frame beaming

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: frame beaming

Walking
    Thanks

Angry frame beaming

i have an 09 , 2500hd , crewcab . would like to know what gives gm the right to sell hundreds of thousands of trucks without informing the consumer ( before they buy it ) that they may be spending there hard earned money on a truck that may have issues with there frames. the issue is called FRAME BEAMING , a term that they have named themselves and because they named it , it must just be a normal characteristic of the vehicle .. i have had the issue on the last 3 chevrolet trucks that i have owned , a 2000 - 1500 extended cab which gm bought back after about 8 months of argueing , a 2003 -2500 crewcab which eventually i got rid of in 05 , and now this 09. how can you have a bulletin combining the years from 1999 - 2011 for the same issue and never correct it. the only fix that is used to possibly help the situation is the replacement of the rear 2 cab mounts, which 90% of the time has not fixed the issue. for those of u who dont know what the issue is it is like having one of your rear tires not balance , always a little shimmy in the rear of the truck... i have spent close to $3000 to try and fix the issue myself , bought new aftermarket rims ( xd series rims ) along with new tires , did not fix , new bilstein 5100 shocks all the way around , did not fix , sold new xd rims and tires at a loss and bought brand new factory chevrolet rims from the dealer and new tires ,still did not fix. one of my best friends bought a new 2011 , 2500hd extended cab back in june 011 , truck had the same exact issue with 4000 miles he put on . when he bought truck dealer told him it was the tire get flat spots in them and would go away in a few hundred miles . 4000 miles later he traded it in on a new DODGE. i have informed friends and strangers to not buy gm, hope they listen.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Lowboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: frame beaming

Well I've had many 1 ton crew cabs from the '70s up to the current 2000 model.
    All had a harmonic bounce/hop going down the interstate when empty. Any amount of ballast in the box and truck settled down.
    If that is what he is complaining about I'd consider it a non-issue. Want a nicer ride, buy a car.
    If that new dodge had a solid front axle let us know how he likes it when the front end wears out and starts wandering or suffering from death wobble.
    I've had a few dodges and poured many $$ into steering/suspension parts.

b4z
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Pontiac GTO M6 QSM/ black

There was a post about this here in 2010.

Banned
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '13 F150, '09 G37, '10 R6

Contrary to the delusional GM Fanboys on this site, this is actually an issue with most if not all GM's 1500 - 2500 trucks. We have had this shaking problem with almost all of our company Silverados when empty or very lightly loaded. Sometimes is is subtle sometimes it is very annoying and rattles the whole cab. Our experience has been that is you take it to a GM dealer they go through denial, then "you are the only person with this problem" to it is normal live with it. However if you persist long enough they should fix it for you as it is a well known and understood issue. Apparently they use very inexpensive cab mounts that don't absorb frame flex throughout the frequency range. They can install better mounts that absolutely fix the problem.

Here are the part numbers from our service records:
    Upper Mount 25791031 Qty 2
    Lower Mount 25791032 Qty 2
    Washer 15854745 Qty 4
    Last edited by andretti; 01-24-2012 at 08:51 AM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Andretti, I (as one of the delusional Fanboys) have no problem with your fix. I'm sure it's what's needed.

snowblind, on the other hand, has a problem with your math. You say "mounts that absolutely fix the problem".

He says, "90% of the time has not fixed the issue." Personally, I think he just wanted a Dodge, and I have a hard time believing anyone would spend $3k on an '09 truck vibration issue. But I have seen stranger(less intelligent) things.

I don't say the issue has never occured. I can tell you the frequency I came across a customer complaint of it since I started at the GM dealer in 1994 which retails appx 800 trucks a year, and services many more. And I see all the repair orders.

One.

PS-I went back and pulled the repair order for our "one".

Technician notes: Aftermarket wheels and modified suspension.
    Last edited by MrCritical; 01-24-2012 at 08:50 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andretti View Post
    Contrary to the delusional GM Fanboys on this site, this is actually an issue with most if not all GM's 1500 - 2500 trucks.
    I'm not delusional about the issue. The passenger seat back shakes at certain speeds on some roads in my 3500 series truck.
    I just look at it and shrug my shoulders, meh, empty truck. My SRW Dodges rode rough empty too.
    Since the mounts are out there I might pick up () a pair and see if they fit the older body style.
    Mounts break down over time so why not upgrade to a better mount??

Thanks

Contrary to the delusional GM Fanboys on this site, this is actually an issue with most if not all GM's 1500 - 2500 trucks. We have had this shaking problem with almost all of our company Silverados when empty or very lightly loaded. Sometimes is is subtle sometimes it is very annoying and rattles the whole cab. Our experience has been that is you take it to a GM dealer they go through denial, then "you are the only person with this problem" to it is normal live with it. However if you persist long enough they should fix it for you as it is a well known and understood issue. Apparently they use very inexpensive cab mounts that don't absorb frame flex throughout the frequency range. They can install better mounts that absolutely fix the problem.

Washer 15854745 Qty 4
    +1..This is a real issue. my '02 Sierra 2500HD does the same thing. 200 lbs in the back doesn't really help. I've lived with it to over 200k miles, but as I am waiting for the MY2014 to come out, I will bring this up in my purchase negotiations, and make sure I find a dealer that will order the better cab mounts and put them on at no cost to me prior to delivery. **If you want to dig into this further, go to the "duramax forum" website. You'll find plenty on this very real issue.
    2002 Sierra 2500 HD dmax/allison

243,000 miles and counting

Thanks

This is the sort of ignorant comment that COULD lead someone to conclude you are nothing more than a delusional "GM fanboy"
    no arguement there, but comparing a Ridgeline to a Silverado regardless of the EPA/DMV calling the honda a p/u is delusional IMO.

I've owned Dodge Diesel before, leaf sprung, coil sprung, short bed, long bed, ext cab, reg cab.
    GM crew cabs from a '77 to 2000, gas-diesel, 2wd-4wd, manual-auto, loaded-stripped, SRW-DRW.
    I'll stick with my thought that if you drive your truck empty so ofter the ride concerns you , get a car. Or a Ridgeline.

Banned
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Lowboy View Post
    no arguement there, but comparing a Ridgeline to a Silverado regardless of the EPA/DMV calling the honda a p/u is delusional IMO.

I've owned Dodge Diesel before, leaf sprung, coil sprung, short bed, long bed, ext cab, reg cab.
    GM crew cabs from a '77 to 2000, gas-diesel, 2wd-4wd, manual-auto, loaded-stripped, SRW-DRW.
    I'll stick with my thought that if you drive your truck empty so ofter the ride concerns you , get a car. Or a Ridgeline.
    We run Silverados and Ridgelines towing 2500# covered trailers and 400-600# in the bed with 1-3 people in the cabs. In this situation the Ridgelines out perform the Silverados in all measurable metrics. I personally prefer the look/image of the Silverados so we continue to split the fleet.
    Last edited by andretti; 03-29-2013 at 02:34 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by MrCritical View Post
    They have a crack problem in Denver if you think a dealer is going to eat the cost of cab mounts on an 10 year old truck. Now you might find one willing to roll the cost over into the price of your new one. If you don't believe this is what's happening, just leave the new truck out of the equation all together, and find one just to eat the cost of the mounts. I'll wait here for their name, address, and phone number
    I believe he wants to have the new/better mounts installed on the new truck he is going to purchase. That way it will ride properly from the start.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Washer 15854745 Qty 4

Although the original post was confusing and poorly written, this response is very informative, logical and well written. Thank you.

Thanks

I believe he wants to have the new/better mounts installed on the new truck he is going to purchase. That way it will ride properly from the start.
    wow, you don't have to attack so much Mr.Critical..you obviously didn't read my post, but if you are trying to keep your image up to the level of your name, you are spot on..geesh
    2002 Sierra 2500 HD dmax/allison

243,000 miles and counting

Banned
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by MrCritical View Post
    Hold up a minute. You think GM hasn't upgraded cab bushings by the 2012> MY?
    I can attest to the fact that the cab mount bushings are not upgraded on 2011's. If they are using the better mounts on 2012 I wouldn't know as we won't be getting any 2012's until June -July.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Barry Badrinath's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 300C AWD

Out of the (10) Silverados we have put into service since 2007, (9) of them have exhibited the shaking problem to the extent that we had to have them serviced. The proper fix is (4) cab mounts replaced not (2).... I stand by my recommendation as it has fixed the shaking 9 out of 9 times - Replace all (4) cab mounts with the better GM mounts.
    Fair enough andretti (nice objective comments, btw).

From what I have read on other googled threads, the parts necessary for two mounts, was @$120 (no labor). So even if we double it for four mounts in total, and add for labor, how much has your company been charged on a per vehicle basis?

Surely not $3 grand.
    It took 30 years to realize I DO like Corinthian leather...

Banned
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Badrinath View Post
    Fair enough andretti (nice objective comments, btw).

From what I have read on other googled threads, the parts necessary for two mounts, was @$120 (no labor). So even if we double it for four mounts in total, and add for labor, how much has your company been charged on a per vehicle basis?

Surely not $3 grand.
    You are correct! The only vehicles we actually paid to have corrected were each less than $650. After those we had each of the others upgraded at the first oil change, so still under warranty. However, if we had done all of the dealer suggested fixes (tires, wheels, shocks), it most certainly would have approached $3000.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information