminate someone dropping the ball along the way or you receiving conflicting information from various sources who do not know or fully understand the process. A well made car will sell itself but if your experience is not enjoyabe from start to finish you may question whether it's worth coming back to the brand at a later date and time. It seems a lil' evident at least from your experience that GM is still saddled by old ways of misjudgement and a cavalier approach to service and accountability.
    Last edited by CrunkedRL; 11-13-2012 at 03:44 PM.

Editor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,569 Times in 359 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CrunkedRL View Post
    IMO-----considering this is Cadillac that you ordered GM should have a totally seperate due diligence process when it comes customer service. In fact I don't even think it should be called customer service but rather consultative services. I think you should be assigned a "consultant" from corporate (an advocate of sorts similar to that of uber luxury car companies like Bentley) that guides you through every process of the transaction from build to finish and delivery. This help to eliminate someone dropping the ball along the way you receiving conflicting information from various people who do not know or fully understand the process. A well made car will sell itself but if your experience is not enjoyabe from end to end you may think twice about coming back to the brand.
    Funny you say that. I thought the same thing. They (used to) do this for Volt orders and it got amazing feedback. Why not expand it to Cadillac? Knowing GM, you can almost assure that there is some form or red tape or thought process preventing it.

Customer service is CRITICAL for the company I work for. We just wouldn't survive if we did some of what I see going on in automotive. Perhaps that's why I wasn't hired in the industry
    "What's noteworthy about this rumor is that it came from GMInsideNews.com. That in itself gives it a bit more credibility." - Edmund's Insideline, June 21, 2008

E-Mail Me

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    Customer service is CRITICAL for the company I work for. We just wouldn't survive if we did some of what I see going on in automotive. Perhaps that's why I wasn't hired in the industry
    Could be worse than automotive, it could be what passes for customer service in the wireless phone industry.
    2013 Chevrolet Black Diamond Avalanche 6k | 1989 Cadillac Brougham 145k

Quote Originally Posted by yamahr1
    Hyundai has a knack for designing cars that look like they've already been in an accident.
    Chicago Blackhawks - 2013 Stanley Cup Champions!

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Maybe there is something you can learn from this experience. In addition to your frustrations you have found that not only is GM not a person but a giant corporation that doesn't care or have feelings for customers because they cant and aren't human. And with that understanding comes the realization you should never be loyal to a brand or a corporation. And the next time you go car shopping you won't let a brand name influence your purchase decision. I'm not saying it did this time, I'm just laying it out there for you.

Good luck with your order, sometimes the wait is worth it. Sometimes it's not.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Slideways's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    12 cylinders via two cars

Quote Originally Posted by FUTURE_OF_GM View Post
    GM: A changed company.

(Almost couldn't type that one with a straight face)
    Yeah, they should have just shipped the cars even though they knew that had an easily correctable issue. That would have proved they care about their customers.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    15Soul+ Yellow; 01 PT LTD

It was a couple of years ago, but I found a great GM Case Manager at 1-800-462-8782.
    He was immensely helpful in bringing a rogue GM (non-) service department to heel, after they'd told me "Hey! Get over it!" regarding a repair gone bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy4Life View Post

If I were you, I would cancel my order just due to poor service. It's sad, but it would be my move here. I'd check out the 3 series if I were you...
    Hey! He could buy a Malibu V6 I happen to know just happens to be for sale!

Quote Originally Posted by CrunkedRL View Post
    IMO-----considering this is a Cadillac that you ordered GM should have a totally seperate protocal for due diligence when it comes customer service. In fact I don't even think it should be called customer service but rather consultative services. I think you should have been assigned a "consultant" from corporate (an advocate of sorts similar to that of uber luxury car companies like Bentley) that guides you through every process of the transaction from build to finish and delivery. This would help to eliminate someone dropping the ball along the way or you receiving conflicting information from various sources who do not know or fully understand the process. A well made car will sell itself but if your experience is not enjoyabe from start to finish you may question whether it's worth coming back to the brand at a later date and time. It seems a lil' evident at least from your experience that GM is still saddled by old ways of misjudgement and a cavalier approach to service and accountability.
    Due diligence. If only.

Quote Originally Posted by Bejeweled View Post
    Maybe there is something you can learn from this experience. In addition to your frustrations you have found that not only is GM not a person but a giant corporation that doesn't care or have feelings for customers because they cant and aren't human. And with that understanding comes the realization you should never be loyal to a brand or a corporation. And the next time you go car shopping you won't let a brand name influence your purchase decision. I'm not saying it did this time, I'm just laying it out there for you.

Good luck with your order, sometimes the wait is worth it. Sometimes it's not.
    Oiiii!!

Quote Originally Posted by Slideways View Post
    Yeah, they should have just shipped the cars even though they knew that had an easily correctable issue. That would have proved they care about their customers.
    Knowing WHERE the ordered vehicle is and an EPA would be sorta nice. Just sayin.

15Soul+ 13Charger8A 13Soul 11 200V6 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02AccordV6 01Accord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCivic5m 96Concorde 95Intrepid 94Protege5m 92SHO5m 93Protege5m 92P50Taurus 91Camry5m

People ask the difference between a leader and a boss. The leader leads, and the boss drives. --Theodore Roosevelt

GMI Staff Writer Premium Member ChevyRules's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Saturn Aura XR

Quote Originally Posted by Slideways View Post
    I like that they are doing the repair at the factory. Makes it easier since all the new parts are shipped to one location. The issue I and nsap has is the lack of communication.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar LetsRace's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Grand Prix GT

Very sad to hear this. I agree with the others customer service is critical and that is something GM should be working on.

Thanks

Let's hope the car itself makes up for the delivery snafus.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Slideways's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    12 cylinders via two cars

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
    I like that they are doing the repair at the factory. Makes it easier since all the new parts are shipped to one location. The issue I and nsap has is the lack of communication.
    And that part I totally understand. I get upset when I can't track the keychain I won on eBay.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy4Life View Post

And get in an inferior car that he has already chosen as his #2? Nope.

Customers ordering cars are a very rare thing now. My Cadillac dealer told me that around 5% of his orders are customer orders. Its those special customers that WANT to know about the happenings in their car. They relish the extra information. Its why Corvette owners can take delivery of their car at Bowling Green and tour exactly where it was built!
    Just that time again to ignore certain people. I'm certain they will continue to try and instigate and antagonize while throwing up their arms saying they did nothing but are here on a civil basis. Not worth the time seeing how some just seem to know all.

News Contributor Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 639 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Cadillac ATS

Hey, at least the "inferior car" company will treat you right...
    Current:

2014 Cadillac ATS4 3.6L Premium Collection

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

Past:

2013 Cadillac ATS4 3.6L Premium Collection -> LEMON

2011 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ V6

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information