Flickering Lights On My Gmc Envoy

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Closed Thread

Thread: Flickering Lights On My Gmc Envoy

Walking
    Thanks

Unhappy Flickering Lights On My Gmc Envoy

My 2004 GMC Envoy XL has flickering dashboard and headlights. I have taken it to the Weld County Garage Service Dept where it was purchased for this problem. They told me they were instructed not to fix the problem that GM was attempting to gather data regarding this problem.

They did clean the inside of the battery cables that attach to the battery because they battery kept failing during the diagnostics. A slight film was found on the inside of the cables. They cleaned them and advised this might fix the problem. It has not!

The lights still flicker no matter what time of day it is, no matter the temperature or time of day.

Can anyone help me as to who can fix this. I do not want to have to pay for this because I am afraid it is an electrical problem and we all know that could still be VERY expensive.

Please someone at GM help me with this problem.

Thank You
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member shadams's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Flickering Lights On My Gmc Envoy

Quote Originally Posted by KARI GONZALES
    My 2004 GMC Envoy XL has flickering dashboard and headlights. I have taken it to the Weld County Garage Service Dept where it was purchased for this problem. They told me they were instructed not to fix the problem that GM was attempting to gather data regarding this problem.

They did clean the inside of the battery cables that attach to the battery because they battery kept failing during the diagnostics. A slight film was found on the inside of the cables. They cleaned them and advised this might fix the problem. It has not!

The lights still flicker no matter what time of day it is, no matter the temperature or time of day.

Can anyone help me as to who can fix this. I do not want to have to pay for this because I am afraid it is an electrical problem and we all know that could still be VERY expensive.

Thank You
    Some helpful info:

A concern regarding headlamps flicker or become dim while driving may be easily mis-diagnosed. It is very important to capture as much information from the customer as possible. Below is a guideline to assist with diagnostics.

Verify the customers specific concern.

• What time of day does this occur (is it light or dark outside) ?

• What driving conditions (vehicle speed, engine speed, throttle position, etc...)?

• What was the outside ambient temperature when the condition occurred?

• What accessories was the driver using when this condition occurred (A/C, heated seats, rear defogger, etc...)?

• If the concern is at dusk, could it be the automatic headlamps changing from DRL to Headlamp mode and possibly back to DRL again?

• Are there any other relevant operating conditions?

Diagnostic Information

• Service Bulletin - 02-06-03-008A - Info - Low Voltage Display on IP Gauge, Lights Dim at Stop Lights, Battery Discharged, No Start, Slow Cranking, Dim Lights at Idle, Low Generator Output (SI Document ID #1540541)

• Service Bulletin - 02-06-03-006B - No Start, No Crank, Battery, Batteries, Generator, Gages, SES, SIR, Brake, Security, Theft, ABS, Hot, DIC Messages, Lamp, Light, Battery and Generator Diagnostic Testing and Cadillac Roadside Service (SI Document ID #1563904)

• Service Information - Exterior Lighting Systems Description and Operation (SI Document ID #826321)

• Service Information - Battery Inspection/Test (Non-HP2) (SI Document ID #653410)

• Service Information - Charging System Test (SI Document ID #1468059)

• Service Information - Inspect for aftermarket devices that could affect the operation of the system. Refer to Checking Aftermarket Accessories in Wiring Systems (SI Document ID #816776)

Important:

• Keep in mind high current draw items may cause a noticeable dimming of lights and a fluctuation in the voltmeter may be noted and is a normal operating characteristic of the vehicle.

• For 2004-2005 TrailBlazer, Envoy, Rainier and Bravada with the LL8 4.2L engine only, the Secondary Air Injection (AIR) pump activation is thought to be the main contributor to this high current draw condition and is a normal operating characteristic of the vehicle. Refer to Secondary Air Injection System Description (SI Document ID #1298539).

For customers whose driving habits tend to run the AIR pump diagnostic test that leads to concerns with the headlight flickering, if the vehicle is allowed to idle for 20 seconds prior to driving, this should allow the passive test to pass and prevent from running the active test that may dim the lights. The passive test should/will usually pass 99 percent of the time, and by allowing the 20 second idle period, it should almost eliminate the active test. Be sure to check for codes and correct related concerns if this condition repeats.

Additional high current draw items are rear window defogger, HVAC blower motor, rear air suspension pump along with other components.

For easier diagnostics, it may be possible to control or monitor these components with a scan tool.

It is important to inspect all related connections, grounds and battery terminals for integrity . A loose or corroded connection may exaggerate the concern, and may cause other symptoms. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections (SI Document ID #1470165).

Corrections/repairs should only be made for specific concerns identified and not related to characteristic of high current draw components.

DO THIS
    DON'T DO THIS

Verify the customer concern.

Repairs should ONLY be made if a specific concern is identified.
    DO NOT replace the Generator P/N's:

unless a specific concern is Identified.

Generators replaced and returned to the Warranty Parts Center (WPC) for review have been tested with No Trouble Found (NTF).

Attempts to repair this condition WITHOUT pinpointing a specific concern may lead to a repeat repair and a dissatisfied customer.

General Motors encourages dealers to share this information with concerned customers.

As you can see there isnt really one thing in particular thats causing the issue, so it makes it hard to know what to do. Good luck.

Sorry Sonoma, you snooze you lose!!
    "Contrary to common belief, planning is complicated and is not run by complete idiots, so you'll just have to trust that the decisions were made on good information that's not made available to you."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GMCSonoma
    I didn't know this was a race???

LOL, anyways... Sonoma doesn't look up this information whilst at home!!!
    Haha, yea, I dont either usually, I just thought it would be funny..... see ya!
    "Contrary to common belief, planning is complicated and is not run by complete idiots, so you'll just have to trust that the decisions were made on good information that's not made available to you."

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KARI GONZALES

Thank You
    If you feel this is a saftey issue, you may choose to file a complaint with the nhtsa at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov. They collect information and innitiate government investigations which ultimately can lead to mandated recalls on vehicles with saftey issues. Good Luck.

Walking
    Thanks

Have same issue: a 2005 Trailblazer 4X4 with headlights and dashlights badly flickering / pulsating. Currently happens about 2-3 times a month. Seems that shutting off and restarting car corrects the problem. Dealer gave me a copy of a TSB but it wasn't exactly specific to my problem. Said there was nothing they could really do other than a check of the alternator - so no fix. I have always been a fan of GM products but this Trailblazer has numerous small issues - quality is suspect. Will definitely consider other makes from now on.

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Call Gm customer service and file a complaint.. Don't fix ids just a quick answer. String the customer along. I have a 2006 Uplander The first week it had problems. In the shop hte 2nd week.. Only to be told there is no fix... Thats @300 miles.. Remind you that two weeks old.. Called customer help desk. To be told it could take 2 yrs before there is a fix... Well The wife willn't drive it.. The new car sit in my garage. The low oil pressure light comes on. The dealer said the oil pressure is fine.. They can't find the problem. They have somebody else Uplander a torn apart.. My van is now 1 month and 22 days old... And the dealer with the help for Gm. They can't fix the other customers. We told to buy it back or fix it... They keep telling my wife they might have a fix... Well that just don't sit right with us... Gm just drags their feet... Another car sold and posted. They make billons in sales. And cry when they have spend money on warranty work... Thats a loss for them... I know because I work for a import car manufacturer. Warranty cuts into profits... Keep hounding the dealer. Keep calling Gm..Ask to see the factory service rep. Call the dealer owner...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tycoon
    Call Gm customer service and file a complaint.. Don't fix ids just a quick answer. String the customer along. I have a 2006 Uplander The first week it had problems. In the shop hte 2nd week.. Only to be told there is no fix... Thats @300 miles.. Remind you that two weeks old.. Called customer help desk. To be told it could take 2 yrs before there is a fix... Well The wife willn't drive it.. The new car sit in my garage. The low oil pressure light comes on. The dealer said the oil pressure is fine.. They can't find the problem. They have somebody else Uplander a torn apart.. My van is now 1 month and 22 days old... And the dealer with the help for Gm. They can't fix the other customers. We told to buy it back or fix it... They keep telling my wife they might have a fix... Well that just don't sit right with us... Gm just drags their feet... Another car sold and posted. They make billons in sales. And cry when they have spend money on warranty work... Thats a loss for them... I know because I work for a import car manufacturer. Warranty cuts into profits... Keep hounding the dealer. Keep calling Gm..Ask to see the factory service rep. Call the dealer owner...
    You know..............................Listen, I feel for you and your problems, but you are the exception. There are tons and tons of vehicles out there that there owners love. Every time someone has a problem you come in the thread and tell your story, and it's getting old. Notice she hasnt responded to any posts, maybe its fixed, or is that hard to believe. I am a advisor at a gm dealership and we have NEVER had a vehicle that couldnt be fixed, and if it came down to getting a GM engineer out here, it was done in a timely manner. Again I feel for you and your issues, but please stop trying to turn every issue into a flame against GM.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar FamilyTruckster's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Avalanche -Inferno Orange

Way to tell em, Shadams. We don't need that stuff around here. We're only trying to help.

If he/she works for an import car manufacturer why didn't he/she buy from that manufacturer?

GM Pro Certified Sales Consultant/Business Manager
    - 2011 Avalanche - Inferno Orange

Walking
    Thanks

I have an '05 GMC Envoy SLT that has the same problem. I've only owned it six months, since Nov '05. I dealt with the flickering lights until just a couple of months ago. I had that issue looked at while installing step rails. I was told this was a typical issue with Envoys and they only needed to 'tighten' some bolts. When I initially mentioned the problem I also noted that I would get the 'shock' of my life while exiting the Envoy and asked if it could be a grounding issue but they said no. Anyway. The problem was solved for a few days but it started all over again and it gets worse as time goes on. Before I took it in the first time it was so bad I could feel the engine surge in unison with the flickering of the headlights and dashlights.

I'm searching the internet for lemon law info and other comments regarding this same issue. Other than that I don't know what else to do except complain to DOT about the safety issue of intermittent lights during nighttime driving.

Tracie

Walking
    Thanks

Just let your truck idle for 20 seconds before driving away as stated in the TSB. That worked for me.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information