Flickering Lights in 2005 Vans Relay ,Montana,Uplander

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flickering Lights in 2005 Vans Relay ,Montana,Uplander

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Flickering Lights in 2005 Vans Relay ,Montana,Uplander

Ok now I am getting Fu&*ing ticked, twice now I`ve been almost cut off by Tractor trailers, they must assume that I am giving the flash to change lanes.....GM you make me scratch my car you will one sorry bunch of mother.........come on somebody on this site must know someone or know something.....you Saturn employees viewing this have a heart and ask questions, would you want to sell a vehicle that one day has an accident or is involved in one knowing that it was possibly caused by a electrical lighting issue. I phone the dealership, I phone the Gm customer line no answers.grrr
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 73ChevelleSS's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Flickering Lights in 2005 Vans Relay ,Montana,Uplander

Quote Originally Posted by hammy233
    Ok now I am getting Fu&*ing ticked, twice now I`ve been almost cut off by Tractor trailers, they must assume that I am giving the flash to change lanes.....GM you make me scratch my car you will one sorry bunch of mother.........come on somebody on this site must know someone or know something.....you Saturn employees viewing this have a heart and ask questions, would you want to sell a vehicle that one day has an accident or is involved in one knowing that it was possibly caused by a electrical lighting issue. I phone the dealership, I phone the Gm customer line no answers.grrr
    Well maybe if you explain your situation in plain english someone would do some reasearch for you.I am a GM tech so calm down and explain what is going on,and maybe i can help you.

Walking
    Thanks

There seems to be an electrical power issue with the lighting sytem. It can't maintain a steady current. My Uplander exhibits this condition also. I watched the battery gage to see if the system detects it and has the capability of displaying the fluctuation, it doesn't. The headlights dim and brighten while the vehicle is being driven. It's very noticable and annoying.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ExDelcoGal01
    There seems to be an electrical power issue with the lighting sytem. It can't maintain a steady current. My Uplander exhibits this condition also. I watched the battery gage to see if the system detects it and has the capability of displaying the fluctuation, it doesn't. The headlights dim and brighten while the vehicle is being driven. It's very noticable and annoying.
    I guess you should have the truck checked out.I will tell you that most of the time it is a normal condition.There is a bulletin which covers basically GM vehicles.Without driving the vehicle it is hard to say if it is normal or not.An example would be that people complain that their lights dim when you have a lot of accesories turned on,whhich is a normal condition.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hammy233
    Well i just did some checking for you.There are currently no tsb's for this concern.There is some preliminary info about this exact complaint.In the PI it states that there is an internal problem with the generator,and to not attempt any repairs at this time.So basically until GM has a fix just be patient.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Yah Be Patient..don`t drive at night, turn off your DVD , turn off your fans , and pray to god that the "Computer" that controls this 2 Ton beast doesn`t have a Power Glitch and Have the "big one"..I know what I could do to control her, not sure my wife would though? Gm seems pretty confident this isn`t safety related albeit they don`t know whats causing it.." trust me this won`t hurt?..do you know what your doing? Of course I don`t.... ok then" Easy for Gm to make this statement they got my $36,000 CDN

Thanks

How bad is this light flicker everyone is experiencing?Did anyone read my previous thread?

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

she is getting progressively worse..now there is static in the speakers in relation to engine speed.

Walking
    Thanks

I am also a Technician and I also own a 2005 uplander. Well I was browsing my teck computer in the shop where I work and I discovered that there is a tsb on your problem. The tsb clearly states the problem with the flikering lights and says the alternator should be replaced.Hope this helps

Walking
    Thanks

Just to let everyone know. The tbs for the generator DOES NOT HELP!!!! I bought my montana in Jan. '06 ('05 leftover) We are now on our forth generator and still have the "power discharge". It's not only the lights that flicker but all accessories power down. This van is a electical nightmare. We have had multipal electrical "bugs" that come and go. Of corse mst of them are gone by the time it makes it to the dealer. Has anyone else had other electrical problem? This car has pushed me to the point that we have began the paperwork for lemon law.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by batt4
    Just to let everyone know. The tbs for the generator DOES NOT HELP!!!! I bought my montana in Jan. '06 ('05 leftover) We are now on our forth generator and still have the "power discharge". It's not only the lights that flicker but all accessories power down. This van is a electical nightmare. We have had multipal electrical "bugs" that come and go. Of corse mst of them are gone by the time it makes it to the dealer. Has anyone else had other electrical problem? This car has pushed me to the point that we have began the paperwork for lemon law.

GM has recently issued (revised) TSB # 05-06-03-003B (Headlamps and/or interior lights flicker intermittently) for the 2005 & 2006 Chevrolet Uplander, Buick Terraza, Saturn Relay, and Pontiac Montana SV6 - which instructs the dealer to replace the generator voltage regulator with a kit, part #15926088 (and NOT the entire generator).

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Walking
    Thanks

Been there done that. This next fix was done about 3 weeks ago. Made the problem a little better. The lights don't dim all the time but they still flicker at times. Mostly when you are accelerating either from a stop or when you are passing a car. normal driving down the road the power discharge happens ocationally. Thanks for you input

Thanks

I've read alot about this. I'd retrofit it with like an old Delco 10SL (I think they're called). Built in regulator and not this PCM controlled junk
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 164k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 90k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455/7.5L, Quadrajet, dual exhaust. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday.

'87 BMW K75. Pichler V1 fairing. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. 3.0L OMC. Restored. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. Twin 327QA's. Basketcase but restoration in progress. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV. 13 hp Honda swap.

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

Hammy, isn't this your third lemon replacement?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Old Dood's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1999 White C5 Coupe
    GM has recently issued (revised) TSB # 05-06-03-003B (Headlamps and/or interior lights flicker intermittently) for the 2005 & 2006 Chevrolet Uplander, Buick Terraza, Saturn Relay, and Pontiac Montana SV6 - which instructs the dealer to replace the generator voltage regulator with a kit, part #15926088 (and NOT the entire generator).

I hope this helps. Good luck.
    That makes a whole lot of sense. Electical problems are such a pain...
    TRY to Think Outside of the Box!
    Dag-Nab-It! I missed the thread titled:"Woman Kicked Off Train After 16-hour Cell Phone Chat"

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information