flaw in 2011 synergy green camaro paint or paint process

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: flaw in 2011 synergy green camaro paint or paint process

Walking
    Thanks

flaw in 2011 synergy green camaro paint or paint process

i am an owner of a barely new 2011 caramo SS syn green, i am very happy with the car, but have noticed what i consider a possible flaw in the paint or painting process at the plant in canada. let me start by saying i have started the process of trying to contact a GM rep for evalution of this issue, not just complaining here.

my vehicle was an early 2011 camaro SS offered in syn green color code 708S. i have had the car about 32 days, and it was produced in aug 2010. i think around mid august at that..i noticed that the doors and sides of the car showed a difference in shading of paint..i thought this was shadowing or flop associated with metallics with different substrates and angles and light hitting it..this turned out to be underspray or overspray depending on how u evaluate it..it seems to be an flaw in the basecoat, or more then likely the application of the basecoat. it appears to show stripes vertical in nature on the doors, and is more noticeable in direct sunlight..in low light, and close up note quite as much...after posting another thread on camaro5.com another SGM owner who had a car produced about the same time had the same issue...so i am asking if this is a recongized issue from the camaro plant in Canada from the paint, or painting process. clearly a warranty and quality issue...i am expecting this to be fixed, and had an independent paint shop (who i trust) may an objective observation..same conclusion..flaw in paint or pain process...i am posting pics of other camaro owners or GM owners who may have similar issues..i hope to get resolution or find out if this was a known in issue at the plant or in qual control. i would not have taken delivery had i noticed it before...1 time is a fluke 2 owners in diff states may be a TSB or recall etc...posting pics from another owner with same issue...

please post pics or PM me if u had similar issues in ur paint from GM or specifically as i think the camaro, and even possibly syn green metallic produced in aug 2010 or in 2011 production cycle..

most obvious in the doors...
    many thanks,
    matt in NC

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

Re: flaw in 2011 synergy green camaro paint or paint process

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ht=paint+shade

I know this isnt the exact issue you have but itll give you some information on the paint.

lol, you posted in that thread. didnt see your post at the end.
    Last edited by bballr4567; 10-24-2010 at 10:52 AM.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 caddycruiser's Avatar
    Thanks

I think I see the vertical stripes in your bottom picture, but the top is a blur.

A lot of Camaro paint "issues" are not issues, but simply how the light is reflected off the sharp bends, bulges, etc.--exactly as described in the Camaro5 link above, which has been beat to death. Optical illusion.

This doesn't seem to be that, hence the vertical lines or streaks. That is not normal.
    Certified car nut...ask me, I've probably owned it, driven it, sold it...or thought about it...

Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

Yea, is there a way to get a high res picture of the lower one? That way we can actually blow it up and see.

Walking
    Thanks

i have this TSB, and this is not the same issue, and i understand the issues with metallics, flop, and angles..this is cleary another issue of qaulity...i hope GM will see that...thanks for the TSB, i was looking for one as well, but i had an independent source verify this was not flop or angle...this is paint quality or trhe application of the paint..this was one of the 1st 11s off the line after the plant re-opened after biuld verification where they build a new year model to swap over tooling, procedures etc...so i am used to that with vettes, so i know this may be a hard one to prove to GM, but i am pretty sure this is not covered by the TSB for veiwing. i will post more pics as well to better illustrate the flaws that are being seen...
    thanks,
    matt

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ht=paint+shade

I know this isnt the exact issue you have but itll give you some information on the paint.

lol, you posted in that thread. didnt see your post at the end.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Try looking at it under different lighting as well. Fluorescent, incandescent and daylight to see if it makes a difference when taking pictures.

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

I can see what you're talking about. Paint seems to be a major issue with 5th generation Camaros, although it's usually excessive chipping that one hears about. I hope the cure isn't worse than the disease for you; I would be leery of a dealer body shop messing with my Camaro's paint.

I'm sorry you have this issue and I hope it gets resolved to YOUR satisfaction. Please keep us posted.

Thanks

I have actually noticed this on a few other cars as well. A recent Malibu with beige exterior and a Cadillac CTS and Buick LaCrosse with white pearl tintcoat. It is only noticeable in sunlight but yours is much more noticeable. I didn't think a camera would pick up the difference.

Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in T.O. View Post
    I have actually noticed this on a few other cars as well. A recent Malibu with beige exterior and a Cadillac CTS and Buick LaCrosse with white pearl tintcoat. It is only noticeable in sunlight but yours is much more noticeable. I didn't think a camera would pick up the difference.
    The white pearl is a funky color. Its certainly pretty and it can look 29 different shades in the same sunlight and from looking at the same angle. Ive seen the same thing at a Buick dealer here in town but every single one (they had about 6) had the same "defect" but in different areas of the car so I chalked it up to the paint. Id had to have to get it repaired after a wreck.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I saw it in the bottom pic then went back to the top and could easily identify the same 3 streaks in a vertical pattern approximately 2"-3" wide.. You should think long and hard about the repair.. That paint will be difficult to match. Get them to ship two syn green door skins to their body shop or that paint is gonna be tough to match without spraying the whole side/s. Good luck
    First 888 #219

Tune Time Performance Built
    402 Ultra lightweight Stroker by MCP
    475rwhp/444rwtq on a Mustang Dyno
    11.60 @121.01 1.83 60' stock gears & stall

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

I'll tell you right now you better be careful with the fix for your paint problem. I am a long time Vette owner and had one that I was stupid about that had a shading problem on the hood. I let the dealer try to fix it and they made a mess of it and after them trying to fix it about 10 times I gave up and went to a highly respected body shop in town and paid for it out of my own pocket. I kept that car for about 6 years and never was happy with that hood. The guy who knew what he was doing said he could match it perfectly but I wouldn't be happy with how much painting he would have to do to make sure everything was blended the right way.

Before you let the dealer fix it take it to a shop in your area who is highly respected for their paint work. If you don't know one contact a couple of the car clubs and ask them. They will know someone who is an expert.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC 2doorpost's Avatar
    Thanks

Having painted many a car metallic "back in the day" the flaw in your paint is obvious. Almost as if the spray pattern pulsed while making a pass.

Its gonna be tough getting a perfect match on that green. But I'm sure a quailty body shop can do it.

Walking
    Thanks

I have 30 years in painting automobiles & I think that this is not a flaw with the paint. I believe it to be a possible factory repair ? What gets me is the door being offcolor & darker than the front fender or quarter pannel. Most paints with a mid coat are very difficult to match when repainting. Also paints with alot of pearl is sometimes a pain in the butt. Most paint repairs require the paint to be blended on the next pannel as not to show off color & as not to be so noticable. In your case... the door might have possibly been repainted .. and it was panel painted . Even the whole door wasn't painted..it was probably blended on & the result is the being darker at the back of the door. The stripes in the paint is probably caused from getting the paint wet which will result in a darker & noticable spot from the paintguns fan pattern. Many things can affect the color of the paint from one day to the next .. even painting from the same can of paint. Take in consideration the air pressure from the gun, humidity in the air, how close or far away the gun is from the body & the speed of movement with the paintgun. The person that said for you to get a factory painted door skin is a fool. First off the door skin is crimped on and installing would bust the paint. Secondly your odds of getting a door to match perfectly is about slim to none. Find a wrecked car in a salvage yard with the same paint code & hang the door on your car.. I would almost guarantee you that it will not match. Some will say I don't know what I'm talking about.. well after 30 years of painting I assure you I do.
    Quote Originally Posted by NC_SG_SS View Post
    i am an owner of a barely new 2011 caramo SS syn green, i am very happy with the car, but have noticed what i consider a possible flaw in the paint or painting process at the plant in canada. let me start by saying i have started the process of trying to contact a GM rep for evalution of this issue, not just complaining here.

my vehicle was an early 2011 camaro SS offered in syn green color code 708S. i have had the car about 32 days, and it was produced in aug 2010. i think around mid august at that..i noticed that the doors and sides of the car showed a difference in shading of paint..i thought this was shadowing or flop associated with metallics with different substrates and angles and light hitting it..this turned out to be underspray or overspray depending on how u evaluate it..it seems to be an flaw in the basecoat, or more then likely the application of the basecoat. it appears to show stripes vertical in nature on the doors, and is more noticeable in direct sunlight..in low light, and close up note quite as much...after posting another thread on camaro5.com another SGM owner who had a car produced about the same time had the same issue...so i am asking if this is a recongized issue from the camaro plant in Canada from the paint, or painting process. clearly a warranty and quality issue...i am expecting this to be fixed, and had an independent paint shop (who i trust) may an objective observation..same conclusion..flaw in paint or pain process...i am posting pics of other camaro owners or GM owners who may have similar issues..i hope to get resolution or find out if this was a known in issue at the plant or in qual control. i would not have taken delivery had i noticed it before...1 time is a fluke 2 owners in diff states may be a TSB or recall etc...posting pics from another owner with same issue...

please post pics or PM me if u had similar issues in ur paint from GM or specifically as i think the camaro, and even possibly syn green metallic produced in aug 2010 or in 2011 production cycle..

most obvious in the doors...
    many thanks,
    matt in NC

Walking
    Thanks

Those verticle stripes in the paint...I see 3 in the door & they look as if maybe each is 5 inches wide ? I think this problem is due to equipment. The paint hasn't faded... fade will result in being lighter & this is the oppisite as being darker. I was looking in my 2010 paint book earlier today at this color & also at code 746s which is similiar but a litte darker green. I didn't see the 708s or the 746s in my 2011 book & thought that possibly it could have been used in early production 2011s built in 2010. My friend was looking at code 708s to paint a 1969 Camaro.I got here on this site by searching online to find out if 708s was used in 2011 & if so as to why the color isn't in my 2011 paint book. I will research more after the weekend & curious to see if it was used in 2009 or if this is a new color & short life. I personally wouldn't paint a car this color due to the problems with doing any future paint repair. Don't get me wrong.. the color looks nice. Same goes for any color with a mid coat (pearl) like diamonwhite,ect. For those that don't know what I'm talking about..its a base color then the mid coats of pearl is applyed and the clearcoated. The number of mid coats applied changes the color & very difficult to blend and the blend not show.

Walking
    Thanks

This is not due to a factory repair or from a bodyshop repair. The reason..a painter would be painting in a horizontal pass & these streaks are verticle. I would say there is a problem at the factory and most likely the equipment.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information