Poor MPG in 2010 silverado

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poor MPG in 2010 silverado

Walking
    Thanks

Poor MPG in 2010 silverado

I bought a new silverado back in sept of 2010. Its the 5.3 flex fuel. Window sticker says 15-21. I'm yet to see anything over 15 mpg. On highway travel I have never gotten over 350 miles on a tank. And with my regular travels I get right around 300 miles on a tank.
    I have had it back to the dealing 3 times. They plug it into the computer and say everything is fine. Well if its fine why aren't I getting the MPG's that GM brags about?

I have been in contact with a GM customer service rep for over 2 months. He had me take it to another dealer and I had the same results there. They take it into service and 30 minutes later. I'm done and they say there is nothing wrong with the truck. Where do I go from here?? What can I do?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

K-1
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Traverse Black Granite

Re: Poor MPG in 2010 silverado

First things first, the ratings on the sticker are from the EPA, not GM. They are for comparison purposes only from a standardized test, and are not indicative of real world results. As they say, your mileage may vary.

Secondly, there are myriad things that affect your mileage that won't be detected by a scan tool. Most importantly is how you drive and under what conditions.

Do you take lots of short trips? Engines run less efficiently during warm-up. The more miles driven during the warm-up period, the more gas you're using.

Do you live somewhere that is covered in snow at the moment? Cold temperatures increase the warm-up period, using more gas than in warm temperatures.

Is your gas blended with 10% ethanol, or are you using E85? Ethanol has a lower energy content than regular gas, hence worse mileage.

How's your tire pressure? Lower pressure means a greater contact patch, which means more friction, hence worse mileage.

How fast do you drive on the freeway? Higher speed means more aero-drag, hence worse mileage.

That's just a small sampling of your possible issues.

Walking
    Thanks

I understand all those things. I traded a 03 yukon xl on the silverado. I was getting 15-19 mpg's with that. I drive the truck like a ole man trying to get better MPG's. I have several co workers that drive chevy's and one that just bought a 11 and is getting great mileage. And great is 15 -21 or slightly better.

Listen, I'm not asking for anything special. Just get me close. It doesn't have to be 15-21. But what I'm getting now just doesn't cut it.
    Last edited by grizz228; 03-04-2011 at 09:29 AM.

K-1
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Traverse Black Granite

And what are your co-worker's driving conditions? Do you guys fill up at the same station, with the same gas? Drive the same route? Unless the usage is similar, the mileage probably won't be.

Walking
    Thanks

Everything is very similar. And next week we are switching trucks to see if it is me. Because he can't believe it either. So I will let you know how that goes.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6 tomcat_cool17's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevy Cruze LTZ RS

still in break-in period?
    "This is supposed to be a free market. If consumers need fuel efficient cars, it's their responsibility to buy efficient cars."
    "God will either lighten your load or strengthen your back."

Walking
    Thanks

I have 8700 miles on it. I think it should be broken in by now. The gm customer service rep called and said there is nothing they can do. Very poor service. And they wonder why the are losing sales to the other guys. This will be the last gm I buy.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I can tell you my opinion as I have owned a 2007, 3 2008s, 4 2009's, with the 5.3. Prior to the 6 speed transmission and dropping to the 3.42 rearend i was getting 15 to 17. the 09's had the new 6 speed and my mileage dropped in to the 13's. for 2010 i purchased the 6.2 and get in the upper 13's. I am picking up my 2011 on monday also with the 6.2 and 3.73. I think the trucks are too heavy for however they are geared.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grizz228 View Post
    I have 8700 miles on it. I think it should be broken in by now. The gm customer service rep called and said there is nothing they can do. Very poor service. And they wonder why the are losing sales to the other guys. This will be the last gm I buy.
    No, it's not "very poor service." There is literally nothing they can do.

And you'd get the same answer whether you were driving GM, Ford, Dodge, Toyota, Nissan, or Honda.

Your truck has the same engine, transmission, axle ratio, and computer programming of trucks getting better mileage. If there are no fault codes in the system, there is no fix. The computer adjusts fuel/air ratios on your truck just like it does everyone else's.

They can only conclude the difference is either in the fuels you use or your driving habits. Your dealer should run their own fuel mileage test, and show you step by step how they do it, and show you the results.

Regardless of those results, see the part about 'there is nothing they can do'.

None of the manufacturers rate trucks for fuel mileage. That's your good old EPA.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Honda Civic

Moms 2005 z71 crew 5.3 I could get 20 mpg on the highway 14 around town something must have been wrong with it because it got to good. Those numbers on the sticker are averages. There new 2009 they have they get 19 on the highway and 14 around town. If I drive it I get 21 on the highway and 15 around town. I drive different than my parents. How fast do you drive on the highways? how hard do you accelerate? All of these things will affect it also do you have a toolbox? Grillguard? Carry extra weight?

Walking
    Thanks

Well in my opinion it is poor customer service and I should be doing better then 15 highway. I'm gonna do whatever I can to keep everyone I know from buying a silverado. I will be trading mine this summer on a new tundra. At least I know up front that I will be getting excellent fit and finish and the poor MPG.

I wouldn't be complaining if GM wouldn't be advertising 15-21. Better then everyone else. Lies Can you tell I just got back from filling up. 296 miles on 21.6 gallons. And 150 miles of that was highway. 75 miles one way and back. I know I was probably driving into the wind both ways and up hill both ways.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Honda Civic

Well in my opinion it is poor customer service and I should be doing better then 15 highway. I'm gonna do whatever I can to keep everyone I know from buying a silverado. I will be trading mine this summer on a new tundra. At least I know up front that I will be getting excellent fit and finish and the poor MPG.

I wouldn't be complaining if GM wouldn't be advertising 15-21. Better then everyone else. Lies Can you tell I just got back from filling up. 296 miles on 21.6 gallons. And 150 miles of that was highway. 75 miles one way and back. I know I was probably driving into the wind both ways and up hill both ways.
    For every one I dont get the miles there are 10 that do. Those numbers are an average look at the window sticker it even says so on there. Let someone you know try it and see how they do . I have several companies that track the mileage of there fleet of trucks Silverado's get them the best mpg's. If they dont get the right miles they change drivers guess what more often than not that solves the problem.

GMI Staff Writer Premium Member ChevyRules's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Saturn Aura XR

Do you complain when you don't get the advertised battery life out of your electronics?

Much like battery life, there are so many variables that go into fuel economy. Can you describe your driving habits? Have you driven your friends Silverado yet and see if you could get better numbers in his truck?

The 15/21 MPG rating is done by a standardized testing method setup by the EPA. GM isn't doing any false advertising and you getting lower fuel economy doesn't mean there is something wrong with your truck necessarily.

Though I do agree getting 15 MPG on the highway sucks. I am no expert on engines, but is it possible that something is wrong with the engine that wouldn't throw a code?

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Yeah he wont tell us his driving habits like where he lives how much time he lets it idle to warm up what kinda fuel he is running speeds on the freeway etc.
    2015 White Double Cab Chevrolet Silverado Longbed 2500HD 4x4 4:10 Gears 6 Speed
    2011 Dark Blue Chevrolet Traverse LS AWD

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Suziebob's Avatar
    Thanks

The EPA advertised numbers are just a basis for comparison. Your individual mileage can and will vary. Unless there's a problem with the truck, you'll likely get close to the same efficiency out of a Tundra.

But if you really want to buy a Toyota, do it. And when it doesn't hit the EPA estimates, make sure to tell all your friends how crappy it is.
    "When one side only of a story is heard and often repeated, the human mind becomes impressed with it insensibly."
    -George Washington

"You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do."
    -Henry Ford

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information