GMC Truck Paint Peeling

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GMC Truck Paint Peeling

Walking
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 GMC 2500 HD Durmax

Unhappy GMC Truck Paint Peeling

I purchased a 2008 GMC 2500 HD Duramax on December 30, 2008. Since this truck was new, it has been garage kept and washed and waxed regularly. About 6 months ago, I noticed the paint starting to peal on the hood. I contacted GM who put me in touch with their Houston Texas area representative, Heather. We spoke on the phone and worked a deal for me to take the truck to my local GMC dealer for inspection. At the dealership, the body shop assistant manager took some scotch tape and taped it to the driver’s side rearview mirror and pealed the clear coat off. He told me this was to prove to GM that there was actually a problem with the paint. After this, Heather contacted me and made a deal with me for GM to repaint the pealing panels for a $250.00 co-pay. I thought this was a fair settlement. However, when I took my truck to the dealership, the assistant manager told me he would have to inspect the truck to find which panels were damaged and contact GM again. My truck sat at the dealership for a week and had not been inspected. I picked up the truck and told the assistant manager when he had time to inspect the truck to call me and I would bring it back down but, I needed the truck for transportation and couldn’t have it sitting waiting on service. The area representative, Heather, called me again and told me the terms had changed as far as the repairs were concerned. It is my understanding from talking to the body shop assistant manager that the dealer service manager did not like having to paint the panels for a $250.00 co-pay. So, the deal was changed to only paint the driver’s door, the hood and the roof. This does not cover all the pealing panels, and I told Heather that the whole cab needed painted to which she said too bad, take the deal or leave it. It has been several months since I have dealt with this and I am trying to get some closure to this problem. I am willing to pay a higher co-pay if necessary to get the whole cab painted. The peeling paint is confined to the cab of the truck. The bed has not been affected. I would appreciate it if someone out there could put me in contact with someone other than Heather as she stated to me last time I talked to here that “the decision is my to be made and there is no one over me that you can talk too. So, take it or leave it.” It is also strange, that she told me she has no access to e-mail or fax where she works to send me documentation of our conversations.
    Well, if there is anyone out there who can help me, I would appreciate it. Other that this problem, the truck is OK however, it looks like a 15 year old clunker.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: GMC Truck Paint Peeling

Is this the same dealer that you purchased the truck from originally?

If not, that's who you need to be talking to.

You being a business person can understand a business person who has no investment with you not wanting to take a financial hit to repaint your truck?

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Tomko's Avatar
    Thanks

Great dispassionate post from a new member. A refreshing change from the usual ranting and raving.

I'm sure someone can offer you some helpful advice. MrCritical, come on down!

For myself all I can contribute at this time is that you better NOT get MAACO.
    Tomko

Current Fleet:
    2014 Cruze Diesel (daily grinder)
    2008 DTS Lux III (pleasure craft)
    1996 Impala SS (garage queen)

Retired Fleet:
    1999 Tahoe PPV (14.5 years / 135,879 miles)
    1988 Caprice 9C1 (first new car)
    1984 6000 STE (first car)

Banned
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '13 F150, '09 G37, '10 R6

Premature peeling paint is not uncommon on GM trucks. We have seen several of our Silverados with peeling paint. According to my dealer it occurs on the lighter colored trucks. I get the same deal you did (after bumper to bumper warranty period) $250 copay. The dealer was happy to paint every panel with peeling or fading as they were getting reimbursed by GM. Usually the repaint was hood roof fenders and sometimes the bed.

You need to talk to a more cooperative dealer who will get you the hidden warranty on the peeling paint.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrCritical View Post
    Is this the same dealer that you purchased the truck from originally?

If not, that's who you need to be talking to.

You being a business person can understand a business person who has no investment with you not wanting to take a financial hit to repaint your truck?
    If GM pays the dealer for the work, except the co-pay paid by the customer, how is the dealer taking a "financial hit"? Isn't there a chance the dealer will gain a new customer?

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Honda Civic

Quote Originally Posted by 1999 White C5 Coupe View Post
    If GM pays the dealer for the work, except the co-pay paid by the customer, how is the dealer taking a "financial hit"? Isn't there a chance the dealer will gain a new customer?

Because the price GM will pay will not match the true cost of the repair. If the work is outsourced the dealer could be expected to make up the difference.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Honda Civic

Years back I had a Mitsubishi Eclipse that the roof,hood and rear hatch clear coat cracked. The dealer would only paint the upper parts that were cracking so 6 months latter the top of the door panel and the front fenders did the same they would not fix. I agree it would be best if they did the whole cab but they may not.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1999 White C5 Coupe View Post
    "Buying customers" almost never works.

This is out of factory warranty so it's considered 'goodwill'. The customer pays a portion. The factory pays a portion, and the dealer (who never profited a dime on this customer) pays a portion-plus gets to do the repair at warranty rates (not exactly profitable).

The fair thing to do is to get the selling dealer involved so they (who profited from the sale of the unit) can get a bite of this pie. Also, it gives them the opportunity to satisfy and keep the customer they already have an investment in.

Walking
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 GMC 2500 HD Durmax

Hey guys,
    Thanks for the responses. I will try to address each of them.

1. The truck was taken to the dealer it was purchased from. That being said, the dealership has moved and changed names (owners?) since the truck was bought.
    2. The truck is black. I don't mind paying a co-pay, I just want my truck fixed.
    3. Originally, I contacted GM direct. They called me and asked which dealer I would like to take it too. So, I told them the dealer I bought it from. GM then contacted the body shop assistant manager at the dealer and made a deal with them to paint the truck for the $250.00 co-pay. When I took the truck to the dealer, the service manager apparently didn't realize from the telephone conversation with GM that the whole cab would need repainted. At that time, the service manager apparently changed his mind and contacted GM who then changed the terms to only paint 3 panels.
    My problem is, I have no proof of any of this because the GM factory rep I dealt with told me she does not have access to e-mail, a fax machine and cannot snail mail me anything on this. Everything is word of mouth.

rvj
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado LT

Quote Originally Posted by Tomko View Post

For myself all I can contribute at this time is that you better NOT get MAACO.
    So you're saying Maaco would do a worse job than he already has?
    No Camly for my famry.

2014 Silverado
    Bob.

doh
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 doh's Avatar
    Thanks

Having sold GM Vehicles through the ALPO Primer era. With the masking tape test. I hear your concerns.

GM hates paying anything Paint related. And Maaco isn't going to paint your entire car for the $299 (or what ever they advertise) it for.

It is a Big job, to strip the old (bad) paint down to metal, and start fresh. This maybe why the Dealer is hesitant to do it. Co Pay usually means, GM pays 1/3, Dealer pays 1/3, and customer pays 1/3. The Dealer doesn't want to pay it's 1/3.

I personally can't blame it, It is a GM fault. And GM is not owning up to it.

Yes you are past your Warranty period, and GM doesn't have to do anything. But GM admits a fault when they are willing to pay 1/3 of the repair. So GM has seen this before. Or they would tell you to "Go Pound Salt".

The Dealer is looking at it and thinking "I have to repair and paint each panel for $500," and is thinking "I am going to lose $$$/panel"

Thats what I think you are dealing with.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar XP300's Avatar
    Thanks

Hunter1954,

PM your problem to the member "GM Customer Service". You can find her answers on some of the other letters in this forum. She usually asks for your name and the last 8 digits of your VIN. Try it and see what happens.
    -
    The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) released a new survey today, apparently 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population

Walking
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1980 z28 camaro yellow

I've worked at a bodyshop for years and for myself the problem is in the primer not the paint gm made a big mistake .The only way to fix this is to strip the old primer and use a good
    quality primer my fav is dupont .It's not right what they are doing but like someone else said this is a big expensive job and gm will not do it the right way.I would see if they could cough up some cash toward this and spend it at a shop that cares about there work .Painting panels to match just won't happen the color will be diffrent I don't care who paints it you will notice the diffrence .So don't fall for it and keep going higher in the chain if they value you as a gm customer

Walking
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1980 z28 camaro yellow

I've worked at a bodyshop for years and for myself the problem is in the primer not the paint gm made a big mistake .The only way to fix this is to strip the old primer and use a good
    quality primer my fav is dupont .It's not right what they are doing but like someone else said this is a big expensive job and gm will not do it the right way.I would see if they could cough up some cash toward this and spend it at a shop that cares about there work .Painting panels to match just won't happen the color will be diffrent I don't care who paints it you will notice the diffrence .So don't fall for it and keep going higher in the chain if they value you as a gm customer

Walking
    Thanks

Lightbulb Re: GMC Truck Paint Peeling

Hey
    Agree with 80camaro
    My 2007 GMC Sierra started to peel last year paint(black) and primer, like it didn't adhere properly.. I was told last year it was out of warranty. Recently I have heard of many others with the same issue so I am trying again. I purchased it new in June 2007 I have spoke to my dealer and GMC Canada. Truck well maintained and washed n waxed.
    So far nothing but I am sending pics to both today, see what happens this time.
    Last edited by boone10; 05-09-2013 at 03:48 PM.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information