More problems with the Equinox.....

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More problems with the Equinox.....

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion V6

More problems with the Equinox.....

So this winter has been rough on the Equinox, and it is taking it like a total wimp (would rather swear, but I can't).

It's a 2010 Chevy Equinox 3.0L AWD, built 09/09. On cold starts it hesitates and balks, then when it finally fires up there is a high pitched shriek coming from underneath the car that is accompanied by a low rattle. It goes away after a few minutes and then sounds normal. Its always had some hesitation in the cold since we first bought it, but now it has that horrible noise.

Driving it a few days ago, the check engine light flashed 5-6 times and then went away. Called OnStar, obviously no codes came up, but the adviser suggested it was a misfire. About two years ago around this time, fuel injector #6 was replaced under warranty, and the HP fuel pump was replaced (for the second or third time in several months).

The car has about 47K miles, and has had a history of problems with the injection system. I really want to get rid of it at this point.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Re: More problems with the Equinox.....

If it were me and I could afford to get rid of it (not way upside down or anything) I would go ahead and get rid of it while it's worth something. A big part of a new/newer car is suppose to be not having problems with it.....

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

If the ck engine light flashed 5-6 times, codes should have come up. Did you call OnStar before turning off the ignition after the light came on?

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion V6
    I called OnStar immediatly after it happened.

Jo Momma

Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

Quote Originally Posted by mrDenali View Post
    So this winter has been rough on the Equinox, and it is taking it like a total wimp (would rather swear, but I can't).

It's a 2010 Chevy Equinox 3.0L AWD, built 09/09. On cold starts it hesitates and balks, then when it finally fires up there is a high pitched shriek coming from underneath the car that is accompanied by a low rattle. It goes away after a few minutes and then sounds normal. Its always had some hesitation in the cold since we first bought it, but now it has that horrible noise.

Driving it a few days ago, the check engine light flashed 5-6 times and then went away. Called OnStar, obviously no codes came up, but the adviser suggested it was a misfire. About two years ago around this time, fuel injector #6 was replaced under warranty, and the HP fuel pump was replaced (for the second or third time in several months).

The car has about 47K miles, and has had a history of problems with the injection system. I really want to get rid of it at this point.
    did you buy the Engine block heater option for it?

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion V6
    No. Again its only being starting this way this winter.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6 GM Customer Service's Avatar
    Thanks

Hi mrDenali,
    So sorry to hear about the issues you are experiencing with your vehicle; We'd be happy to look into any relevant resources or warranty information that may be applicable to your situation. Please feel free to PM us with your contact information (name, phone number), VIN, mileage and name of dealer and we'd be happy to look into this further for you.

Thank you,
    Sara (Assisting Katie)
    GM Customer Service
    Follow us @GMCustomerSvc on Twitter.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar tripowergto's Avatar
    Thanks

Time to get it gone!
    http://www.resurrectpontiac.com/

14 Torch Red 1LT Corvette 455HP 7SPD
    14 Crystal Red Volt w/heated cloth
    10 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS 426HP 6SPD "MAIDEN" (TOTALED!)
    09 Stryker Blue Pontiac G8 GT w/sport/prem/sunroof
    06 GTO 400HP LS2 6SPD(traded)
    02 Firebird Formula LS1 HURST 6SPD(1st new car)
    83 El Camino Conquista 350(RIP G8 ST)
    70 GTO - 65 & 69 GTO Conv http://realrockpro.com/

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Have you tried taking it to an authorized Chevrolet dealer for diagnosis and repair under the 5-year / 100,000 mile powertrain warranty?

Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

No. Again its only being starting this way this winter.
    It sounds to me like an engine block heater for cold weather might solve ya problemos.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

No reflection on you, but I call BS on no codes after a flashing check engine light. There would at least have to be a history code on the same engine cycle.

Thanks

Get it scanned...codes don't "disappear". If the light was on, they will be in memory.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar linton23's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Honda Civic

I have seen battery issues cause the check engine light to flash with no codes but there are other lights as well.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion V6
    Quote Originally Posted by 1999 White C5 Coupe View Post
    Have you tried taking it to an authorized Chevrolet dealer for diagnosis and repair under the 5-year / 100,000 mile powertrain warranty?
    I have an appointment monday. Ive had all servicing done at Hoskins Chevy.

Ive never needed an engine block heater.

Onstar picked up no codes, so idk.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) AMERICA 123's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Quote Originally Posted by GM Customer Service View Post
    Hi mrDenali,
    So sorry to hear about the issues you are experiencing with your vehicle; We'd be happy to look into any relevant resources or warranty information that may be applicable to your situation. Please feel free to PM us with your contact information (name, phone number), VIN, mileage and name of dealer and we'd be happy to look into this further for you.

Thank you,
    Sara (Assisting Katie)
    GM Customer Service

As always - nice to see the response.

If I may suggest, make a note somewhere or whatever..... for a semi robust fuel tank sampling and analysis.

1. ) As you may or may not know, one of the three or four largest fuel distributors in the Chicago / Chicagoland area is notorious in all ways possible for such a business . This includes but is in no way, limited to ****ty, and or bad fuel - @ delivery.

2. ) Again, as you may or may not know, we have had of late three or more fuel quality 'stories' including what was an agonizing and prolonged one - a long drawn out type of a three parter concerning BP who finally developed a repair / replacement program easily accessible by computer. This of course involved much more than just the BP branded fuel - and also covered parts of NW and centralish Indiana. The other two were by others and were not quite as dramatic. Your internal information systems ( 'somewhere' ) can help find these other two. Again multiple brands involved especially with regard to the one.

3. ) Some top tier fuel has had problems in the area - trust me on this one - have four or five ( tbd ) sittin' around somewhere awaitin' 'resolution' - because of this. So far, seems to be either about rogue deliveries...... and or station 'tank' 'management'.

4. ) From a reputable industry source - we're having certain kinds of problems in the area again - somewhat in a partially generic sense.

5. ) Not telling you or anyone else their business but obviously when this kinda' fail pattern is present - the fuel at the very least is high on the list of possibles.
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 02-27-2013 at 12:04 AM.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression ó and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain ó " Matt Taibbi

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information